First Season Turkey Hunter, Any Advice?

Harvester

You can trim off the tape around the mouth call for a better fit and it can reduce the gaggin a lot. Main thing is, Start by cutting off 1/16" at a time until you get the right fit.

Jroberts238

skillet said:
Let nature be your locating call at first light. I would get a crow call and practice with it. Are you hunting public land or lease land?

Most of the month will probably be spent in South Cherokee, but I'd like to try Prentice Cooper.

I see your from the area, have you tried either one?

deerhunter10

running a mouth call is pretty cool and all and the best thing about them is its not any movement. but as a beginner I would definitely recommend a slate call. you can learn faster and do every call you can pretty much ever wanna do on them. I very rarely use a mouth call. but through out this thread you have gotten great advice. wes said it best and was a great post. I would also highly recommend going with someone that is a avid turkey hunter and knows what they are doing. you will learn a ton from them. when you go out you will learn something new every single time just like all of us do. I think you'll enjoy it turkey hunting is a blast. the best way to learn is to get out there and learn! good luck and good hunting!

blueridge

It's only my second year hunting turkey so I may be wrong but here's a link you tube to a competition caller who I think knows what he's doing it's about PATIENCE! Which I need more of I seem to use it all up during deer season! LOL

BTW. he knows how to call well so check out his other videos.

Jroberts238

deerhunter10 said:
running a mouth call is pretty cool and all and the best thing about them is its not any movement. but as a beginner I would definitely recommend a slate call. you can learn faster and do every call you can pretty much ever wanna do on them. I very rarely use a mouth call. but through out this thread you have gotten great advice. wes said it best and was a great post. I would also highly recommend going with someone that is a avid turkey hunter and knows what they are doing. you will learn a ton from them. when you go out you will learn something new every single time just like all of us do. I think you'll enjoy it turkey hunting is a blast. the best way to learn is to get out there and learn! good luck and good hunting!

I been practicing with a slate call. When I first bought it it sounded great and I was starting to get yelps, clucks, and purrs down pretty good. Picked it up today and something just doesn't seem right. Sound is coming out too high pitched, sometimes its barely making a sound. I tried different angles but its not really working the same.

I read something about roughing up the slate with something like a Brilo pad. Anyone tried this?

skillet said:
I have not yet, but plan on it also this year. Good luck!

Thanks, same to you. If your up for it maybe we could get together learn the area together. I pretty much grew up in both sets of woods. Used to ride 4 wheelers at Prentice Cooper with my Dad.

whiskey

You need to condition the slate and the striker tip daily, if not more. Cut a square of green scotch brite pad and rub back and forth keeping the scratches going the same direction. Go to YouTube and search, conditioning turkey call

SBD1

For me, patience and being hidden (i.e. setup) are two keys for new hunters. Turkeys are the toughest animals to hunt in our part of the world. When you locate a gobbler, consider setting up in an area where you can see but not be seen. I can't count the number of times I've been "busted" by a gobbler - or hen for that matter...because I rushed the set-up. Good Luck and get used to unloading your shotgun from the back end :) It is a great time of year to be outside enjoying God's creation and watching everything come alive.

Jroberts238

whiskey said:
You need to condition the slate and the striker tip daily, if not more. Cut a square of green scotch brite pad and rub back and forth keeping the scratches going the same direction. Go to YouTube and search, conditioning turkey call

Worked perfect! Once I roughed it up a little sound came back great. I was about to trash the thing lol.

Any tips for getting a good purr with the slate? I have watched several youtube videos, but just can't get it just right. It will start out sounding OK then it stops purring and just sounds like a solid tone.

SBD1 said:
For me, patience and being hidden (i.e. setup) are two keys for new hunters. Turkeys are the toughest animals to hunt in our part of the world. When you locate a gobbler, consider setting up in an area where you can see but not be seen. I can't count the number of times I've been "busted" by a gobbler - or hen for that matter...because I rushed the set-up. Good Luck and get used to unloading your shotgun from the back end :) It is a great time of year to be outside enjoying God's creation and watching everything come alive.

