Ehd

BSK

Not sure how many have yal listen to podcasts. But mossy oak game keepers had a very interesting podcast about ehd a few days ago. Dr Strickland said that a lot of southern deer have some immunity to the disease and those genes can be passed down to their fawns. Worth a listen if you have an hour.
In the Deep South, EHD is so endemic (occurs every year) that many deer have developed an immunity to the disease, and yes, that immunity can be passed from mother doe to her fawns.

It is in the areas of the country where it only occurs every few years that significant die-offs occur. And the less frequent the outbreaks, the worse the die-offs. That's why areas that see it rarely, like Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, etc. can see such massive die-offs in an outbreak, sometimes as high as 80% of an entire localized population.

deerhunter10

It is in the areas of the country where it only occurs every few years that significant die-offs occur. And the less frequent the outbreaks, the worse the die-offs. That's why areas that see it rarely, like Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, etc. can see such massive die-offs in an outbreak, sometimes as high as 80% of an entire localized population.
yes this is what they were saying. Talking about Iowa and Illinois and those states, having a legitimate 70 or 80 percent die off. I learned a few things I didn't know.

BSK

yes this is what they were saying. Talking about Iowa and Illinois and those states, having a legitimate 70 or 80 percent die off. I learned a few things I didn't know.
Worst die-off I've ever seen in TN was the 2007 outbreak. I was assisting the TWRA with their thermal imaging surveys at the time, and we were doing Williamson County. At night, you could tell how close we were getting to a creek or pond by the gagging stench of dead deer. The next year, in eastern Williamson County, we couldn't buy a deer sighting using thermal imaging. I suspect that area experienced a 70-80% die-off. Over in western Middle TN, centered on Hickman County, I suspect most herds experienced a 30-50% die-off.

I haven't seen anything like it since, although I heard from clients in the Hickman and Perry County area that they felt they had an equal die-off in 2019.

deerhunter10

Worst die-off I've ever seen in TN was the 2007 outbreak. I was assisting the TWRA with their thermal imaging surveys at the time, and we were doing Williamson County. At night, you could tell how close we were getting to a creek or pond by the gagging stench of dead deer. The next year, in eastern Williamson County, we couldn't buy a deer sighting using thermal imaging. I suspect that area experienced a 70-80% die-off. Over in western Middle TN, centered on Hickman County, I suspect most herds experienced a 30-50% die-off.

I haven't seen anything like it since, although I heard from clients in the Hickman and Perry County area that they felt they had an equal die-off in 2019.
We had a severe die off in 2007 at our place in Hickman County. 2019 had to be very hit and miss heard reports saw nothing around us. An interesting theory thrown out there for this year was the severe freeze we had in December and seeing how it may affect the midges. Will be interesting with how random the drought is becoming around the states as well.

Snake

We had a severe die off in 2007 at our place in Hickman County. 2019 had to be very hit and miss heard reports saw nothing around us. An interesting theory thrown out there for this year was the severe freeze we had in December and seeing how it may affect the midges. Will be interesting with how random the drought is becoming around the states as well.
Lewis Co. had one as well one reason as well as others for not renewing our lease we had there .

BSK

We had a huge die off in 2007 another in 11 and 17, we still haven't gotten back to pre 2007 numbers and doubt we ever will
In some parts of the state, that's a good thing, especially parts of western TN. In 2006, I was really starting to ring the over-population bell pretty hard. Then we had the die-off in 2007. No more over-population problem.

SJS

In some parts of the state, that's a good thing, especially parts of western TN. In 2006, I was really starting to ring the over-population bell pretty hard. Then we had the die-off in 2007. No more over-population problem.
In my part of Houston Co. the die off in 2007 was severe. But we had our best deer hunting in regard to antler size and deer age in 2009 and 2010. After EHD the number of deer stabilized and has never gotten as large as it was before EHD.

peytoncreekhunter

So would you say that the big die off's is just nature correcting itself of the overpopulation.

JCDEERMAN

Never heard of ehd until 2007 when everyone started talking about it. That was the first year we planted corn and needless to say, it didn't do well because of the drought. I also had just graduated college and had tons of time to hunt that fall due to not landing a job yet. That fall I learned the significance of ehd. I don't know how many times I went hunting and didn't see a deer…like 10-12 sits with seeing a deer 😳. I do remember seeing a nice 8pt in August while on the 4-wheeler at about 30 yards…he just kind of looked at me and dropped his head down and kept walking. Knew that was abnormal.

