Do the LITTLE things matter?

Os2 Outdoors

I'm so pumped up already about deer season I'm already losing sleep. On this note I feel when it comes down to the actual few seconds of shooting a buck/deer it usually hinges on "THE LITTLE" things. It doesn't matter if you put hundreds of hours in scouting an he's 20 yards broadside, if you mess up a little thing he's gone!!! I feel these can be numbered in the thousands but I'll give a few that I do that a lot of my buddies don't waste or take the time to think about that could make or break the deal. I also CHALLENGE Yall to add to my list.

1. Zippers- none of my gear or clothing has anything besides paracord to open them. I try an sound proof to the extreme. I won't allow anything that can go DING in my tree! The worst thing that can happen is to make a loud unnatural noise rite about the time your shifting your weight to turn for the shot.

2. Year round practice- archery or gun. I particularly like long range practice, I spend most of my time shooting between 60-100 yards with my bow. This will make those 25 yard (bow) or (100) gun shots seem very easy. When it comes to something that can take a mere few seconds to accomplish. You don't want to let those seconds hinge on a few rounds shot off the hood of a truck the night before season.

3. Being ready- Don't spend your hunt on TNdeer lol. It's amazing how many deer survive from guys not paying attention.
I take it a step farther an spend most of my hunt standing, plus I will envision scenarios of my buck arriving and even go through the steps of ranging a particular spot, drawing, anchoring, and envisioning the arrow disappear in his lungs.

4. Route to my tree within my affective range- I always walk to my tree within my effective bow range within a shooting lane. Everybody has had a buck come cruising through with his nose to the ground and stop as if he ran into a wall, then he hesitates, whirls, and he's gone. I do this just in case that happens. So if one locks up like that he's getting ranged an shot instead of hoping he takes another step out from behind the brush.

So let's hear some mere second deal breakers guys.

AT Hiker

I need to focus more on #2, I have a bad habit of not shooting enough. Living in a neighborhood is not the most conducive place to target practice.

I like the idea behind #4, its something I do but its mostly unintentional. I need to think more about it.

I wear tight compression fit gloves in the cold weather, keep my hands in my jacket pocket with handwarmers. After missing a few deer because I couldnt get my gloves off taught me a hard lesson.

I also shoot elevated when I do practice. If I get a nee stand I try to practice out of it before it goes in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath

Good thread.

Mines not so much zippers, but Velcro. Why do they even design hunting clothing and equipment with this stuff.

I also repackage all my snacks in zip lock snack bags so the original wrappers don't crinkle when I open them.

landman

I like the new screw in hangers , 3 peice ones
and prefer to have my bow hanging so I have to
move very little, many times it's so I can hide
behind it. And if needed I can push it out of the
way with the bow limb to shoot

Zippers on the pack are opened once I'm
in the tree ahead of time

And yes I need to shoot the bow more
I do usually have the MZ out a couple of times
during the year

Lost Lake

To expand a little on #2, I think it's a good idea to practice shooting under pressure of some type. Tournaments are a good way to do that, or simply getting together with like minded buddies and practicing together. Anything to help handle the pressure of when that deer gets in the "zone". Some people handle it really well, some don't.

TN Whitetail Freak

Lost Lake":k1oxszax said:
To expand a little on #2, I think it's a good idea to practice shooting under pressure of some type. Tournaments are a good way to do that, or simply getting together with like minded buddies and practicing together. Anything to help handle the pressure of when that deer gets in the "zone". Some people handle it really well, some don't.

to expand further on #2 i actually would do a 75 yd sprint/run to my bow and pick it up and shoot a 40 yd target....giving myself only 8 seconds from time of pickup and shot to get it off....i felt like it helped me greatly going 4/4 last year on bow kills

fairchaser

One of the issues that screw up hunters with a buck is the wind more than anything else. You can't control the wind. Even scent control is illusive, although it can be minimized. Bucks will use the wind to their advantage and your disadvantage every time. Stand height is something you can control. Could a deer smell you at 100 ft? Probably not. How about 50 ft? You see where I'm going. The higher the better with diminishing returns. With a bow height starts to be a disadvantage too. I have one spot where I'm 30 ft off the ground but 60 feet over the area I expect deer to enter. I can hunt upwind of approaching deer. This is a huge advantage. I want shirt that says Think Wind. It's that important.

