Doesn't look like a good hatch this year..

ZachMarkus

Spent the week at camp working on clover plots. Saw lots of hens & poults. Lots of variance in size of poults though. Some half as big as the hens and saw one little one no bigger than a chucker. It was all he could do to fly upon a limb...
Seeing the same in Lawrence. Great hatch in my area this year.

Hymie3

My lease had the best hatch I can remember this year.

Attachments

• EBAC4BDD-5E6A-4E6C-900F-C36DEF3BFCA0.jpeg
    EBAC4BDD-5E6A-4E6C-900F-C36DEF3BFCA0.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 56

megalomaniac

Amazing how variable the hatch can be just a half county away.... which is why populations fluctuate so wildly from year to year. Literally the worse hatch we've ever had in southern middle TN this year on my farms. Poor hatch last year as well (but better than this year), so there weren't a ton of jakes around this year. I'm going to have some lean years coming up on my farms.

Last edited:

Hymie3

Amazing how variable the hatch can be just a half county away.... which is why populations fluctuate so wildly from year to year. Literally the worse hatch we've ever had in southern middle TN this year. Poor hatch last year as well (but better than this year), so there weren't a ton of jakes around this year. I'm going to have some lean years coming up on my farms.
I agree I live in North Hamilton County and I have seen zero Poults at the house (normally see 10-15) but my lease and Rhea County had a phenomenal hatch

Last edited:

megalomaniac

Woot! Just had 2 poults show up with a hen on a trail camera today!

Of course that means I have a 0.05 poult recruitment rate this year.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Spotty at best on the farms around here in West Hickman. One hen with four poults on neighbors place. Saw 10 poults with two hens on another, but that has been it. Seen several hens with no poults. For the last 5 years it's been rare to see a hen with more than 3 this time of year, usually I see 3-4 hens with 2-5 poults, so the hens that hatched their clutch seem to have done well here. I have not gotten around as much as usual so there may be more around, just haven't seen them.

Latest posts