Water as Bait?

Football Hunter

It hasnt rained at all in My county in South Carolina in about 2 months. So i was considering making maybe a 10 gallon pond of some sort near my stand. Dont worry , everything is legal in SC. Best i can tell by looking on Google Earth and on foot,there is no water within a couple miles of my area. But i am wondering if its worth the effort?

Ski

A 24/7 water hole is quite effective if placed in a spot convenient and safe for the deer to access. 10gal is not near big enough. You'll need 100gal minimum just to keep it from evaporating quickly.

I've got one that gets used so heavily that I've filled it twice since August. When it gets low they literally step their front hooves down into it to get their head in for a drink. It's 150gal.

I like putting them along travel route between food and bedding. I also put a mineral lick and mock scrape up at them. During summer when they're on mineral heavy, they really use the water. Then in fall bucks cruise by it and hit the scrape and/or get a drink. Water holes are right up there with food plots if placed correctly.

Ski

This scrape is next to a water hole. To the left of screen about 200yds is bedding. To the right about 100yds is a plot, and another 100yds beyond the plot is more bedding. One trail connects them. Water hole, scrape, and mineral site are clustered together in line on the trail. Notice time of day, and that was yesterday. I haven't pulled card on water but I'd bet fair odds he was getting a drink.

20231102_142734.jpg

Dodge Man

If you have easy access to fill it i would get a kids swimming pool or a fish pond tub and bury it half way and fill it full of water. I would agree you need more then 10ga unless you refill it a few times a week.

knightrider

This scrape is next to a water hole. To the left of screen about 200yds is bedding. To the right about 100yds is a plot, and another 100yds beyond the plot is more bedding. One trail connects them. Water hole, scrape, and mineral site are clustered together in line on the trail. Notice time of day, and that was yesterday. I haven't pulled card on water but I'd bet fair odds he was getting a drink.

View attachment 201313
When you zoom in looks like he has a giant hole in his back