End of Cheatham early archery

atcq1227

Welp, it's the end of Cheatham early archery and I've come home empty handed. Not too surprised or disappointed; this is my first season hunting archery, hunting from a tree, and hunting public.

Anybody bag one out here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoytDawg

We jumped a group of does squirrel hunting there this morning. I've archery deer hunted there for 4 years and thats the 3rd deer sighting ive had. (Not including sightings from the truck).

atcq1227

HoytDawg":2ovod4ja said:
We jumped a group of does squirrel hunting there this morning. I've archery deer hunted there for 4 years and thats the 3rd deer sighting ive had. (Not including sightings from the truck).

Nice. It's pretty good squirrel hunting around here. I actually had seen one each of the last 3 times I scouted before opening so I thought I was gonna get lucky. Surprised to hear
you've seen so few.

HoytDawg

atcq1227":2wwi5jlt said:
HoytDawg":2wwi5jlt said:

Nice. It's pretty good squirrel hunting around here. I actually had seen one each of the last 3 times I scouted before opening so I thought I was gonna get lucky. Surprised to hear
you've seen so few.

I misspoke a little, ive only had 2 other sightings while in the tree**. Have seen a good many from the truck and scouting preseason. Just not much when actually hunting. They're definitely out there, im just not great at patterning them. Or unlucky

atcq1227

HoytDawg":2v8wrx6j said:
atcq1227":2v8wrx6j said:
HoytDawg":2v8wrx6j said:

you've seen so few.

I misspoke a little, ive only had 2 other sightings while in the tree**. Have seen a good many from the truck and scouting preseason. Just not much when actually hunting. They're definitely out there, im just not great at patterning them. Or unlucky

Gotcha. Yeah, I have seen plenty of signage so they're definitely here. It was hard to find an area where it was really heavy or going in a clear direction though, so couldn't really figure out any really great set ups. Plus I'm just lacking in experience

atcq1227

catman529":2n3g7wi2 said:
Hill country can be feast or famine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I spose so. Tried to find some chinkapins on the hilltops like in your videos, but I mustve walked right past all of them.

catman529

atcq1227":1g88nhqz said:
catman529":1g88nhqz said:

I spose so. Tried to find some chinkapins on the hilltops like in your videos, but I mustve walked right past all of them.

if I'm not mistaken it's all chert up there and chinkapin oaks prefer limestone...might find some closer to the Harpeth but there should be plenty of white oaks out there anyway.

atcq1227

catman529":1ogdjqes said:
atcq1227":1ogdjqes said:
catman529":1ogdjqes said:

if I'm not mistaken it's all chert up there and chinkapin oaks prefer limestone...might find some closer to the Harpeth but there should be plenty of white oaks out there anyway.

Ah, no wonder. Thanks for the tip

philsanchez76

Yes Cheatham is a tough place for me as well. If you're brand new to hunting definitely take the trip to scout a few of the flatter WMA's as they can yield Some Higher deer density and easier terrain for us bipeds. And also cheatham is loaded with red and black oaks and plenty of sawtooth which I've never seen deer feed sign under. I've only found one group of whites and they were not dropping.

atcq1227

philsanchez76":2ohc4l8x said:
Yes Cheatham is a tough place for me as well. If you're brand new to hunting definitely take the trip to scout a few of the flatter WMA's as they can yield Some Higher deer density and easier terrain for us bipeds. And also cheatham is loaded with red and black oaks and plenty of sawtooth which I've never seen deer feed sign under. I've only found one group of whites and they were not dropping.
Any suggestions of a better WMA near Kingston Springs?

CheathamIceman

atcq1227":1k305awm said:
Welp, it's the end of Cheatham early archery and I've come home empty handed. Not too surprised or disappointed; this is my first season hunting archery, hunting from a tree, and hunting public.

I checked out the harvest report and if its accurate at the time only 9 had been taken from the WMA..
Ive been there and havent bagged anything as well. I did take a long shot at a doe and missed but thats it.
Ive seen a few does and 1 giant buck that will be mine during muzzle loader season. I know where he lives

atcq1227

CheathamIceman":1aqj4fie said:
atcq1227":1aqj4fie said:

I checked out the harvest report and if its accurate at the time only 9 had been taken from the WMA..
Ive been there and havent bagged anything as well. I did take a long shot at a doe and missed but thats it.
Ive seen a few does and 1 giant buck that will be mine during muzzle loader season. I know where he lives
Yeah, harvest numbers seemed pretty low. Especially compared to Priest. Best of luck to you during ML brother!!

Cheatham has been a hard spot for me the past two years but I have walked out w deer in the freezer both seasons with my bow. However, if I look at number of hours in the tree to number of deer seen it's pretty rough. Finding oaks and using the topography to your advantage is the key for me. And LOTS of miles put in during the off-season. Good luck out there!

Attachments

• 9762F5DB-8456-4138-8F71-6033A600E2D1.jpeg
    9762F5DB-8456-4138-8F71-6033A600E2D1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
  • D245A48B-FB0E-4659-B64F-7A80403E5E46.jpeg
    D245A48B-FB0E-4659-B64F-7A80403E5E46.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59

Latest posts