Essential tracking supplies

Black Titan

Reading the other thread about the person asking for a dog at 6:30am, got me to thinking.

I've got my pack all supplied with things I think I may need in the woods. TP, wipes, dressing gloves, headlamp, flashlights, first aid kit, rope, backup release for my bow, snacks, water, etc. Just random things I thought may come in handy. In truth I've probably over-packed. Theres a small saw in there, e-tool, fire starter, compass, couple of knives, black rack, tarp, mylar blankets, various reams of paracord, plus on my chest pack is a range finder, binoculars, gps unit, grunt tube, licenses, etc.

But I never put much thought into supplies I might need for tracking. Someone in the other thread mentioned hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. What is that used for?

Anyways, what are some items that you would consider essential in tracking a blood trail to a downed deer, and how would you use them?

I got all geared up last year and never got to go, due to various reasons, but this year I'm prepared and already got drawn for 3 separate hunts and have PTO in the bank at work, so hopefully nothing will throw a wrench in the works. This will be my first official bow hunting year, and I'm stoked.

BT

timberjack86

My mountain deer pack consist of, orange flagging, Tp, water bottle, sharp buck knife, hatchet for easily breaking down leq quarters, couple pillow cases for game bags and a good flashlight. Plus a snack, space blanket and stuff to build a fire with incase I have to stay the night.

Buzzard Breath

A good flashlight and a mapping app so you can mark your blood spots is about all you need. When it comes to blood tracking, experience is the best teacher. If you find gut piles in the woods, track them backwards to get an idea on how they go. Be patient and take your time. Don't rush through a track.

C1295

I use to Carry a little flash light called a blood tracker from Nebo. that thing would illuminate blood. Well, at some point I have lost the thing and cant find a replacement for it worth a flip. I guess they don't make it anymore. If you look up nebo blood tracker they make a new one but its junk compared too the old one.

Ski

When tracking a faint or spotty blood trail you'll inevitably see red or brown spots on leaves that look like blood droplets but aren't. Leaves just turned that color because it's autumn. That's where peroxide comes in. Spray the spot and if it fizzes up it's blood. If not it's just a leaf.

I keep a pack of flushable wipes because I hate losing socks, a knife, pelvis saw, and I keep a small flashlight or headlamp. Like mentioned above use regular old natural yellow light, not blue LED. The wipes will be handy for "oh $h!t" moments, tearing small pieces to flag a trail, and for cleaning yourself and tools up after field dressing.

If you're bow hunting then you're already carrying an awkward bow. If mobile then you've also got a stand or saddle & sticks. Keep your pack as small & light as possible. Unlike a gun that kills with shock trauma, a deer hit with an arrow bleeds to death. Blood pours or even sprays out. The only three scenarios where you won't see a lot of blood is high lung, gut, and non-vital hits. High lung is usually quickly fatal so the deer will probably fall over dead in sight before blood has a chance to pour out after filling the chest cavity. A non-vital hit will lead you on a long bright blood trail. If you go 300yds and no deer in sight then the wound will clot before the deer runs out of blood, but that'll be miles and no dead deer because it's not going to die. Third is gut. Unless you hit liver as well, a gut wound won't bleed much if at all. But it's 100% fatal. It can run for miles if pushed but if left alone they usually lay down first place they feel safe and that's where they'll stay for 12-24hrs until they die, given that you or a coyote or another deer doesn't force them to move again. Aside from those three scenarios, the vast majority of your kills will be easy to follow and short blood trails. Tracking usually isn't difficult. Most deer die within 100yds and 10 seconds.

Buzzard Breath

The only piece of equipment I specifically carry in my pack for tracking is a headlamp that produces a more yellowy incandescent light. I've found the bluish light produced by LED flashlights/headlamps doesn't show red blood as well as the old-fashioned lightbulb lights.
Along these same lines, I've heard that the old style mantle lanterns give off great light for tracking deer.

Black Titan

When tracking a faint or spotty blood trail you'll inevitably see red or brown spots on leaves that look like blood droplets but aren't. Leaves just turned that color because it's autumn. That's where peroxide comes in. Spray the spot and if it fizzes up it's blood. If not it's just a leaf.

I keep a pack of flushable wipes because I hate losing socks, a knife, pelvis saw, and I keep a small flashlight or headlamp. Like mentioned above use regular old natural yellow light, not blue LED. The wipes will be handy for "oh $h!t" moments, tearing small pieces to flag a trail, and for cleaning yourself and tools up after field dressing.