landman

:smash:
fairchaser":2tz4gxdr said:
One of the issues that screw up hunters with a buck is the wind more than anything else. You can't control the wind. Even scent control is illusive, although it can be minimized. Bucks will use the wind to their advantage and your disadvantage every time. Stand height is something you can control. Could a deer smell you at 100 ft? Probably not. How about 50 ft? You see where I'm going. The higher the better with diminishing returns. With a bow height starts to be a disadvantage too. I have one spot where I'm 30 ft off the ground but 60 feet over the area I expect deer to enter. I can hunt upwind of approaching deer. This is a huge advantage. I want shirt that says Think Wind. It's that important.

The one thing I plan hunts with most often

Sometimes with the forecast changing a direction
during the morning hunts I climb down and
change stands sometimes even 1/2 Mile away
on the farm. It also lets me scout in and out
for fresh sign, and rut movement. Which BTW lead
me to my best 8 pt ever last year

gobblinfool

I know many people say that they shoot a lot...that is great...but how about shooting under pressure? Competing outside of the backyard and with others who you aren't familiar with.

When I taught bowhunter education in alaska, we had a 40% pass rate for archers on the practical test. Here is what they had to accomplish:

8 shots at 4 targets
5 must be in the kill zone
1 target must have both arrows in the kill zone

Now here was the target set up:

Deer at 15yds in the wide open
Caribou at 35 yards in the woods
Black bear at 20 yards from an elevated stand
Mountain goat at 35 yards in the woods

Guess how many people blanked the deer at 15 yards? Sure some didn't practice enough, didn't think it would be a tough test, so they thought they would show up.....but many people admitted it was the nerves of shooting in front of someone that they never met before.

I worked with a guy in SC in our indoor league, taught him the importance of follow through, and showed him that under pressure he could execute a perfect shot....which led him to killing 3 deer during his opening week of the SC bow season at his club.

Os2 Outdoors

gobblinfool":2ssrvlkf said:
I know many people say that they shoot a lot...that is great...but how about shooting under pressure? Competing outside of the backyard and with others who you aren't familiar with.

When I taught bowhunter education in alaska, we had a 40% pass rate for archers on the practical test. Here is what they had to accomplish:

8 shots at 4 targets
5 must be in the kill zone
1 target must have both arrows in the kill zone

Now here was the target set up:

Deer at 15yds in the wide open
Caribou at 35 yards in the woods
Black bear at 20 yards from an elevated stand
Mountain goat at 35 yards in the woods

Guess how many people blanked the deer at 15 yards? Sure some didn't practice enough, didn't think it would be a tough test, so they thought they would show up.....but many people admitted it was the nerves of shooting in front of someone that they never met before.

I worked with a guy in SC in our indoor league, taught him the importance of follow through, and showed him that under pressure he could execute a perfect shot....which led him to killing 3 deer during his opening week of the SC bow season at his club.
Pressure is huge. I shoot a good bit of tournament of during the summer. Used to be obsessed when I was younger an even hit a few national stage events.

It's funny, I actually shoot better under pressure!

Vermin93

Buzzard Breath":n2wlcbca said:
I also repackage all my snacks in zip lock snack bags so the original wrappers don't crinkle when I open them.

Yes! The wrappers on an energy bar or the labels on a bottled water or a bottle of Gatorade sure can be loud when the woods are quiet.

Buzzard Breath

Vermin93":3ssqkb3p said:
Buzzard Breath":3ssqkb3p said:

Yes! The wrappers on an energy bar or the labels on a bottled water or a bottle of Gatorade sure can be loud when the woods are quiet.
I don't drink bottled water and just carry small bladder in my fanny pack, but the folks around the office drink it. There's no way I would carry one of those new easy crush environmentally friendly bottles in the woods.

