Ehd is what I’m thinking acts normal but very thin

Mattt

0FB92F7F-8BE3-4DFC-9F2F-A104E5C57A36.jpeg

Racknquack

Probably should've put that one out of its misery. Your right, very thin. No way that deer makes it through winter. What county?

Ski

Don't fret too much. He may have had EHD and survived. Or it could have been an injury, or one of a zillion other things that affect deer. The first two pics below are of a deer in 2020 that looked emaciated like that. For a 4yr old deer, he probably didn't weigh 100lbs. I named him Splinter because he looked old & broken & frail like the rat on Ninja Turtles, and he had a splintered brow tine. You could see his ribs, hips, even his vertebrae. I didn't think he would make it through the winter. But the third & fourth pic show what he turned into a year later. Same deer.

I know it looks like they're in misery when they're all skin & bones like that, and they probably are. But don't underestimate their ability to survive and come back STRONG. The good Lord designed them to be resilient.

Attachments

• Skinny Splinter 8dec20_Moment.jpg
    Skinny Splinter 8dec20_Moment.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Skinny Splinter 19jan21.JPG
    Skinny Splinter 19jan21.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Splinter 13oct21 (11)_Moment.jpg
    Splinter 13oct21 (11)_Moment.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Splinter 27oct21 (6).JPG
    Splinter 27oct21 (6).JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 52

backyardtndeer

Don't fret too much. He may have had EHD and survived. Or it could have been an injury, or one of a zillion other things that affect deer. The first two pics below are of a deer in 2020 that looked emaciated like that. For a 4yr old deer, he probably didn't weigh 100lbs. I named him Splinter because he looked old & broken & frail like the rat on Ninja Turtles, and he had a splintered brow tine. You could see his ribs, hips, even his vertebrae. I didn't think he would make it through the winter. But the third & fourth pic show what he turned into a year later. Same deer.

I know it looks like they're in misery when they're all skin & bones like that, and they probably are. But don't underestimate their ability to survive and come back STRONG. The good Lord designed them to be resilient.
Wow. Heck of a deer, especially considering how poor his condition was the prior year.

Ski

Wow. Heck of a deer, especially considering how poor his condition was the prior year.

Yessir it sure surprised me. I had all but counted him out because he looked near dead going into winter. But he was the first mature buck to show back up the next season, and dominated the area all season long. I never filled my tag because he was the only deer I hunted last year, and the closest I got was 60yds in bow season. Turns out he's not just resilient, but smart too. I got more pics of him in 2021 than any other deer and still wasn't able to get an arrow in him.

fairchaser

I know everyone wants to avoid the possibility of having CWD, but it's here big time in the western part of the state. In the later stages, deer won't eat and have aberrant behavior with little fear of man. They have been known to run in circles or swim in circles, stand A framed and drool. The only way to know is to test one. Idk what this deer has but it definitely won't make through the season.

Latest posts