If you're bow hunting then you're already carrying an awkward bow. If mobile then you've also got a stand or saddle & sticks. Keep your pack as small & light as possible. Unlike a gun that kills with shock trauma, a deer hit with an arrow bleeds to death. Blood pours or even sprays out. The only three scenarios where you won't see a lot of blood is high lung, gut, and non-vital hits. High lung is usually quickly fatal so the deer will probably fall over dead in sight before blood has a chance to pour out after filling the chest cavity. A non-vital hit will lead you on a long bright blood trail. If you go 300yds and no deer in sight then the wound will clot before the deer runs out of blood, but that'll be miles and no dead deer because it's not going to die. Third is gut. Unless you hit liver as well, a gut wound won't bleed much if at all. But it's 100% fatal. It can run for miles if pushed but if left alone they usually lay down first place they feel safe and that's where they'll stay for 12-24hrs until they die, given that you or a coyote or another deer doesn't force them to move again. Aside from those three scenarios, the vast majority of your kills will be easy to follow and short blood trails. Tracking usually isn't difficult. Most deer die within 100yds and 10 seconds.

Let's hope that's the case for me. I've gotten pretty proficient with my bow on up to around 45 yards, but that's shooting paper or foam with no buck fever acting up. Hoping I can place a good ethical shot so the deer expires quickly.

I could always look for some of those arrow tips Rambo used on that helicopter to increase my odds of a short track haha.

BT

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
I use to Carry a little flash light called a blood tracker from Nebo. that thing would illuminate blood. Well, at some point I have lost the thing and cant find a replacement for it worth a flip. I guess they don't make it anymore. If you look up nebo blood tracker they make a new one but its junk compared too the old one.
I have one of these, and if it has been raining or a very heavy dew, it is worthless. Wet grass illuminates much the same as blood when it's already getting dark. Had better luck using a bright light and white TP to mark the trail. so I can back track a little, or fan out looking for the next splotch.

Black Titan

The only piece of equipment I specifically carry in my pack for tracking is a headlamp that produces a more yellowy incandescent light. I've found the bluish light produced by LED flashlights/headlamps doesn't show red blood as well as the old-fashioned lightbulb lights.

Seems most of what's available now a days is all LED. I wonder if the LEDs with the different colored filters would work? I think I have an old maglight and maybe an old surefire somewhere that isn't LED, but most all I got now is LED.

However!

I found THIS on Amazon. I could use it and hope the deer laughs itself to death right there on the spot, and not even need to loose an arrow.

Seriously, read some of the reviews lol!

Amazon product ASIN B07CVSL45Q
BT

Ski

Let's hope that's the case for me. I've gotten pretty proficient with my bow on up to around 45 yards, but that's shooting paper or foam with no buck fever acting up. Hoping I can place a good ethical shot so the deer expires quickly.

I could always look for some of those arrow tips Rambo used on that helicopter to increase my odds of a short track haha.

BT

You'll do fine. We've been doing it for a couple hundred thousand years so there's no reason you'll be the exception. It's built in to you. And bad hits happen to everybody so don't beat yourself up when it happens. Self assess and figure out what went wrong so you know to avoid that mistake again going forward. My guess is you'll do great and enjoy the heck out of it.

BSK

Seems most of what's available now a days is all LED. I wonder if the LEDs with the different colored filters would work? I think I have an old maglight and maybe an old surefire somewhere that isn't LED, but most all I got now is LED.
My old-style light is just that, old! I keep it safe because it does such a better job than the newer LED lights. The thing weighs a ton though because of all the batteries needed to power it.

deerhunter10

Good flashlight, I to have a new one but Also an older one the yellow can for sure help you imo. Tp or marking tape is in the truck if needed. Flash light and 2 experienced trackers will find a ton of deer. When it gets that tough that you have to call a dog it's a bad shot and need to back out anyways. If you hunt enough and shoot enough deer bad shots are going to happen just take the correct steps before hand. Rushing pushes more deer then anything.

themanpcl

Reading the other thread about the person asking for a dog at 6:30am, got me to thinking.

I've got my pack all supplied with things I think I may need in the woods. TP, wipes, dressing gloves, headlamp, flashlights, first aid kit, rope, backup release for my bow, snacks, water, etc. Just random things I thought may come in handy. In truth I've probably over-packed. Theres a small saw in there, e-tool, fire starter, compass, couple of knives, black rack, tarp, mylar blankets, various reams of paracord, plus on my chest pack is a range finder, binoculars, gps unit, grunt tube, licenses, etc.

But I never put much thought into supplies I might need for tracking. Someone in the other thread mentioned hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. What is that used for?

Anyways, what are some items that you would consider essential in tracking a blood trail to a downed deer, and how would you use them?

I got all geared up last year and never got to go, due to various reasons, but this year I'm prepared and already got drawn for 3 separate hunts and have PTO in the bank at work, so hopefully nothing will throw a wrench in the works. This will be my first official bow hunting year, and I'm stoked.

BT
One thing I carry (didn't need in the old days) is a power bank. These days we rely so much on mapping apps and the phone in general for safety. The power bank has a flashlight built in and can charge my phone over 3 times from dead. I have a USB headlamp that I carry that can recharge while I'm in daylight. Charges my go pro/camera batteries. Only really "need" it when I'm a mile in on public but nice to have on all day sits.

Latest posts