Did a little scouting..(graphic)

Simpleman.2

Decided to do a little scouting in the mountains this evening to prepare for the Muzzleloader hunt next week.(Cherokee NF) I loaded up my backpack with a few trail cameras and headed off into the woods. I walked a little over an hour into the woods to a spot I had been wanting to check out. I was close to 3 miles in. As I was walking down an overgrown road bed I look in front of me and to my surprise I found a dead yearling that had been freshly killed and half eaten. I'm suspecting it was a bear considering I'm in the middle of bear country but whatever it was covered it back up with leaves to hide it from other predators. I know mountain Lions will do this but I haven't heard of a bear doing it. Coyotes could have possibility killed it and a bear might have just taken it from them. I know this happens from time to time. Anyways I quickly hung a trail camera over it and got the heck out of there lol. I normally carry a weapon on me but this time I had ran off and forgot it. Hopefully Ill get a pic of whatever killed it. I will update the thread with pics next week when I head back down in there.
776d654eb1bf38a9587aa46de446841f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stykbow

I'll be watching for the update with pics. You definitely have my curiosity. You should get some interesting pics off of it.

Stykbow

I'm betting on coyote pics, but considering it's in Cherokee we might see some bear or bobcat pics. I'm just always interested in predator pics.

DirtyBear0311

Bear do that as well so it will be interesting to see. However, that scent will carry for a ways and all sorts of carrion eaters are likely to show up.

rem270

Really dude? You put a cam up over something like that and then say "hey I'll update you next week". It might as well be next year because I'll be waiting and watching for the pic and i have very little patience :D :D

Simpleman.2

It could have possibly been a bobcat. I just assumed coyotes most likely killed it and a bear has taken it from them. I'm sure I'll never exactly no for sure because I'm sure all sorts of predators will show up to check it out. None the less I should have some pretty interesting pics.

Simpleman.2

rem270":1ta8k8pf said:
Really dude? You put a cam up over something like that and then say "hey I'll update you next week". It might as well be next year because I'll be waiting and watching for the pic and i have very little patience :D :D

Haha sorry man. That 3 mile walk is no fun. Especially when it's all uphill coming out! Lol

Winchester

Hard to tell what killed it but very likely a Cat that covered it up. Pics should be interesting as lots of things will eat it now if they find it.

Southern Sportsman

Poser":3djzc9fw said:
Southern Sportsman":3djzc9fw said:
Yall think a bobcat killed a deer? I would think even a yearling deer would be way to big for a bobcat. Am underestimating them?

Bobcats do kill deer sometimes, especially fawns. It could be though that a bobcat simply buried it and something else killed it.

Yeay, that makes sense. I could see a big bobcat killing a fawn in the spring, but not a fall-sized deer.

JeepKuntry

Usually coyotes start at the back and work their way forward. My guess is a bobcat. Now a coyote might find it and start eating.