Ever had a Deer follow you?

DKO77

A couple of years ago during early bow season I had four bucks and one doe come up by me. The biggest was only a six pointer so I decided to shoot the doe. After I shot and the doe run off one of the bucks(spike) ran in the direction of the doe. When I got to the doe, the spike was standing up the hill about 30 yds just watching. I called my brother and was just talking normal and the deer just stood there, I then went and looked for my arrow and the deer followed me back up the hill. It walked within 7 yards of me. When I found my arrow and walked back down the hill to the doe, it followed me down and stood there and watched me drag the doe off. I just thought this was odd, It might of just been a mommas boy or something, kinda made me feel bad. - Anybody have any similar experiences

catman529

Yeah was gutting a doe I arrowed that had 2 fawns. Heard a "meh" and there was a fawn standing 10 yd away thru the bushes. Ran off before I could shoot though. That's normal though, I hear a lot about fawns staying nearby.

muddyboots

Once, the only time i can say doe in heat spray worked for me. I had coated my boots with tinks 69 and started my walk to my area when i started encountering bucks! Making scrapes or cruising. It was one of those days when you knew it was happening. I had been seated about 15 minutes when i looked toward where i had walked in and here came a 3 point nose to the ground in my tracks and he came to within 5 feet of where i was sitting at the base of a tree. I could see the desire in his eyes. Ha Ha He stood there and looked at me forever and then slowly wandered off. Ha Ha Why couldnt that have been his grand dad that i was hunting do that.

JCDEERMAN

I have had 3 encounters that have scared the day lights out of me.

1) had pictures of this huge deer, but just ok pics. Woods were tore up. Walked in about an hour before light and this deer was bedded with a doe and let me walk past him by 5 yards. As soon as I stepped off a trail, I heard the doe run off one direction, then one deer just took about 3 bounds and stood there. It was about 4 yards from me. I normally don't use a flashlight, so I got my little green streamlight out and shined it and it was that monster standing there looking away from me. He turned and all I could tell was he put his ears back with a huge rack and started towards me. I needed new britches. He walked a few steps towards me and I kinda yelled and he turned and started walking away stiff legged. I walked backwards the last 70 yards to my stand with a shell in the chamber and never saw anything that morning. More scared than I have ever been.

2) 2010...was walking to my stand. Heard a buck across the hollow about 100 yards grunting and tearing up trees. Every step I took, he would get closer. I finally got about 10 yards from my tree and ran. He was about 40 yards away. I got up and settled and heard him walk to the base of my tree. Ali could see was a rack, but not big enough to shoot. That's all I could tell. Scared then too.

3) 2012.....I missed a big 4 1/2 plus deer the evening before within 50 yards of here. Got down to the tree I wanted to be in. About 20 yards before I got there, this buck was walking towards me as he could hear me. Leaves were really crunchy! Got to the tree and I could see this buck' outline. It was real dark, but a full moon. He started walking up towards me but he smelled me and ran up 30 yards on the other side of the hollow and stood there and I kept trying to scope him :D . He eventually ran off from smelling me before light

I don't get scared at anything but snakes, but these 3 encounters scared me to death. I guess I walk like a deer LOL.....no clue. And I don't use scent, so they weren't trying to "you know" :D

HOOK

My son was walking home one evening and had what I estimated to be a 6 month old follow him home and even into the garage. He called me and told me about it...I didn't believe him but 10 minutes later got home and everybody was standing in the driveway petting it.

stik

I shot a doe that was with a spike. the spike spent the next 20 minutes trying to get the doe up. he even watched me climb down the tree before retreating over the top of the hill. as I was gutting the doe, he came back and watched. I left to get help for the drag with the spike still looking on. when we got back, he was still there.

BSK

When a doe with fawns comes into heat, she will temporarily chase her fawns away while she is bred. During the peak of the rut, hunters often report see fawns wandering around looking "lost." In fact, this is one indicator hunters can use to identify the peak of the rut in their area. On several occasions when stalk hunting or just walking in the woods during peak breeding, I've had one or more of these temporarily "abandoned" fawns come running right up to me. I guess they were hoping I was their momma.

7mm08

JCDEERMAN said:
I have had 3 encounters that have scared the day lights out of me.

1) had pictures of this huge deer, but just ok pics. Woods were tore up. Walked in about an hour before light and this deer was bedded with a doe and let me walk past him by 5 yards. As soon as I stepped off a trail, I heard the doe run off one direction, then one deer just took about 3 bounds and stood there. It was about 4 yards from me. I normally don't use a flashlight, so I got my little green streamlight out and shined it and it was that monster standing there looking away from me. He turned and all I could tell was he put his ears back with a huge rack and started towards me. I needed new britches. He walked a few steps towards me and I kinda yelled and he turned and started walking away stiff legged. I walked backwards the last 70 yards to my stand with a shell in the chamber and never saw anything that morning. More scared than I have ever been.

