Post season scouting

hbg1

Been out in the snow trying to put the pieces together. I noticed tracks under just about every cedar tree. Never saw deer eat from a cedar tree. I didn't notice any of the small, blue berry-like fruit that you sometimes see on cedars.

Andy S.

4-6" of snow on the ground is throwing them for a loop in/around my neighborhood. I noticed some does out scavenging last night, looking for anything to eat that was above snowline. They were moving slow, almost zombie like, compared to how they act Oct/Nov.

Carlos

I've been throwing the corn to 'em.
Hopefully they have some fat built up to help em get thru.

hbg1

The cedars (and pines) will be used as bedding cover in cold, wet, windy, snowy weather. I expect to see deer bunched up around evergreens in this kind of weather.
They weren't bedding, just tracks, lots of tracks

TNTreeman

I spent a couple hrs today scouting and hanging a few cameras . Following footprints and making notes can be helpful for the future. I put a couple cameras out today in Cedar thickets where there was obvious tracks doing some inventory. One deer in particular I was impressed with hasn't been seen since late September. Hope he's still around.

Stalkhunter

This weather keeps up it will be very hard on the deer. Coming from northern state I have seen a lot of winter kill and it is not pretty.

JCDEERMAN

I put a couple cameras out today in Cedar thickets where there was obvious tracks doing some inventory. One deer in particular I was impressed with hasn't been seen since late September.
One of my favorite things to do is follow tracks in the snow. Especially in areas you know where they cross, but not necessarily where they travel specifically before and after that crossing. Very informative!

mike243

Only time I seen winter kill was in Mi back in the late 60's, 3'+ snow and the deer were yarded up, bark and small branches were chewed down, there was a large amount of folks feeding them per the tv stations up there,

kaizen leader

Looks like there was a deer dance party in my front and back yard last nights right up to my house. I live in condo community on Old Hickory lake. I should have killed a few this year. There are going to be a lot of fawns again. At -4 an almost feel sorry for them.

deerhunter10

I've noticed especially this cold erratic deer patterns, notice it last year. While I enjoy looking at sign in the snow, with it this cold I think it's not as true as normal. This cold our deer aren't accustomed to it and they kind of seem lost. As opposed to when it's around 30 and snow seem more true to what I see from stands and cameras. Maybe not true but the last 2 years where we got zero and below they seem more sporadic.

Latest posts