DIY antelope hunt

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
If you want to DIY on antelope I might suggest a couple of things. One, when asking permission tell the landowner you will keep your vehicle only on maintained trails/roads. They hate ying-yangs driving all over especially on good grass........show up with good BLM and/or plat maps, know the guys name going in......if he declines, gracefully ask the rancher who else who borders him who might allow you to get an antelope. Ask about keeping gates open/close and hunting pastures that may/may not have livestock in them. If the weather looks like rain, explain you would be more than happy to hike in from any county road and not tear up any trails in the wet gumbo. And if all else fails, keep a couple of C-notes handy.......sometimes they appreciate a little something for feeding those critters 365 days a year. Ranching isn't easy and fuel costs are eating guys up.

Tree Man

Tnyoteboy said:
Working on a hunt next year with my brother-in-law who lives in Cody. Wants me to go elk hunting, but I would rather kill a speedgoat or a mulie right now. I asked about pronghorns or mulies and he said "Aah heck, you can stop on the side of the road and kill one of them, I'm a 16 mile horse ride to elk paradise". Got to get working on that.

Make sure you check how the area is classifed. In Wyoming if it is classified as a wilderness area you have to have a licesed guide not just a resident. Just don't want to see you get into trouble.
Here's a real kicker. I have a friend in North Carolina that is a license Wyoming guide. But since he is a non-resident if he hunts in a classified wilderness area he has to be in the company of a license guide. Go figure.

Latest posts