Food Plots Forage oats

Jcalder

Anyone tried the forage oats from tractor supply. If memory serves me correctly they're a bit cheaper than the co-op. Not that it's deal breaker. The bigger issue is I think some of the seeds are carry overs from year to year. That is a concern for myself. Just wondering if y'all have tried any and how did they do

JCDEERMAN

I haven't. How much are they? Last time I got coop oats, I think they were $14? I did a test with them against the buck forage oats (expensive bag) and couldn't find a singe difference in preference between the two. Half the field had one and half the field had the other - had the camera on the dividing line.

Pioneer1789

Anyone tried the forage oats from tractor supply. If memory serves me correctly they're a bit cheaper than the co-op. Not that it's deal breaker. The bigger issue is I think some of the seeds are carry overs from year to year. That is a concern for myself. Just wondering if y'all have tried any and how did they do
I bought forage oats from TSC in February last year on clearance for 8.99 a bag. They did just fine. Came up well. A lot of them survived the winter and came back in the spring.

Jcalder

I haven't. How much are they? Last time I got coop oats, I think they were $14? I did a test with them against the buck forage oats (expensive bag) and couldn't find a singe difference in preference between the two. Half the field had one and half the field had the other - had the camera on the dividing line.
If I remember right, the buck forage oats, which is what I got and I think all that my local co-op carries was roughly $35-38 a bag. What tsc carries is a plotspike forage oat. I have no idea the actual difference, but they were $25ish a bag

Pioneer1789

If I remember right, the buck forage oats, which is what I got and I think all that my local co-op carries was roughly $35-38 a bag. What tsc carries is a plotspike forage oat. I have no idea the actual difference, but they were $25ish a bag
Plot Spike was the brand at TSC.

double browtine

I bought a 50 lb bag of feed oats for horses last fall for like $13. They came up great!
I planted them on august 28, pic was taken 17 Sept. I had added a 50 lb bag of triple 15 when I planted them. I also planted some turnip greens and red clover.

Attachments

• 327CF835-19FF-46FF-80D4-1962A4828BA3.jpeg
    327CF835-19FF-46FF-80D4-1962A4828BA3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67

BSK

I bought a 50 lb bag of feed oats for horses last fall for like $13. They came up great!
I planted them on august 28, pic was taken 17 Sept. I had added a 50 lb bag of triple 15 when I planted them. I also planted some turnip greens and red clover.
Just be VERY careful of "feed" oats and wheat. Yes, they will germinate and grow fine, but "feed" wheat and oats have not been cleaned of weed seeds. I used to use feed wheat due to the cheap cost and was pleased with germination and growth. HOWEVER, I also now have some truly nasty weeds in those plots I'm still fighting 15 years later!

Monk74

I usually look for the seed analysis tag on the bag of mixes or brand name seeds. It usually had seed type and variety. Then I try to source it separately. Most of the time from Co-op. Normally the mixes are higher.

Jcalder

I'm currently fighting ragweed in all my plants. I know the deer will eat it fine but it looks like its been sowed. Such a pain. They'll smother my beans out before my beans get big enough to take care of theirselves

BSK

I'm currently fighting ragweed in all my plants. I know the deer will eat it fine but it looks like its been sowed. Such a pain. They'll smother my beans out before my beans get big enough to take care of theirselves
You're absolutely correct that ragweed can smother a late planting of beans. But also remember ragweed is a highly preferred and nutritious plant for deer.

megalomaniac

Beans and sunflowers with the ragweed mixed in lol. Wish my beans done as well as the ragweed has. View attachment 81926View attachment 81925
That probably has more biomass for deer that they will actually eat than just about anything. Excellent summer plot! And I don't see any evil weeds offhand on the pics... should be easy to terminate with just gly late summer to plant your fall plot

deerfever

I caught them on sale last year at tractor supply and mixed them into my fall plot. The oats came in just fine, it was the plot spike forage oats.

deerfever

I feel your pain on the ragweed! Here is my sunflowers with it , it's good to know that it's beneficial! I will burn it down with gly like mega said before my fall plot goes in. I can't complain for a 15 dollar bag of sunflowers and no spraying whatsoever.

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_163213626_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210710_163213626_HDR.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 39

Jcalder

That probably has more biomass for deer that they will actually eat than just about anything. Excellent summer plot! And I don't see any evil weeds offhand on the pics... should be easy to terminate with just gly late summer to plant your fall plot
My biggest issue with the ragweed is I had plans on leaving the beans standing and planting my fall mix in with the standing beans. Obviously that won't work as planned now. But it's all trial and error so I'm not totally upset. Last season was a complete bust on the beans so I'm a bit ahead this time lol