Fly fishing vests neccessities?

KPGman710

Starting to get into fly fishing and I'm slowly acquiring the equipment I think I need. Any suggestions would be helpful on what all to get. What I'm really wondering is what all do yall carry in your fishing vests. I always see fly fishers wearing vests with 20 pockets that are bulging. I have some flies, a reel and rod, hat, vest, waders, and wading boots. Am I missing something or do people like to carry a lot of extra stuff? Thanks in advance for advice and answers.

Iglow

Don't fall into that trap, you're not staying in the water for days. In the mountains I take a pair of hemostats/scissors , the little kind, a shirt pocket size tin with a few flies and some strike indicators some fly dry and some floatant and some tippet and that's it. It'll all fit in my shirt pockets. On tailwater Ive got a Fanny pack thing with the above but a different fly box and a couple extra leaders. I quit the vest thing long ago.

Iglow

Get you a shoe box or something to put the odds and ends in, and get some "glide" flyline cleaner and keep your line clean, it makes a big difference. I wax my flyrod a couple times a years with paste car wax too. You can use the car wax on the flyline in a pinch.

Setterman

I carry a small fly box, Tippett, nippers, one extra leader, some indicator yarn, a pair of forceps and some floatant all in a tiny Patagonia chest pack. Its hilarious how little I carry, but you just don't need much around here.

Buzzard Breath

I always like to carry some water and a snack, so I've been using a sling pack this year and it's been working good. Other than that, it's got minimal stuff in it; flybox, reading glasses, floatant, forceps with scissors, a couple spools of tippet, indicator yard, and a new leader.

Sometimes when I'm wading for smallmouth and only have an hour or so, I'll just carry a lanyard with a couple poppers and streamers on a fly patch, a spool of tippet, and my forceps with scissors.

CATCHDAWG

I just use a small chest pack and also carry minimal equipment but three items I carry that haven't been mentioned are a threading/knot tying tool that I basically have to have with my old eyes using 5/6X tippet and small flies. I also have a small piece of suede for removing memory from a leader and a small shammy for when my reading or sunglasses fog up.
And one totally unnecessary item is a little tripod for my phone to take pics and videos simply because I like to take pics and videos.🙂

TboneD

Years ago when I fished the Caney Fork (tail water), this time of year all I really needed was some 6x fluorocarbon tippet, an extra 5x 9 ft leader, a few extra strike indicators, forceps, a water bottle, small ziplock for my wallet, phone and some TP, and my little box full of my various tungsten bead head black fly imitations. I used a neck lanyard some but could manage it all with a good fishing shirt if I recall. Don't really need a vest for the Smokies, either.

However, If I'm fishing when we go out to see our daughter in Denver or anywhere else I'm not too familiar with I'll have a vest or chest pack on with a lot more tackle. Bottom line is how much I know about the stream, how long a day it's gonna be, and how far I am from my vehicle determines how minimalist I can go.

moondawg

I had one many many years ago, and crammed as much as I could in the pockets, thinking I needed it all. I've since gotten rid of it, as it was extra weight during the summer. Nowadays, I just carry a small sling bag, or the Fishpond San Juan pack. I only carry minimal gear. My lure selection is a bit different than fly fishing as I prefer a spinning rod.

Latest posts