Decent, but skinny, bird this morning.

RoyalPrudent

bird 4-29.jpg
spur 4-29.jpg

Interesting bird this morning. He gobbled from sunup till 9 almost non-stop. His spurs make me think he's probably a three year-old, but the beard is thin, shows signs of rot and only measures nine inches. The bird has no visible wounds or illness, but he weighed 18.2 lbs. Side note: the spurs were right an inch. Didn't mean to make them look any longer.

I've got no complaints, but that may be one of the lightest long-beards I've ever killed. Sorry the pics aren't better but I had no photographer today.

As for tactics, I didn't know where he was roosted pre-dawn and set up in the wrong spot. I had to relocate twice to find an area he was willing to come to. Light yelps and leaf scratches did the trick. He came in tall and cautious and closed to 20 yards.

ROVERBOY

Congratulations, I killed one several years ago that had 1 1/8" spurs and weighed 17 1/2 lbs. My brother killed one years ago that had 1 1/16" spurs, and a 10" beard and weighed 15 1/4 lbs. Weird.

Plateau Hunter

View attachment 225680View attachment 225681

Interesting bird this morning. He gobbled from sunup till 9 almost non-stop. His spurs make me think he's probably a three year-old, but the beard is thin, shows signs of rot and only measures nine inches. The bird has no visible wounds or illness, but he weighed 18.2 lbs. Side note: the spurs were right an inch. Didn't mean to make them look any longer.

I've got no complaints, but that may be one of the lightest long-beards I've ever killed. Sorry the pics aren't better but I had no photographer today.

As for tactics, I didn't know where he was roosted pre-dawn and set up in the wrong spot. I had to relocate twice to find an area he was willing to come to. Light yelps and leaf scratches did the trick. He came in tall and cautious and closed to 20 yards.
Hey, very nice gobbler!

Shag

Weight isn't an exact correlation to age. IMHO, they are just like people, deer, dogs, whatever. Some are just bigger than others…be it genetics, growth rate, metabolism, or stress/lack of food at the right or wrong times. Second heaviest deer I ever killed was just 2.5 years old…but he was long bodied and built like a tank. Hell, I'm 40 and 5'8"…I know 15 year old kids that are 6'3" and 230 pounds. Doesn't make them older or smarter just because they are bigger. Granted, I know turkeys don't vary THAT much…but it's the same principle.

Union Co. Boy

Highest scoring bird I have ever killed weighed a paltry 19 lbs. He was fighting when I shot him and had old and new spur wounds to spare. He was the boss, but worked himself skinny maintaining that status and breeding. 32.5 inches of length in 4 beards and some great spurs. Just stretched thin like a buck toward the end of rut. Killed that bird the day before season closed that year.

ROVERBOY

There's nothing wrong with a skinny one. I like good spurs and beards. The 17 1/2 lb. bird I killed was a 3 morning deal. He would gobble on the roost several times, and when he hit the ground he was gone. I ambushed him on the 3rd morning.