Pretty Much Over for Me but I Feel Good.

rifle02

No, I'm not talking about my hunting life. I'm 71 years old and plan to keep on for many years. I'm talking about the 2023 season. I got to say it's the best season I've had in several years. I hadn't killed a buck since Thanksgiving of 2020. I always kill at least two deer that my wife and I eat. It has been does for a few years. Thanksgiving day this year I killed two does in the morning. Just getting that part of the business out of the way. Friday the day after Thanksgiving I saw an awesome buck and for some reason did not shoot. 10 minutes or so later I killed a 10 pointer who was nothing special but I have never killed a 10-pointer before so I was happy about that. On my own property that I have had for 2 years now I have not killed a buck and I've actually seen very few bucks it's a small property. Yesterday, Wednesday I sat in an elevated blind watching my pitiful little food plot that I have struggled with. With about 15 minutes of daylight left they started trickling out nibbling on the winter wheat, at least I think that's what it is I planted a mix and very little of it grew. This is in a different unit than where I killed two does a few weeks ago so I could still kill a doe in this unit. I did not want to I really wanted to harvest a buck on my own property. Eventually I saw antlers on two of them one was a pretty decent eight point and when he didn't have his little buddy right behind him I took the shot and just as it was almost too dark to see He piled up just shy of going in a terrible Briar Patch, thank the Lord for that. So I will have a full freezer killed my first 10 pointer and killed a young buck with a very pretty eight-point rack on my own property that I established my own food plot. I'm pretty satisfied with the season and I think I will end it. I do have a friend who has missed all the hunting season due to knee surgery and he thinks he'll be up and around to try it the week after Christmas so I will maybe take him there and hopefully get him something. Also notable this is the first season I have used lead-free bullets. I'm still processing that I may make a future Thread about the results I had.

Snake

Congrats on a really good season . I've been thinking about going again but just can't get up the desire to just kill a doe or a coyote. Got enough meat being tagged out so I get-up only to talk myself out of going .

Last edited:

kaizen leader

No, I'm not talking about my hunting life. I'm 71 years old and plan to keep on for many years. I'm talking about the 2023 season. I got to say it's the best season I've had in several years. I hadn't killed a buck since Thanksgiving of 2020. I always kill at least two deer that my wife and I eat. It has been does for a few years. Thanksgiving day this year I killed two does in the morning. Just getting that part of the business out of the way. Friday the day after Thanksgiving I saw an awesome buck and for some reason did not shoot. 10 minutes or so later I killed a 10 pointer who was nothing special but I have never killed a 10-pointer before so I was happy about that. On my own property that I have had for 2 years now I have not killed a buck and I've actually seen very few bucks it's a small property. Yesterday, Wednesday I sat in an elevated blind watching my pitiful little food plot that I have struggled with. With about 15 minutes of daylight left they started trickling out nibbling on the winter wheat, at least I think that's what it is I planted a mix and very little of it grew. This is in a different unit than where I killed two does a few weeks ago so I could still kill a doe in this unit. I did not want to I really wanted to harvest a buck on my own property. Eventually I saw antlers on two of them one was a pretty decent eight point and when he didn't have his little buddy right behind him I took the shot and just as it was almost too dark to see He piled up just shy of going in a terrible Briar Patch, thank the Lord for that. So I will have a full freezer killed my first 10 pointer and killed a young buck with a very pretty eight-point rack on my own property that I established my own food plot. I'm pretty satisfied with the season and I think I will end it. I do have a friend who has missed all the hunting season due to knee surgery and he thinks he'll be up and around to try it the week after Christmas so I will maybe take him there and hopefully get him something. Also notable this is the first season I have used lead-free bullets. I'm still processing that I may make a future Thread about the results I had.
Sounds like a great year. Congrats.

rifle02

Congrats on the great season! Nothing like the feeling you have taking a deer on your own property!
Absolutely. Last year, the 2022 season, I killed a doe on the opening day of firearms season. Just wanted to break the place in and bloody up the woods if you know what I mean. Never saw a buck in the woods after that first day. Have them on camera all summer and fall the last few weeks of this season. The only Buck I know for a fact on the place who actually walked in front of a camera was a spike. I believe he walked in front of every single camera every other day. He was on patrol apparently. So I was kind of shocked when these two bucks showed up and I was able to take one of them. You are right, it makes all the frustration worthwhile when that happens.

Latest posts