Acorns as far as the eye can see!

DeerCamp

I don't even remember a late January with this many (edible) acorns still on the ground.

We have had a down year in terms of food plot use. It's maybe 20% of typical use.

These pictures were taken this weekend. I actually cracked a few of them open and nibble on them. They seemed very edible.

1706631768643.png
1706631802125.png

BSK

My place still looks like that too, but we had crazy use of the food plots. No ide why, other than possibly because we fertilized the plots so heavily this year. Brought in the big spreader trucks.

BSK

I've said it many times already this season, but by far the biggest acorn crop I've ever seem especially on red oaks.
That's really interesting deerhunter10. Our massive crop this year was almost exclusively white oaks (Whites and Mountain Chestnut). We had few red oak acorns. And our acorn crop two years ago was just as big. Strange to get to massive bumper crops in a 3-year period.

deerhunter10

That's really interesting deerhunter10. Our massive crop this year was almost exclusively white oaks (Whites and Mountain Chestnut). We had few red oak acorns. And our acorn crop two years ago was just as big. Strange to get to massive bumper crops in a 3-year period.
Our white oaks were above average but have seen bigger. Every single redoak tree it seems had a giant crop. We have a lot of rocks around here and you could literally skate across them on the acorns. Last year we didn't have hardly any. The year before red oaks normal white oaks above normal. My FIL has lived on the farm I own now for 50 plus years and he even said it's as big of a crop as he ever remembers.

DeerCamp

My place still looks like that too, but we had crazy use of the food plots. No ide why, other than possibly because we fertilized the plots so heavily this year. Brought in the big spreader trucks.
To be fair, the food plot is pretty average this year. My buddy was going through a divorce and had lost his lease, so he gave me 5 bags of various stuff.

I think they had been out in his shop for at least 2 years before I got them. Germination was spotty.

Gonna have to do a little better this year.

TboneD

Here in Wilson county we also had a ton. Absolutely the heaviest acorn drop of all kinds that I can remember. Checked several red oak acorns Sunday afternoon and they were still good.

Edit: I should add it made bow season really tough.

Wooden Arrow

that picture could be of my yard. a couple of years back, my big oak out front dropped so many that i scooped them up with a shovel and hauled them down to Hawkins Co. where i used to hunt. had over 27 gallons in 3 and 5 gallon buckets. deer and turkeys had them gone in less than a week...

killingtime 41

I don't even remember a late January with this many (edible) acorns still on the ground.

We have had a down year in terms of food plot use. It's maybe 20% of typical use.

These pictures were taken this weekend. I actually cracked a few of them open and nibble on them. They seemed very edible.

View attachment 213557View attachment 213558
Ain't some of those in the pic white oak caps it looks it to me.

Wooden Arrow

tossed them weeks before i hunted, they were long gone. turkeys REALLY hit it. oddly, the cows seem to have helped ? the cows on this farm also ate persimmons and pawpaws. dang things...

Latest posts