Feel like I failed as a hunter.

Nockdeep

This year I decided to develop a bad case of buck fever(even doe fever). I missed more deer in the last week than I have in the last 10 years and now I lost 2 (but i know they will recover). I went out this morning and started seeing deer as soon as the sun came up. Had a mature doe come in to 7 yards. I drew, centered my 20yd pin low in the vitals and released... To my suprise the cam of my bow hit my stand and I hit low. I got down to check the arrow and heard something walking behind me, a doe was walking down the same trail as the first one, I quickly got behind a large tree and drew, she stop at 5yds and I shot. I hit center of the shoulder and 90% of my arrow bounce back at me. I tracked the first deer for over a half mile and jumped her 5hrs after the shot, I seen where I hit her( through the brisket) she never dropped another spec of blood. The second deer I watch run in to the brush and stop for several minutes before she walked out and crossed the field. I found hair at the point of impact but no blood, not even where she stopped. I am hoping both deer make a full recover as I feel no organs or arteries were hit. With this being said I have taken over 20 deer in the last 10yrs with a few nice bucks mixed in. Rarely have I missed before this year and this is my first time losing a deer. I feel horrible, almost want to give up bowhunting because I feel I wasn't fair to either deer today.

Nockdeep

I checked everything when I got home, it's still tuned and hitting on. I am out of my usually broadhead so I picked a pack of name brand mechs, not saying what kind, but it has an aluminum ferrule and I am thinking it broke when it hit the heavy bone. Not say its the broadheads fault because I should have hit 2" farther back but I have hit there with grim reapers and slick tricks before and I wasn't an issue. I really thought I had that one.

Nockdeep

Hopefully I will get a chance to make it out this week. After dwelling on it sense early this morning, I'll make sure my bow clears my shooting rail and maybe I will start aiming back a little bit. I normally aim fairly tight to the shoulder and aiming back a few more inches should help prevent this from happening again.

Bone Collector

You're seeing deer, so you can't be "failing" as a hunter. these things happen. it took me years to kill my first bow deer. I hit one in the brisket, and missed a few before I killed one.

and guess what after I killed my first deer a doe, I went after a buck. The next deer I had a shot at was a little 6 point and when I shot the cam hit the shooting rail and I missed. it happens.

catman529

I've lost more than I should have due to deer fever and it always makes me depressed and think about quitting, but I know I will pick up the bow again and the best I can do is take a little more time to calm down and focus on the shot. And of course practice. I keep it to 20 yards or less. Got one at 19 today. Sorry you lost both but it sounds like they will live. Get back out there and keep your head up, just drill into your head that you need to slow down a bit and take your time on the shot, remember it's just a deer and it's not hard to make a decent shot

bowriter

R.I.P.
Get on your practice range and set a target at 5-yards. Draw, aim and close your eyes. Take a deep breath, relax and shoot with your eyes closed. Do this about 10X rest and repeat. Shoot about 50-times total, all withy our eyes closed.

Now, after a thorough rest, shoot a few at 20, withy our eyes open. Then, the next time you draw on a deer, close your eyes for a few seconds, then open them, aim and release.

Buckbuster03

Good advice from Bowriter. Also, don't get bent out of shape. Both of the scenarios you described seem like very abnormal conditions and neither really should be chalked up as "deer fever".

1st) you hit the arm of your climber, i've had it happen once, learned from it, since have adjusted my seat so that my arm sits a lot lower, hasn't happened since on almost 50 shots at animals.

2nd) you shot at a deer from the ground at 5 YARDS. Most that haven't experienced that in person would say how the heck can you make a bad shot??? I say to that person, Have you ever shot a deer at 5 yards from the ground with a bow??? I didn't think so.

Just shake it off, shoot your bow enough to regain your confidence, and get back out there. Just make sure the next shot you take at an animal is one that you feel extremely comfortable making.

Final advice is just like you said, back away from the shoulder a little. If you are shooting a high-powered rifle I say stay right where you are at but with a bow there's very little room for error if that's where you are aiming. Doesn't matter what broadhead you choose if you hit the meat of that shoulder bone your chances of recovery are going to be slim to none. - My 2 cents.

bowriter

R.I.P.
How to hit the right spot.

Bring the proper sight pin up the back of the front leg. When it is three inches above the belly line, release. That is for broadside shot and should get the top of the heart and both lungs.
For all shots on a going away deer, aim for the offside shoulder dead center. On an approaching deer, unless the deer is under 15-yards, just wait. On a close deer at under 15-yards, hold one inch to the side of center of the brisket. (I do not recommend this shot unless you have a lot of experience)

One of the deadliest shots in all of bowhunting, the Texas heart shot should not be taken unless you really have a lot of experience. However, a well placed THS will usually drop the deer within 20-yards. You want to hit 1" under the base of the tail and the arrow should bury up to the fletchings. I DO NOT SUGGEST ANYONE TAKE THIS SHOT.

Methane

bowriter said:
How to hit the right spot.

Bring the proper sight pin up the back of the front leg. When it is three inches above the belly line, release. That is for broadside shot and should get the top of the heart and both lungs.
For all shots on a going away deer, aim for the offside shoulder dead center. On an approaching deer, unless the deer is under 15-yards, just wait. On a close deer at under 15-yards, hold one inch to the side of center of the brisket. (I do not recommend this shot unless you have a lot of experience)

One of the deadliest shots in all of bowhunting, the Texas heart shot should not be taken unless you really have a lot of experience. However, a well placed THS will usually drop the deer within 20-yards. You want to hit 1" under the base of the tail and the arrow should bury up to the fletchings. I DO NOT SUGGEST ANYONE TAKE THIS SHOT.

Some great tips right there! Thank you.

I've killed two with the Texas Heart Shot. Both instances I was aiming at a broadside deer. Both jumped just right and the results were nothing but the nock sticking out about an inch, just an inch or so to the side of the anus. I was not purposely aiming at the anus.

Nockdeep

I have shot several at close range before shot placement has never been an issue. On the first doe I am fairly certain it would have been a good hit if my cam didn't hit my shooting rail(first time hunting in a climber) and the second one I got doe fever and tighten my grip on my bow which for a right handed shooter will cause you to hit left. Either way I have learned from my mistakes and will be back out as soon as possible. I go to 3D shoots all the time to prepare for deer season and have even gotten high score of the day a few time. I know it's not my shooting ability, it's a combination of adrenalin(which is hasn't been an issue in many years) factors such as shoot in a new stand. I am confident next time I have an opportunity I with hit the "12" ring.

WRbowhunter

sometimes its the law of averages playing catch up. crap happens then you move on. Had the same thing happen to me about 5 years ago. seems everything went wrong until I had a big 8 pt come wondering in and made a good shot.then thinkgs picked up. All you can do is prepare the best you can.

Latest posts