Finally pulled the trigger (graphic)

dogmatik

Was there for opener of muzzle and passed on a young 8 at first light. Never really saw a deer the rest of the week. Fast forward to gun and I was bouncing between Clay and Overton counties, until some yahoos put out some corn and a blind on the property in Overton. Landowner called the GW and he said I was ok to hunt as I am so far away from the corn. Whoever did it put the corn kinda close to the road and on main trail we walk in on. Hunted family land on Thanksgiving and headed to Overton Friday. Saw a spike, two does and the GW. He walked up on me in my stand and we chatted a bit and swapped numbers. Didn't shoot one that day and figured I was done in Tn. The wife asked if I was going Saturday to just shoot one as she's tired of my paying that much for a license and I don't shoot often. So I decide to go.
Saturday morning was eerily quiet. No birds no squirrels, nothing moving at all. I tell my nephew that we can head out at 9am as I have to head back to Florida. At 8:58 I hear a loud limb snap behind me on the rise. Standing on the ground, I turn around and see a young doe coming through the thick stuff. Then I see legs coming through the same trail and thought maybe that nice 8 was behind her. Nope, just a larger doe. I use the scope to verify it's not a spike or anything and pull the trigger. Boom, deer falls. Then I heard some thrashing in the leaves before it all quiet. Head up the rise. Maybe 10 foot up and 20 yards away, see the deer laying dead.
Upon closer inspection it looks like I also shot a tree. I never saw the tree because the sun was pretty much behind the deer. Either way, dead deer and meat in the cooler.
Here's where it went down….
IMG_0644.jpeg

After I put the drag rope on her I noticed the tree. Had to take a pic. Now a 30-06 after going through a tree makes an awesome mess. I think I hit every vital organ with one shot. Here's under the skin. Entrance side.
Resized_20231125_103919.jpeg

There was wood and hair all inside the wound. Even found a sliver of lead in her drivers side ham. Lost some back strap but that's fine.

Sorry for the long post just had to get it all out !

Joe2Kool

I zeroed a 2" sapling at 24 yards with a bow. Monster Iowa buck was at 25 yards. As he trotted off, I thought "man, that sounded like it hit something solid!" 😆 😆

Congrats on the doe. Meat for the freezer!

Latest posts