Fly Tying Vise

East TN Bowhunter

Thanks for all the replies! I think I may be getting one from someone. If that falls through, I might look into a Renzetti Traveler or a Colorado Angler EZ rotary vise on Amazon. The latter is $79 and can be clamped on and comes with a pedestal too. What kind of thread do yal use for crappie and trout flies?

East TN Bowhunter

8/0 uni thread. Grey, red and light yellow should cover all the bases. Don't worry too much about perfectly matching your thread to the fly color.
I have caught some good ones lately tied with red thread. I bought some 210 Denier red and black off Amazon and it seems a little thin compared to the flies I have been using.

Buzzard Breath

I have caught some good ones lately tied with red thread. I bought some 210 Denier red and black off Amazon and it seems a little thin compared to the flies I have been using.
210 denier is a large thread mainly used for bass flies. I think its equivalent is 3\0. 6\0 is more of a universal size used from trout flies to bass flies. 8\0 is a smaller thread used for trout flies. 8\0 is what I mainly used when I tied trout flies. Black is a good color and I know guys who use black for almost all their flies.

MickThompson

210 would be pretty good for tying jigs, especially starting out. If you break the thread, don't panic and start over- trap the tag end, maybe dab it with head cement (clear nail polish), and go again.