Disparities with Mens and Ladies NCAA Tournaments

sun

If you haven't heard, the ladies teams waiting to play in the NCAA tourney aren't happy concerning the differences with their treatment compared to the men.
Among the complaints are the lack of food options, the difference in the quality of the covid tests being used, the lack of weight room facilities, and even the number of freebies included in their swag bags aren't nearly the same.

The NCAA has dropped the ball and says that they will try to fix things, but not sure how smooth that will go.

There's a few different articles that include tweeted videos and photos comparing some of the issues.

sun

Last edited:

sun

It really is crazy... BUT why now? BLM?
The ladies are in quarantine waiting to play in their tournament and are upset.
The NCAA screwed up and the players want people to know about how title lX is not being followed.
I don't see any connection to BLM at all.
The ladies want a weight room and some decent food to eat.
Plus they're being given the cheaper inaccurate covid tests that are supposed to be protecting them.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
If I had to guess, I'd say they made the mistake of not putting the same person I charge of accommodations for both.

wayne

Women's tournament loses money, Men's tournament is the NCAA cash-cow.
Women should feel lucky they're highlights don't look like scenes from Hoosiers.

sun

Women's tournament loses money, Men's tournament is the NCAA cash-cow.
Women should feel lucky they're highlights don't look like scenes from Hoosiers.
I can't find it said anywhere that the women's tournament loses money.
It generates about $35 mil per year in revenue.
Even though the men's tournament made $800 mil, the NCAA earns plenty of money to support both tournaments.

"The women's DI tournament generates far less TV money than the men's (about $35 million a year instead of about $800 million), but those revenue differences don't excuse the treatment gap. The NCAA has plenty of money to provide an equivalent tournament experience to players in both events. And if there's one industry that does not reward labor commensurate with how much revenue it brings in, it's college sports. Besides, how can women's basketball be expected to grow if the NCAA continues to treat it as second-class? The NCAA is nominally a nonprofit that's supposed to lift up all of its athletes.

The NCAA has admitted that it "fell short" in the amenities it provided the women. That framing mainly suggests the organization did not think it would get caught. Most of the administration of college sports is left to universities and conference offices. The basketball tournaments are the biggest events the NCAA puts on each year. It defies belief that the differences in treatment for men and women were some kind of oversight."

Latest posts