Fly Tying Vise

East TN Bowhunter

Anybody have suggestions or have for sale a fly tying vise for trout and crappie flies? I am trying to get going tying my own and I have got thread, flash, and bucktail hair with a variety of colors and plenty of jigheads and colors. I also bought micro scissors, a whip finishing tool, and a thread bobbin. Just need the vise. Looking to stay under $150...

CATCHDAWG

I bought this one at Bass Pro several years ago and it's done me well. I know it's a little more than you wanted to spend but whatever you buy make sure you get a stand alone pedestal vice. Don't buy one that clamps onto a table ledge, they are very hard to work with.
^^^X2^^^
I have the same vice and it serves me very well. Much more user friendly than a clamp on type and I wouldn't even consider a non rotating type.

Buzzard Breath

Last edited:

7mm08

You don't need half that crap….
I've tied thousands flies for over 40 years and I have never used a whip finisher, hair stacker, or bobbin threader.

1. I tie a one handed whip finish knot. It's on the internet. Takes some practice just like everything else in life.

2. I use a .40 or .45 piece of brass for stacking deer hair.

3. Place the thread in the bottom of the bobbin, place the other end in your mouth and a quick suck later you have threaded your bobbin.

Good luck.

PS I use a Regal vice and have for 30+ years. I started on a Thompson. Both vices are non rotary .,.,,, Rotaries are a sales gimmick IMNHO!

Setterman

You don't need half that crap….
I've tied thousands flies for over 40 years and I have never used a whip finisher, hair stacker, or bobbin threader.

1. I tie a one handed whip finish knot. It's on the internet. Takes some practice just like everything else in life.

2. I use a .40 or .45 piece of brass for stacking deer hair.

3. Place the thread in the bottom of the bobbin, place the other end in your mouth and a quick suck later you have threaded your bobbin.

Good luck.

PS I use a Regal vice and have for 30+ years. I started on a Thompson. Both vices are non rotary .,.,,, Rotaries are a sales gimmick IMNHO!
Listen to these words! I don't have much else to offer other than I use a dyna king that I've had for about 25 years. Like 7mm I've tied untold numbers without half the gimmicks being sold today.

scn

I will disagree about the rotary function being a gimmick. While I don't know many tiers that are using the rotary to put materials on the fly, it is invaluable to being able to rotate the fly without taking it out of the vise to work on the bottom of some flies. And, if/when you start using the UV resins, it works well for leveling out the resin before curing it with the UV light.

MickThompson

Can you not cut it down?
If you do, align the tips and cut off the butt end of the hair. Otherwise it'll just look like a bad hair cut and all the movement is in the fine tips of the hair vs the butts.

I'm not saying it won't catch fish, just that it's not the best application for that material and there's better ones out there. You'll typically see bucktail as the choice for bass or striper-sized jigs. The stiffer hair helps hold a bigger profile.

East TN Bowhunter

If you do, align the tips and cut off the butt end of the hair. Otherwise it'll just look like a bad hair cut and all the movement is in the fine tips of the hair vs the butts.

I'm not saying it won't catch fish, just that it's not the best application for that material and there's better ones out there. You'll typically see bucktail as the choice for bass or striper-sized jigs. The stiffer hair helps hold a bigger profile.
That is what I was thinking I would do, cut from the butt end. I do see what you're saying though. Thanks for the info!

WTM

Find a Renzetti Traveler and have one for the rest of your life. Out of 7 employees at the fly shop, six are tying on some model of the Renzetti. I know someone that tied 150,000 (mostly commercial ) before he got a new set of jaws.
that looks very similar to a mayfly 2 i bought 5 years ago. built in the US as well.

WTM

I love my mayfly but couldn't find it on eBay or I was going to post it
i think the dude sold the company. looks like a couple of fly shops still sell them but they are higher price now. that rezelli may be a little more expensive but the jaws are tempered stainless steel which is a bit stronger than hardened mild steel.

here is the company that i think makes the mayfly 2 now and if the OP is jnterested might give them a call and ask about support if something breaks.

Latest posts