Essential tracking supplies

Black Titan

One thing I carry (didn't need in the old days) is a power bank. These days we rely so much on mapping apps and the phone in general for safety. The power bank has a flashlight built in and can charge my phone over 3 times from dead. I have a USB headlamp that I carry that can recharge while I'm in daylight. Charges my go pro/camera batteries. Only really "need" it when I'm a mile in on public but nice to have on all day sits.

That's a good idea. I've got one of those pocket sized ones laying around here somewhere. Will pack it just in case.

BT

Black Titan

I just ordered some from a lightning deal on Amazon the other day. Not sure if they will charge another device though. I'll have to check that out.

BT

Kmushrooman

In the woods, I carry a knife, flashlight and bow. Sometimes I have water and a granola bar. In the truck I have the stuff I may need. This includes a sawzall.

backyardtndeer

With hunting at the farm we live on, i don't really keep a kit. I do keep good lights that are charged or have fresh batteries and marking tape handy. I kind of prefer marking tape over to, because I can tie it to low hanging limbs where it is easier to see.

The peroxide trick would definitely work, and ski is spot on about some leaves looking like they have blood on them when they really don't.

dhpro

Reading the other thread about the person asking for a dog at 6:30am, got me to thinking.

I've got my pack all supplied with things I think I may need in the woods. TP, wipes, dressing gloves, headlamp, flashlights, first aid kit, rope, backup release for my bow, snacks, water, etc. Just random things I thought may come in handy. In truth I've probably over-packed. Theres a small saw in there, e-tool, fire starter, compass, couple of knives, black rack, tarp, mylar blankets, various reams of paracord, plus on my chest pack is a range finder, binoculars, gps unit, grunt tube, licenses, etc.

But I never put much thought into supplies I might need for tracking. Someone in the other thread mentioned hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. What is that used for?

Anyways, what are some items that you would consider essential in tracking a blood trail to a downed deer, and how would you use them?

I got all geared up last year and never got to go, due to various reasons, but this year I'm prepared and already got drawn for 3 separate hunts and have PTO in the bank at work, so hopefully nothing will throw a wrench in the works. This will be my first official bow hunting year, and I'm stoked.

BT
All those things probably work??best advice I can tell you when it come to finding a deer would be patience. Let it die , go slowly , know positive last place you saw it and listening for it direction of travel and if you hear it crash. These might not seem as important to some . This advice comes from 50 years of hunting and litterly couples hundred deer.

BSK

All those things probably work??best advice I can tell you when it come to finding a deer would be patience. Let it die , go slowly , know positive last place you saw it and listening for it direction of travel and if you hear it crash. These might not seem as important to some . This advice comes from 50 years of hunting and litterly couples hundred deer.
As I've been teaching my daughter to deer hunt, one of the things I've emphasized about the moment of truth - the shot - is to memorize where the deer was standing when the shot was taken as well as the last spot the deer was seen as it ran away. Honestly, those two things are the most valuable pieces of information when trying to track a wounded deer.

Chickenrig

The only piece of equipment I specifically carry in my pack for tracking is a headlamp that produces a more yellowy incandescent light. I've found the bluish light produced by LED flashlights/headlamps doesn't show red blood as well as the old-fashioned lightbulb lights.
That seems to be the case BSK , reckon thats why the old timers carried a coleman lantern .
Newer is not always better .

mike243

Best thing I done is stop twanging and only bang these days, it's heart breaking for me to lose 1 so the last time it happened I hung up the stick thrower, also my sighting went up during muzzle loader and gun season. I limit my travels into where I plan to hunt as I know the travel patterns from years of hunting, you will often read about beginners' luck, a lot of times nobody has went into that area and bumped deer out of it, hunt the doe and don't shoot them if you want a chance at a buck, don't shoot the first buck following a hot doe until you can make sure there are no other bigger bucks following, many a time I have seen the smaller bucks tite to the doe and bigger older bucks will lay back and wait till the time is right. Sometimes you can make every mistake in the book and still score, hunting can be a frustrating adventure, good luck and stay safe.

BSK

Best thing I done is stop twanging and only bang these days, it's heart breaking for me to lose 1 so the last time it happened I hung up the stick thrower, also my sighting went up during muzzle loader and gun season.
I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but the best thing I ever did for my hunting success was to stop bow-hunting. Not only did it reduce the hunting pressure on the deer prior to the rut, it also kept me fresh and excited to be in the woods at just the right time - opener of MZ. Our sightings and kills with an MZ and gun went up dramatically once we stopped bow-hunting the property.

Of course, my actions are driven by the fact I only hunt one property all season. If I had multiple properties to hunt, I might view things differently.

Joe2Kool

I've never used peroxide, but I read somewhere to squirt some yellow food coloring in the spray bottle and when the blood fizzes, it will turn yellow and be easier to see. Never tried it, but I have a bottle of peroxide, spray bottle, and yellow food coloring taped to it kept in the truck.

Black Titan

Here's the contents of my current pack and chest pack. Included in the first aid kit is some bleed stop clotting powder. The spare batteries are for the GPS, Flashlights, and headlamp.

See anything I need to add/remove? This is for public land hiking in.

BT

Attachments

• 20230904_152617.jpg
    20230904_152617.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 29

Bagg-it Tag-it

Essential to me is a compass. On top of watching the deer reaction to being shot and where it runs. Once it is out of site...I listen intently to figure out if I hear it fall and thrash on the ground. When it does that, I take a compass heading for that direction. Once I go to track the deer....I do what most people do...go to where I shoot the deer and look for blood and track from there. However, if I completely lose the track I can always go back to my tree I shot the deer from.....check my compass heading and march through the woods on that heading without deviating. Just one more thing to be able to do if things go south.

Latest posts