Finally got my popcorn patch turned…

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Even though I understand all the reasons not to do this, there is something so very satisfying about turning the soil.
IMG_0941.jpeg

Turned in a pretty good stand of wheat and crimson clover. Gonna try something different this year, when I side dress the corn at about 8 inches tall I am gonna sow crimson clover over the whole patch for nitrogen and weed control.

dirtyhands

Even though I understand all the reasons not to do this, there is something so very satisfying about turning the soil.
View attachment 177940
Turned in a pretty good stand of wheat and crimson clover. Gonna try something different this year, when I side dress the corn at about 8 inches tall I am gonna sow crimson clover over the whole patch for nitrogen and weed control.
I'd love to know how this turns out. I've thought about doing the exact same thing.

backyardtndeer

when I side dress the corn at about 8 inches tall I am gonna sow crimson clover over the whole patch for nitrogen and weed control
That is an interesting idea, let us know how it works out. With the clover being nitrogen fixing and the corn being a heavy nitrogen user, should be a perfect match. I plant beans on either side of my corn, but with the spacing don't know that the corn really benefits much.

killingtime 41

I usually throw down straw once I side dress between 8inch to a foot tall just to keep the weeds down. Never considered the clover aspect for weed control and nitrogen output. Take some pics as it comes along. I'd be interested in the results.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I'd love to know how this turns out. I've thought about doing the exact same thing.
Well, I didn't get my corn planted early and with the lack of rain in Trigg county, the corn got off to a slow and weak start. Finally had to put in sprinklers and water it. Side dressed , planted blank areas and broadcast crimson clover. 5 pounds on 1/10 acre. Little to no rain for weeks so I sprinkled again. Turned off hot and here come the weeds! With the heat the crimson was slow to germinate and my experiment is a flop. Maybe next year I get an earlier start

Latest posts