depredation permit

Columbia Scott

I am working on getting permission to hunt a very nice tract of land. The owner has obtained a depredation permit as he runs a successful agricultural operation that has been severely impacted by deer. He is not interested in the wholesale slaughter of deer just those that are actually consuming his crops. He has put my name on the permit and asked me to do this over the growing season. Is there a sight I can go to that details the rules? Anyone ever done this? It is less hunting and more eradication I assume.

catman529

from what I hear, they usually make it so you have to leave the animals to rot, which I don't like because the meat could be sent to HFTH or even your own freezer with just a little knife work. But put my name on the list, I'd love to kill a deer out of season legally :D ;)

tickweed

yea, farmer beside me kills em and lets them just rot. Last yr. I had two big does that both had very small ,and I mean small fawns. He killed both the does on the edge of a bean field, and left the tiny fawns, which I guess both set died. They vanished quick after the mothers where shot. Im totally against it, especially early spring, and leaving them to rot.

doubledownranch

When I got my depredation permit, the first question they asked was how I was going to dispose of the carcasses. I didn't think TWRA was OK with letting the animal lie where it's shot.

woodsman87

I used to disagree with this depredation permit stuff. But I have now seen first hand what kind of damage they can do to crops and even cow pastures and hay fields.

I also hit one in my truck a couple of months ago, cost me about $500. I now have a whole different view of whitetail deer. I will continue to enjoy hunting them, but never have before realized we have we too many deer in our area. I may actually try to kill several does next season.

Hunter 257W

I guess the moral of the story is to give some thought as to what you need to ask TWRA about before getting the permit. If you don't ask for it, they won't allow it.

pressfit

One of my buddies had a 30 acre bean field completely destroyed by deer.. another had one bigger than that destroyed.. over 150 deer were killed in the one field alone.. and they still didnt have anything to harvest..

Hunter 257W

pressfit said:
One of my buddies had a 30 acre bean field completely destroyed by deer.. another had one bigger than that destroyed.. over 150 deer were killed in the one field alone.. and they still didnt have anything to harvest..

Wow, I can't imagine that kind of deer population. They just eat some along the fringes around my place and later in the season the beans overwhelm the deer. By harvest time you can hardly tell the deer ever ate anything at all.

Inkstainz

I would have a problem with letting them rot. I would have to make sure I could either keep the meat or give away to friends, family or some organization. We have millions of people around the world starving for us to be shooting deer and letting them lay.

280longshot

I would not shoot a deer and let it rot.
If there are that many deer, why hasn't he taken care of the over population by allowing liberal deer harvest during regular season.
Im sorry I couldn't do it...that's just killing..

Columbia Scott

Under no circumstances will I shoot a deer and let it lay. I'll have to move quickly but it will be quartered and in a cooler in under an hour. They have killed many deer there every year. Far more than we ever did on our lease. Some places are just crawling with them. He has shown me pictures of as many as 50 does in and around the crops this year.

Latest posts