2019 was almost equally as bad. Only reason for the "almost", is that we still had a population. This one was different in that it wiped out 60-80% of the buck population, while we still saw plenty of does and fawns. Completely sucked, as we had some great bucks the year prior and had very high expectations. But we were still seeing deer most every hunt and we are seeing even higher deer numbers since.

The anomaly was last year 2022 - no ehd that I'm aware of, but the bucks simply didn't show up in their fall transitions. It was drier than any year I can ever remember. While they probably took a significant blow to their health, I am optimistically hoping a couple show up this year being 2 years since we've seen them (likely being 4.5's and 5.5's). I remember seeing big deer in 2021 just about every time I went in the woods. It was a magical season. Then 2022 happened and I'm still puzzled

mike243

2007 was the first I ever seen, it was bad in ETn, I normally drive 150-250 miles a day, anytime I went off the main roads into deer looking places it was bad, in chuck swan on the dove opener weekend you couldn't drive 100y without wanting to puke and most of the time was probably 50y. I haven't seen the numbers rebound to those levels since.

BSK

Never heard of ehd until 2007 when everyone started talking about it. That was the first year we planted corn and needless to say, it didn't do well because of the drought. I also had just graduated college and had tons of time to hunt that fall due to not landing a job yet. That fall I learned the significance of ehd. I don't know how many times I went hunting and didn't see a deer…like 10-12 sits with seeing a deer 😳. I do remember seeing a nice 8pt in August while on the 4-wheeler at about 30 yards…he just kind of looked at me and dropped his head down and kept walking. Knew that was abnormal.
On my place in 2007, the deer were in such bad shape some of the bucks couldn't finish mineralizing their antlers (turning them to bone). The ends of each tine and beam were black (even after the velvet fell off), and you could dig your fingernails into the black sections of antler. Most of those black tips crumbled and fell off when we cleaned the skulls.

BSK

The anomaly was last year 2022 - no ehd that I'm aware of, but the bucks simply didn't show up in their fall transitions. It was drier than any year I can ever remember. While they probably took a significant blow to their health, I am optimistically hoping a couple show up this year being 2 years since we've seen them (likely being 4.5's and 5.5's). I remember seeing big deer in 2021 just about every time I went in the woods. It was a magical season. Then 2022 happened and I'm still puzzled
Because of the heat and the unrelenting drought, I expected to see a big EHD outbreak in 2022. But it didn't happen. I suppose we were too close to the 2019 outbreak. Most of the deer still had immunity from 2019. But we experienced the same lack of seasonal shifting. The bucks just never showed up. However, I later discovered that there were pockets of acorn-producing oaks in wetlands. All of the deer were packed into those small areas. Anyone that had that situation on their land absolutely cleaned-up on big bucks.

JCDEERMAN

Because of the heat and the unrelenting drought, I expected to see a big EHD outbreak in 2022. But it didn't happen. I suppose we were too close to the 2019 outbreak. Most of the deer still had immunity from 2019. But we experienced the same lack of seasonal shifting. The bucks just never showed up. However, I later discovered that there were pockets of acorn-producing oaks in wetlands. All of the deer were packed into those small areas. Anyone that had that situation on their land absolutely cleaned-up on big bucks.
Makes perfect sense on the immunity from 2019.

We definitely didn't have any of those wetland pockets. We have no flowing water on all the land we have. We've had several years that I've only found a handful of acorns, but last year takes the cake - we couldn't find ONE acorn last year. Zero

348Winchester

On the northern Cumberland Plateau there was a significant outbreak in 2007. However, the herd recovered very well. There was another much more severe plague in 2017. It drastically impacted populations to the tune of 50-80%! The area around my home had an excellent deer density. It has yet to recover and maybe it will not. I see about 1/3 to one half of the deer that I did pre-2017. Hopefully, it will eventually claw its way back to what it once was.

BSK

Makes perfect sense on the immunity from 2019.

We definitely didn't have any of those wetland pockets. We have no flowing water on all the land we have. We've had several years that I've only found a handful of acorns, but last year takes the cake - we couldn't find ONE acorn last year. Zero
Last year was the worst drought and acorn crop I've experienced in 35 years on my place. Zero acorns. Unfortunately, close by are some big swamps that hold Swamp White Oaks and Swamp Chestnut Oaks. They were carrying and ALL of the deer were packed into those areas, off my property.

Latest posts