Brisco Darlin

Vermin93":2gu5425a said:
Buzzard Breath":2gu5425a said:

i do the same.

redblood

physically fitness is a an aspect that it seems so many hunters overlook. it amazes me the amount of pictures that I see where dedicated hunters have allowed themselves to get overweight and out of shape. since hunting is a sport, that makes hunters athletes. to perform at their highest level, athletes must be in shape. not trying to be mean, but I think that is one aspect where even some of the most accomplished hunters falls short.

AT Hiker

redblood":3jv1t9cg said:
physically fitness is a an aspect that it seems so many hunters overlook. it amazes me the amount of pictures that I see where dedicated hunters have allowed themselves to get overweight and out of shape. since hunting is a sport, that makes hunters athletes. to perform at their highest level, athletes must be in shape. not trying to be mean, but I think that is one aspect where even some of the most accomplished hunters falls short.

I got fat in college, Natural Lite and greasy cheeseburgers will get the best of us. Most of my hunting consisted of walking a couple hundreds yards to a tree stand, sitting for a few hours then calling it quits.

Once in graduate school I started getting back into shape, its amazing how long it takes to fix 3 years of bad habits. Since then; Im sick less, can walk further, terrain is no deterrent, and overall I feel just plain good. Im happy, healthy and fairly fit...all of which makes me a better hunter and better in life IMO.

Like I mentioned before; training for the hunt includes more than scouting, shooting, etc...year round training for me is focused on physical fitness.

When I leave my wife early in the mornings she knows that Im in the best condition I can be in at that moment, sure anything can happen to any of us but I have eliminated a lot of health risk. If I can keep from doing other risky and stupid things she would sleep much better at night[emoji13]

Also, being "skinny" doesnt equal being "healthy", vice versus.

TheLBLman

Buzzard Breath":13mpk2o3 said:
Mines not so much zippers, but Velcro. Why do they even design hunting clothing and equipment with this stuff.

Same thoughts here.
I remove the Velcro from any deer hunting clothing that comes with it, and ALWAYS repackage snacks/food into zip lock bags.

Many of these "little things" that matter a lot with deer (and turkey) hunting, would not matter with some other types of hunting.

But regarding both deer and turkey hunting, another little thing is to be totally motionless and totally quiet immediately after firing a shot or releasing an arrow. Many people are too quick to move and make noise, sometimes sabotaging their own opportunities for a sometimes needed follow-up shot, and/or spooking a deer that might have not run off so far had they not spooked it so quickly. I want to puke every time I see one of the shooters on a turkey or deer shooting video immediately start acting like an idiot after they shoot, part of why I quit watching them.

redblood

AT Hiker":3pozu0rk said:
redblood":3pozu0rk said:

I got fat in college, Natural Lite and greasy cheeseburgers will get the best of us. Most of my hunting consisted of walking a couple hundreds yards to a tree stand, sitting for a few hours then calling it quits.

Once in graduate school I started getting back into shape, its amazing how long it takes to fix 3 years of bad habits. Since then; Im sick less, can walk further, terrain is no deterrent, and overall I feel just plain good. Im happy, healthy and fairly fit...all of which makes me a better hunter and better in life IMO.

Like I mentioned before; training for the hunt includes more than scouting, shooting, etc...year round training for me is focused on physical fitness.

When I leave my wife early in the mornings she knows that Im in the best condition I can be in at that moment, sure anything can happen to any of us but I have eliminated a lot of health risk. If I can keep from doing other risky and stupid things she would sleep much better at night[emoji13]

Also, being "skinny" doesnt equal being "healthy", vice versus.

agree on all points. I got fat early in college and finally got in shape before graduate school. been running/biking ever since- 7 mile run today and 12 miles on the bike today. it definitely makes me a better hunter,as gobbling up distance is a breeze.

TheLBLman

redblood":vw1djz9n said:
small game hunting goes a long way into keeping your skills sharp
I agree.
For me, I believe early fall squirrel hunting greatly really helps my deer hunting abilities.
Other types of small-game hunting can be better for certain skill sets (such as dove shooting might improve shooting skills), but for just overall basic hunting skills pertinent to deer hunting, squirrel hunting in late August/early September is very beneficial, mainly in recognition and sorting sounds you hear, picking up on movement in your peripheral vision, getting better at walking more quietly, etc.

Latest posts