Food Plots Fruit Trees

camovol88

Where can you get fruit trees such as apples, persimmons, plum, etc. Lowes? can these trees prosper in the woods or do they need to be in feilds? when should they be planted and any specifics as to how to maintain them? also are these the best types of fruit for deer and if not im open to whatever! thanks in advance

Mr. Hawk

Dykes and sons nursery out of McMinnville. Protect with tubes, plant now. Tree protection supplies and others sell tubes.

tn droptine

I have bought trees from Lowes, but this time of year you would be hard pressed to find any. Online nurseries would be your best bet right now. Plant while they are still dormant (before spring greenup), and best bet would be fields or field edges - they will want plenty of sunlight! Definitely use tree tubes, helps with early growth and also protects them from critters. One other fruit that I plant is Pear, deer seem to really like them on my place.

PickettSFHunter

Need to be in full sunlight for the most part an protected with cages or tubes depending on what you have. Turners and Sons in Smithville is good but any nursery here wont have a good selection of disease resistant cultivars most of the time so that makes online options better in a lot of cases but the expense is generally more. Your question really requires a book to properly answer.

Florida Cracker 971

I have bought around 30 Realtree Nursery wildlife trees from Wal-Mart. I have Sawtooth Oak, persimmons & crab apple ( $25.00 each ). I planted in the open & in old pasture that I am letting nature take back over. I have planted in the spring & kept in original pots all summer & planted in the fall, all are doing awesome with 100% survival rate. Also these trees were only watered the day they were planted, nature took care of the rest. Remember to protect from the deer or your just throwing your money away. Start keeping an eye on the garden centers now because when they come in word will spread fast & they will be gone with Dunstan Chestnut trees selling out first.

Latest posts