I been really researching how to setup. Do the leafy suits help much or is it better to just stick with regular camo and use twigs and natural cover?

Area I will be hunting is probably going to be mostly wooded (South Cherokee). Been trying to find small clearings using google earth but not having any luck.

Wompuscat

My advice is don't do it. You are about to embark on something that you may not be able to get out of. You are in for a lot of sleep deprivation, talking to yourself, cramps, naps in the woods, ticks, amongst other things. So my best advice would be to try Meth or Crack or something.

deerhunter10

]
deerhunter10 said:
Jroberts238 said:
whiskey said:
Worked perfect! Once I roughed it up a little sound came back great. I was about to trash the thing lol.
Any tips for getting a good purr with the slate? I have watched several youtube videos, but just can't get it just right. It will start out sounding OK then it stops purring and just sounds like a solid tone.[/quote]

what slate call are you using? I have some that don't purr good then some that do it just depends on the call and striker.

Jroberts238

wompuscat said:
My advice is don't do it. You are about to embark on something that you may not be able to get out of. You are in for a lot of sleep deprivation, talking to yourself, cramps, naps in the woods, ticks, amongst other things. So my best advice would be to try Meth or Crack or something.

bahahaha yeah I am starting to see that.

BHC

I have a question, sorry not to hijack your thread, but this thread is about learning so I'll ask it here... A few guys have said let nature be your locating call, etc. basically don't use an owl call. Why? I am jus curious.. I have always used an owl call and many times get another owl hooting, which many times. Keeps the bird gobbling as I ease on in closer.. And if not I many times hoot 10-12 times to really really pinpoint the exact location of the bird I'm after. I'm curious what you guys do and why... I don't do this of course when birds are hot and gobbling like crazy on the roost...

whiskey

Any tips for getting a good purr with the slate? I have watched several youtube videos, but just can't get it just right. It will start out sounding OK then it stops purring and just sounds like a solid tone.

what slate call are you using? I have some that don't purr good then some that do it just depends on the call and striker.

lighter pressure and a constant angle for your striker. I sent a slate a striker in the box and they purr really well together. Try going in a straight line, then try it with a little arc to your line. Move closer to the center to learn the purr, then move towards the edge to get the pitch you like. Make sure your striker hand is rested on the call, not floating around.

PalsPal

My advice would be to sell all of the stuff you have bought and get that crazy notion out of your head.

This can lead no where other than a crazed addiction that will end up consuming all of your time during spring for the rest of your life :) !

PalsPal

BHC said:
I have a question, sorry not to hijack your thread, but this thread is about learning so I'll ask it here... A few guys have said let nature be your locating call, etc. basically don't use an owl call. Why? I am jus curious.. I have always used an owl call and many times get another owl hooting, which many times. Keeps the bird gobbling as I ease on in closer..

The only reason I can think some don't like them is they hunt areas where there are tons of birds or there are other people blowing them like they are playing in an orchestra.

Most gobbles, especially at dawn, are shock gobbles; whether it be to real crows, owls, geese, cows, mules, hen talk, etc. If there is enough "noise", you shouldn't need them. However, on those mornings when the woods are quiet, I do like you. The birds can't tell if I am real or not, and like you mentioned, if real owls get cranked then you know you are doing it correctly.

chatthunting

Ok, lets see if I have anything helpful to add. This will be my 3 season for turkey hunting. I have not killed one yet but every year I learn a little more. In my opinion patients is the absolute no questions asked number 1 requirement. I mastered this last year. I had come closest to killing a tom than ever before. I had that booger with in 40 yards strutting back and forth. Only problem was my set up was wrong and there was alot of brush between us. I did not feel like I would have a clean shot. So for 5 to 10 minutes I watched him strut back and forth and my little heart broke and I realized it wasn't going to happen. Oh I forgot to mention I had to be at work in an hour! See I had tried out a spot, and wasn't sure if birds were in there or not. Well I was fooled and Mr. Tom won. So I know now if I can sit there and watch a tom strut back and forth and not scare him and just wait it out thats a win for me as well. remmber patients. And everything else will fall in line. Good luck!

Latest posts