Popcorn is ready

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
2021 crop is dry and shelled, now to clean it, package and freeze. This is about 33% of what 2020 crop was. 2nd pic is what's left of 2020 crop. Our extended family eats a lot of popcorn!View attachment 129902
16597D77-7B70-4182-B356-906736480210.jpeg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
That's a lot of popcorn. How do you pop it mostly, microwave or popper? Is that an old time corn sheller?
Pop it on the stove is best. I get this variety from Shumway, white hulless and has a great flavor. not huge pops but little to no husk in your teeth. I just use a pot, tilt the lid to let the steam out or its chewy, 2 pats of butter and a little olive oil. takes a little practice to get the temp right and to know when to take it up before it burns add a little black pepper to the oil makes it real good. yea that sheller was hard to find it has a slot / passage for small ears on the far end. A lot of the ears are so skinny a regular sheller wont touch them. I also added a layer of milk jug plastic to better narrow the passage and get a good shelling. I will clean seed this weekend and will add a pic of the home built seed cleaner powered by a shop vac. It aint pretty but it works.

Last edited:

SES

That's awesome. We recently went to stovetop cooking popcorn instead of microwave bags. A lot cheaper and a lot better. I put one of the mesh splatter guards on top of the pot so we can watch it pop.

DaveB

I have had an air popper for 20 years. Before that a 2 gallon soup pot.

Wife and kids want me to liven things up.....Like candy coatings, some not-hot-spice stuff we have, and some jalapeno dust.

Anyone have a favorite?

Chapman

I have had an air popper for 20 years. Before that a 2 gallon soup pot.

Wife and kids want me to liven things up.....Like candy coatings, some not-hot-spice stuff we have, and some jalapeno dust.

Anyone have a favorite?
Have you ever made popcorn balls? I have made them with Steen's Cane Syrup, a local syrup that is popular here. Here is the reciepe. https://www.steenssyrup.com/post/popcorn-balls

Latest posts