Final Four

Scioto

What a weekend (long weekend) of great basketball. I think every game (except UK v WVU) was down to the wire.

Utmost respect for Tom Izzo. He's a big game coach. And to think he has to recruit kids to come to East Lansing. Ditto for Bo Ryan. I love watching Wisky play basketball. Nothing needs to be said about Coach K. His over 1000 wins and multiple champions speak for themselves. Calipari is a much better coach than he's given credit and he's the one chasing history which also speaks for itself. What a contrast in coaching and program styles. Izzo and Ryan couldn't accomplish what they do without juniors and seniors. K seems to be trying to straddle two worlds and Calipari embraces the most talented bunch of one and doners. Still all four get their players to sublimate the self for the team and wins baby.

In my office pool this is my Final Four. I really want to see Wisky and Sparty play for the fourth time but my small payday has UK beating Duke. Looking forward to next weekend. I think it's amusing that yet again the B1G gets no respect but has two teams left.

Scioto

It was just luck that I picked MSU. Tough call about UVA. I really liked them too and thought a month ago they were one of maybe 3 or 4 teams who might have a chance vs UK, but then they hit a down spin and couldn't pull out. I also thought Villanova was a good pick but after watching MSU take Wisky to overtime in the B1G I threw my lot in with Izzo.

Vermin93

My preference for national champion, in order...

1. Duke
2. Wisconsin
3. Michigan State
4. Kentucky

Duke, Wisconsin and Michigan State are all pretty close for me. I just don't want Kentucky to win it.

72148972005.gif
tommy-submachine-gun.gif

PalsPal

OHVATN":21jbiv1e said:
Utmost respect for Tom Izzo. He's a big game coach.

I agree. He's the best coach in the game.

The Elite 8 games were some of the best, as a collection, that I can remember. The losers of those games will have a hard time dealing with the losses because all of them had chances to win with a play here or there.

I mean ND basically lost heir game by failing to block out on a free throw. That has to hurt!

Scioto

I predict that UK goes 40-0 and then Calipari is going to bolt to the NBA. UK fans better enjoy this time, because it's not going to be very enjoyable when your football team has a better post-season than the basketball team over the next several years while the successor coaches ("coaches" is intentional) try and rebuild. Calipari is a very good coach and an even better recruiter but there isn't going to be a cupboard after he and the 5-10 NBA players exit.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Granted I know nothing about college basketball, but what would Calipari gain by leaving KY?
More money?
I am sure he is doing quite well.
I just don't see him leaving.

encore06

OHVATN":3vsg2vgm said:
I predict that UK goes 40-0 and then Calipari is going to bolt to the NBA. UK fans better enjoy this time, because it's not going to be very enjoyable when your football team has a better post-season than the basketball team over the next several years while the successor coaches ("coaches" is intentional) try and rebuild. Calipari is a very good coach and an even better recruiter but there isn't going to be a cupboard after he and the 5-10 NBA players exit.
Keep on dreaming and drinking your Kool-Aid. If, and I do mean If, Calapari decides to head to the NBA, I wish him the best. Not only has he signed some of the top prospects at UK over the past 5 years, but those players are top-notch student-athletes. There has been none, not one instance of a UK player getting out of hand during Cal's watch. Most of them are involved in community service, most notably Willie Cauley-Stein and Marcus Lee. Willie Cauley-Stein, or WCS as he is often called, has developed an intense relationship with a 9 yo cancer patient, calling and/or texting him daily. Marcus Lee has been secretly dedicating his time to sick children around Kentucky by visiting them and writing letters. So while people tend to fuss about Cal and his "one and done" players, many fail to look deeper and see that these players are quality students, and excellent role models. But getting back to Cal leaving, if he did UK would have no problem getting another top-quality coach, as UK sits at the top of NCAA Men's Basketball. From the school, to the facilities, to the fans, no other school compares. How many players will leave and sign with an NBA team, thereby satisfying a life-long dream??? I don't know and neither does anyone else. I predict 4; Karl Anthony Townes, Devin Booker, WCS, and Trey Lyles. I don't believe the Harrisons twins will leave, but I may be wrong. I hope the Wildcats cuts down the nets, but if they don't, its not the end of the world.

That's it, carry on.

Scioto

RUGER":3g1guc4a said:
Granted I know nothing about college basketball, but what would Calipari gain by leaving KY?
More money?
I am sure he is doing quite well.
I just don't see him leaving.

If UK wins out, he will have won his second national championship and will have just gone 40-0, the first to go undefeated since Indiana in 1976 and no team has ever won 40 games in a season. He previously failed as a coach in the NBA. These guys, all of them, Izzo, Coach K, Calipari, Pitino, Roy Williams, etc., have huge egos. That's not a negative. It's a job requirement. That failure has to needle him. Yes, I'm sure he's paid a handsome sum by UK plus the endorsement deals but believe me the NBA can still pay him a lot more. A lot more. He wouldn't have to recruit and wouldn't have all the NCAA rules and regulations to contend with. He would have an offseason and make more money. What more could he accomplish? He just went 40-0 and won the national championship. What hasn't he accomplished? An NBA championship. Success as an NBA coach. And I'm sure he's grown as a coach and more importantly he's certainly developed a knack for getting very talented individuals to play together and win as a team. I think he thinks he knows how to motivate and counsel today's high-strung, highly talented, best athletes in the world NBA basketball players and wants that challenge. But after all, this is just my opinion.

Scioto

encore06":1q3jdfgf said:
OHVATN":1q3jdfgf said:
Keep on dreaming and drinking your Kool-Aid. If, and I do mean If, Calapari decides to head to the NBA, I wish him the best. Not only has he signed some of the top prospects at UK over the past 5 years, but those players are top-notch student-athletes. There has been none, not one instance of a UK player getting out of hand during Cal's watch. Most of them are involved in community service, most notably Willie Cauley-Stein and Marcus Lee. Willie Cauley-Stein, or WCS as he is often called, has developed an intense relationship with a 9 yo cancer patient, calling and/or texting him daily. Marcus Lee has been secretly dedicating his time to sick children around Kentucky by visiting them and writing letters. So while people tend to fuss about Cal and his "one and done" players, many fail to look deeper and see that these players are quality students, and excellent role models. But getting back to Cal leaving, if he did UK would have no problem getting another top-quality coach, as UK sits at the top of NCAA Men's Basketball. From the school, to the facilities, to the fans, no other school compares. How many players will leave and sign with an NBA team, thereby satisfying a life-long dream??? I don't know and neither does anyone else. I predict 4; Karl Anthony Townes, Devin Booker, WCS, and Trey Lyles. I don't believe the Harrisons twins will leave, but I may be wrong. I hope the Wildcats cuts down the nets, but if they don't, its not the end of the world.

That's it, carry on.

Hah! I think you are drinking the Koo-Aid. :lol: I hope the "Cats" do win because then I'll win a little bit of money.

I think Mudbone said that someone he works with will win $100 grand if UK wins. Mine would be about $99,850 less than that. :lol:

Mudbone

OHVATN":pu8eoncd said:
encore06":pu8eoncd said:
OHVATN":pu8eoncd said:

That's it, carry on.

Hah! I think you are drinking the Koo-Aid. :lol: I hope the "Cats" do win because then I'll win a little bit of money.

I think Mudbone said that someone he works with will win $100 grand if UK wins. Mine would be about $99,850 less than that. :lol:
Yep. 64000 after taxes. It would take him two years to make that working for me! I want him to have money, but I still had to pull for the Irish the other night. He's stupid enough he'll probably quit WHEN he wins it.

Latest posts