Dunstan Chestnut Trees

mcbuck58

That is really cool stuff!!! I tried this one time and set them outside and the squirrels got all of them dug out.

I planted 7 bare root chestnuts from Whitetail Hill earlier this spring. Hoping they take off. I'd like to do this and get more planted
When I set my seedlings outside I take the nut off the tree. I recommend planting in the fall. I plant end of October or first of November. When I plant I water in real heavy then do nothing until March when I clean out the tube. Trees go dormant but here in south central KY ground doesn't freeze so you get a little root growth during winter. That gives them a little jump start for the following summer when less rain. I use a 40"x40" plastic weed mat and use 5' tree tubes. Mat keeps soil moist and no competition from grass or weeds. Tubes protect from rabbits and deer plus condense in hot weather for moisture. I have never watered any of my 360 trees. I don't let my trees branch until they are out of the 5' tube. Then branches for the most part are out of deers reach.

DoubleRidge

I still get a little condensation under the lid even with the holes. I think that is good to keep moist. I used peet moss many years ago and had a lot of mold. Out of 200 to 300 nuts I usually have 3 to 5 mold. Last stratification period was unusual with no mold at all. Your welcome.
I'll add air holes in container lid and switch from peat moss to potting soil next time...maybe that will reduce mold issue.

DoubleRidge

That is really cool stuff!!! I tried this one time and set them outside and the squirrels got all of them dug out.

I planted 7 bare root chestnuts from Whitetail Hill earlier this spring. Hoping they take off. I'd like to do this and get more planted
First sawtooth acorns I ever planted in pots got robbed by squirrels....frustrating.

Last edited:

mcbuck58

Girlfriend held tape for me. Then grandson had to get his own tape measure from his tools.
IMG_6819.jpeg
IMG_6820.jpeg
IMG_6821.jpeg

mcbuck58

Thanks for sharing! When and what age do you plant them? Have you had any experience with the Chinese variety?
Dunstan has Chinese in it. Go to Chestnut Hill nursery online and you can read the story about American and Dunstan Chestnuts. They are the closest to American. Chinese are more bush like but have been made varieties that are more tree like. Had chestnuts years ago that were more Chinese. The Dunstans did way better and the Chinese that didn't die got pulled out and replaced. I like to plant chestnuts in the fall. Trees I'm growing to be planted this fall. I sell those seedlings starting October 1st.

mcbuck58

I've got up to 10" of growth so far. I can see the catkins are up to 2" also. Look at that bright green leaf color. That's cool. I have some caterpillars that are crawling around. They have nest in the woods on small trees. No nest on any chestnut but I did take out a few nest on apple and plum trees in another orchard. A few have made there way out of the woods to some chestnuts. I need to identify them.
IMG_7263.jpeg
IMG_7264.jpeg
IMG_7265.jpeg
IMG_7266.jpeg
IMG_7267.jpeg
IMG_7268.jpeg

wildlifefarmer

I've got up to 10" of growth so far. I can see the catkins are up to 2" also. Look at that bright green leaf color. That's cool. I have some caterpillars that are crawling around. They have nest in the woods on small trees. No nest on any chestnut but I did take out a few nest on apple and plum trees in another orchard. A few have made there way out of the woods to some chestnuts. I need to identify them.View attachment 224821View attachment 224822View attachment 224823View attachment 224824View attachment 224825View attachment 224826
Bag worms!

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts