Engraved Bolt

Jon54

In my previous career, I was CFO of a real estate development company in Memphis. In putting together a huge redevelopment, I found a partner's projections perilously wrong, which saved the investors several million. One day after my revelation, these partners came into my office with a nice gift, a Brownng A Bolt Stalker, stainless, with a Boss system, in 7mm Mag With a Leupold 3.5-10 50mm scope.

Adding to the surprise, they had Browning engrave my name on the bolt. I've used this rifle sparingly as it won't displace my 270. Neither of my sons want it so it's time to find a new home for this very nice, accurate rifle. The problem is a new owner will not want a rifle with my name prominently displayed.

Any suggestions that won't cost me a new bolt? While skilled in accounting and finance, I'm ignorant about rifle construction. The nearest competent gunsmith is 1.5 hours away. I know several here have had bolts jeweled and or fluted. Open to suggestions and anyone that might want a rifle that has had less than 5 boxes of shells through it. I did kill my largest (145" 8 point) and a very nice Texas 10 point with it. I have several boxes of ammo also.

Jon54

Speechless, I would never sell it my self, kind of disrespecting the folks who gave it to you. sell as it as you probably wont recoup the cost of getting a new bolt fitted for it.
My days of hunting are likely over. I fell from a tree stand in 2017 and spent close to a year recovering. This memory and the lingering effects has completely diluted my desire to hunt. This rifle hasn't been shot in 10 years. Sons don't want it. If you've ever had to get rid of a family members "stuff" upon their passing, you'll understand why I'm methodically going thru my possesions and selling those of no further use. I'm in relatively good health but I'm in the 4th qtr of life. Over the past 5 years, I've sold 5 different firearms and have several more to go.

Last edited:

fairchaser

I would take the bolt to someone who does engraving and see what they suggest. They may make something else from it like a bad tattoo or polish it off. That's a great rifle. I love the boss system too. Btw, my sons are getting my left handed rifles whether they care or not! I'm hoping one of my grandsons shoot lefty.

DaveTN

If you've ever had to get rid of a family members "stuff" upon their passing, you'll understand why I'm methodically going thru my possesions and selling those of no further use.
Your kids will thank you. Unfortunately I've learned a lot from my parents moving to assisted living. But fortunately they are still kicking.

I'd just put it up for sale and not worry about the engraving on the bolt. Let the potential buyer decide what they want to do.

rodeojoe

Two granddaughters and two grandsons, the latter live in Buffalo NY and are only exposed to ice hockey
I killed my first deer @ 24
I am sure one of them would agree to pass it down to future generations, if they were not going to use it personally. You would gain more than you would lose IMHO.
I would love to hunt with my Great Grand Dads rifle!
You are 4 years older than me.