Keep an eye out for EHD

BSK

EHD outbreaks occur in hot dry summers. So those in West and Middle TN keep an eye (and a nose) out for dead deer near water. EHD produces a high fever and sick deer seek out water to cool themselves. During big outbreaks deer are often found dead in ponds or along creeks.

Yesterday I smelled what I believe to be the first EHD victim I've encountered this year. I was running a Greenway along the Harpeth River early in the morning and as I passed a particular spot coming and going the smell of death was gagging. Whatever was dead, it was big, so I'm assuming a dead deer along the creek bank.

Omega

EHD outbreaks occur in hot dry summers. So those in West and Middle TN keep an eye (and a nose) out for dead deer near water. EHD produces a high fever and sick deer seek out water to cool themselves. During big outbreaks deer are often found dead in ponds or along creeks.

Yesterday I smelled what I believe to be the first EHD victim I've encountered this year. I was running a Greenway along the Harpeth River early in the morning and as I passed a particular spot coming and going the smell of death was gagging. Whatever was dead, it was big, so I'm assuming a dead deer along the creek bank.
I would report it, nowadays it could be a 2-legged dear.

Andy S.

Most of the water holes and small farm ponds are extremely low in SW TN. If deer seek them out, they should be very noticeable with current water levels. West TN is struggling.

8254E3F6-91DF-4CAF-A393-A3DE362C06CF.jpeg

BSK

If you have spring-fed running creeks on your property, would that make it reasonable to expect a lower incidence of ehd that the surrounding uplands?
Yes. It is stagnant water with mud borders that are the breeding ground for the midges that carry/transmit EHD.

I have no stagnant water on my place and I rarely find deer dead from EHD. But surrounding bottomlands and swamps get hit very, very hard.

JCDEERMAN

If you have spring-fed running creeks on your property, would that make it reasonable to expect a lower incidence of ehd that the surrounding uplands?
In another thread I mentioned some springs just off one side of our property. In 2019, that landowner found 16 dead bucks where 4 springs came out of the ground in about a 100 yard stretch. Probably ended up being more than that and who knows how many does

DoubleRidge

Would fogging, like for mosquitos, do any good?

I've often wondered the same thing....if you had muddy banks around a pond or creek....due to drought and low water levels.....could you spray something that would kill or prevent the midge from hatching?... wishful thinking I'm sure....just wish there was something we could do to prevent or lessen the impact in known areas.....I know I got baited into watching a YouTube video the other day that was titled something like "what landowners need to know about EHD and what can be done about it"....long video short.... essentially their opinion is there is absolutely nothing we can do....outbreaks are disturbing and sickening.... I just hope we make it through this drought without a major one.