2) 2010...was walking to my stand. Heard a buck across the hollow about 100 yards grunting and tearing up trees. Every step I took, he would get closer. I finally got about 10 yards from my tree and ran. He was about 40 yards away. I got up and settled and heard him walk to the base of my tree. Ali could see was a rack, but not big enough to shoot. That's all I could tell. Scared then too.

3) 2012.....I missed a big 4 1/2 plus deer the evening before within 50 yards of here. Got down to the tree I wanted to be in. About 20 yards before I got there, this buck was walking towards me as he could hear me. Leaves were really crunchy! Got to the tree and I could see this buck' outline. It was real dark, but a full moon. He started walking up towards me but he smelled me and ran up 30 yards on the other side of the hollow and stood there and I kept trying to scope him :D . He eventually ran off from smelling me before light

I don't get scared at anything but snakes, but these 3 encounters scared me to death. I guess I walk like a deer LOL.....no clue. And I don't use scent, so they weren't trying to "you know" :D

The Tink's 69 bottle says "do not apply" HA!

Cool stories.

JCDEERMAN

:D I don't use scent either. Must be the way I walk. I actually do try to sound like a deer when sneaking to a stand and the leaves are as loud as walking on bubble wrap.

One thing to note, these happened over the course of about 6 years. Looking back at my notes, they were all very warmer than average days....like 60-75 degrees during nov-dec. not one deer was seen on these 3 morning hunts. I think they were utilizing as much of the darkness as they possibly could before it started getting warmer. Typical of warm days during the rut. Everything was happening at night and they were being overly-aggressive about it.

mike243

pop had a piebald buck fawn come in with his coon dogs 1 time,he went ahead & loaded it up,2 months latter somebody seen it in the dog pen & called the game warden, judge threw it out, he paid court cost but no fine, pen stayed open every time I went over.He about cried when they took it & let it go at Norris dam.made it 2 years before I never seen it again.

BuckNrut

Seen 2 fawns with orange collars walking around with a large dog in Houston County on several occasions in 2009. Had them all three on trail cam a lot too. Always together and never with momma.

MUP

I had a yearling spike follow my trail one day. Followed right to within about 4 yds of me, where I had taken a 90 deg turn and had sat down at the base of a tree. He started to make that turn, made eye contact with me, head flew up and ears as well, then he slowly backtracked himself and turned around a few steps back and walked off, kinda briskly. :grin:

TN Larry

Talking about pet deer, I remember when I first moved to my current location that my neighbor had a pet deer (got busted for it later) that I didn't know about at the time. We are in sort of a low density area so seeing a deer on my own land for the first time was something. It didn't turn out to be what I expected. I was in the bathroom putting down flooring when my wife yelled that there was a deer in the yard. I came running through the house excited and opened the door to see it. What I didn't know is that it was standing on the back patio looking at the dog and tried to come in the house when I opened the door. :)

JCDEERMAN

That's a good one TN Larry. I had almost the same experience at my house, but the deer wasn't a pet. The first morning after I moved in, I made a cup of coffee, took a sip of it while opening the blinds to look in the back yard. To my surprise, there was a doe standing there a few feet from me on the patio. I'll just say coffee went everywhere

I have since learned turkeys and deer come to my little goldfish pond right outside the window to get a drink.

huntncoach

Several years ago I had an interesting experience with a deer following me. I had only been hunting about three years and had not taken a deer yet. I had seen many does and a couple of bucks with only one shot opportunity at which my muzzleloader misfired. Anyway, it was in mid-November and I was hunting the place that I hunted 90% of the time then. I sprayed some estrous scent on an old sock as a drag and proceded to make my trek to my stand on top of a ridge. I sat in the stand for over three hours without a single deer sighting. Eventually I got bored and decided to move my stand and climbed down, placing my Knight against a barbed wire fence behind my tree. I was making all kinds of racket moving the stand when I heard leaves rustling and crunching from the direction I climbed the ridge. Obviously, my first thought was squirrels (always saw bunches of them). I began to work feverishly again, but the sounds got closer. I finally peeked around the tree at the trail and saw a nice buck - 8-pointer - with his nose to the ground and following my trail. Yep, I looked at him as he looked at me and then bounded off when I tried to crawl to get my gun.

Latest posts