CWD or EHD?

david k.

My buddy and I hunted yesterday morning at our lease in Fayette County, which is the hot spot for CWD.

When we left we saw a 3-4 year old 7 pointer standing in a pond on a neighbors property. He was only about 100 yards away from the road and never paid any attention to us when we stopped our trucks, got out and started watching him with binoculars.

He was about knee deep in the pond and just kept sticking his face up to his eyeballs under water over and over.

After 3-4 minutes he finally noticed us but just stood there looking at us and then calmly walked out of the water and into a shady spot under some trees…we finally just left.

I've killed several deer that have tested positive but every one of them looked at extremely healthy and was acting normal…what does the behavior of this buck sound like, CWD or EHD?

fairchaser

Idk, I've got pics of more than one good seven pointer this year. I hope it's not one of them. Certainly this is odd behavior for a whitetail. It could very well be CWD. A 50/50 chance for our deer herd.

BSK

Idk, I've got pics of more than one good seven pointer this year. I hope it's not one of them. Certainly this is odd behavior for a whitetail. It could very well be CWD. A 50/50 chance for our deer herd.
I've read nothing about CWD deer being drawn to water and standing in water. That's almost exclusively a sign of high fever, and at this time of year, likely EHD. CWD deer are generally lethargic, disoriented, and acting oddly, with no fear of Man. But anything is possible.

Latest posts