Food Plots Buck Forage Oats

rem270

Think I've narrowed it down that I want to plant these this year behind my house and it's the buck forage oats. I am going to plant a separate plot of clover and I've always planted clover mid August and despite the drought we're having this year have always got good growth with the clover. Plan to do a long narrow strip of clover (roughly 125 yards long and 25' wide) and go beside it with the oats with about the same dimensions. Can I plant the oats in August as well or would it be best to plant more towards October? I will probably mix some chicory in too with the oats.

BSK

I have not planted oats early. I've planted wheat in August with excellent results, but not oats.

Any reason you are planting the clover and oats separately? I always mix cereal grains and clover in the same plot.

rem270

I have not planted oats early. I've planted wheat in August with excellent results, but not oats.

Any reason you are planting the clover and oats separately? I always mix cereal grains and clover in the same plot.
No other reason than I didn't know if one would smother the other. If they are ok to plant together I would love to do that. I always get 5-6 years out of my clover plots and didn't know if it would have any affect planting together. If I have good results with the oats I will plant yearly so I'd hate to re till my existing clover next year. Have you ever broadcasted oats or always tilled and planted?

BSK

No other reason than I didn't know if one would smother the other. If they are ok to plant together I would love to do that. I always get 5-6 years out of my clover plots and didn't know if it would have any affect planting together. If I have good results with the oats I will plant yearly so I'd hate to re till my existing clover next year. Have you ever broadcasted oats or always tilled and planted?
I don't use perennial clovers, only annuals, so tilling or redrilling is necessary.

I've had no problem with clovers choking cereal grains, or vice versa.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I planted a mix of wheat, oats, and crimson clover last year around the end of August with a timed rain. It was the best drawing plot Ive had in a while.
planting oats too earl, they can get stemy before the deer start to utilize it.

JCDEERMAN

planting oats too earl, they can get stemy before the deer start to utilize it.
Agreed. Plant too early and they will get out of the growth stage that deer like to eat them. Plant them at the right time, and they will stay young, palatable and green throughout the fall.

FWIW, I did an experiment about 10 years ago. I planted a 1 acre food plot - 1/2 in BFO and 1/2 in regular oats from co-op. I placed a camera on the dividing line. Could not tell a difference on deer preference. Just thought I would share

Boll Weevil

Early planters, don't overlook the threat of army worms. The can decimate a plot in days and if you see them it's already too late. They're less of a risk when weather starts to cool a bit.

BSK

Early planters, don't overlook the threat of army worms. The can decimate a plot in days and if you see them it's already too late. They're less of a risk when weather starts to cool a bit.
Army Worms absolutely wiped out my Cereal Rye plots last August. I had no idea rye is one of their referred foods. That's why I may not use Cereal Rye again. Worm didn't seem to like the Winter Wheat as much.

TNTreeman

I planted plain ol feed oats from tsc one time when I couldn't get anything else and they did fine. Also, I've had great luck with Marshal Rye. Maybe it has been blind luck but as an attractant late season it was hit harder than my wheat and oats. Could've been location near cover or whatever but it did well, prob not much nutrition but they hit it.

skipperbrown

I mix wheat, oats and crimson together. Just cut back the lbs per ac about 25%. There are several articles that suggest mix rates.

Usually the clover doesn't take off until spring and the field turns turns a beautiful red. Late spring it dies off and the wheat/oats form heads and dries up. The rabbits and turkeys seem to like the clover better and doves are plentiful when the wheat heads dry.

And get your soil sample done now.

Latest posts