Deer jerky

Displaced_Vol

I grab whatever I have in the fridge at the time. Usually heavy on the dark marinades (soy, teriyaki, dales, allegro, etc.), minced garlic, hot sauce, dried chili's, a fair dollop of honey and depending on if it's staying at home or going on a hunting trip I'll top it off with the appropriate level of hot chili powder/flakes.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
B793058D-4E03-4946-8B5B-1CC81FC91AA4.jpeg
mix the dry ingredients well before adding the liquid. If you like it hot the double the red pepper. Like mesquite then sprinkle some on when it goes in the dehydrator. I use Kraft or sweet baby Ray's hickory bbq. Let it marinade in fridge for at least 12 hrs

Last edited:

Omega

Used to do the whole DIY thing with marinades and spices, and it was good, but now I use Nesco Spicy jerky mix and a jerky shooter, it is much easier and it includes cure so it lasts much longer.

duckriver

I've never done the shooter. Just cut into strips and dehydrate. Is that grinding it up and making what looks like sausage links?

BamaProud

"Wolverine Lodge Jerky".

Wolverine Lodge Jerky
5 lbs Venison
3/4 cup Soy Sauce
3/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Black Pepper
8 cloves Garlic – Pressed
1/2 tsp Powdered Onion
2 tsp Nutmeg
2 tsp Ginger
1 – 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbs Dark Brown Molasses
2 Tbs Raw Sugar
1/2 bottle of Chipotle Tabasco
3 capfuls of Meat Tenderizer

Heat the ingredients to melt the sugar and infuse the ingredients, however, do not bring them to a boil as the mixture will burn. Heat just enough to melt all the ingredients together.
Place the mixture in the freezer to cool, then add the meat.
Cover and place in the refrigerator for 24 hours

Notes:
This recipe does not use Sodium Nitrate, which virtually all commercial Jerky mixes utilize. Sodium Nitrate is a meat preservative. It is also a color fixative. If you compare Jerky using sodium nitrate to Jerky without it, you will notice the pinkish color of the sodium nitrate product. (Corned Beef also often has this pinkish color.) There does not appear to be any distinguishable taste difference between nitrate based Jerky and Jerky lacking nitrate, however, there is some research to suggest health issues associated with Sodium Nitrate. Likewise, there is research to indicate that there are no health risks associated with Sodium Nitrate.
Darker color of whole muscle Jerky made without Sodium Nitrate. The darker color appears to be the only distinguishable difference. However, Jerky made with Sodium Nitrate will have an extended shelf life. If you intend to store your jerky for long periods of time, this may be a option to consider, however, it is still likely overkill. I tend to make my jerky more on a "as needed" basis. By "as needed", I mean "I'm going rabbit hunting this weekend, so I need to make some jerky", or, "I need to make some Jerky for the fast approaching Spring Turkey season." You will know if your Jerky turns as it will have funky mold. Alton Brown suggest something in the neighborhood of 30-40 years and that's without a nitrate. You should be fine.

Dehydration time will vary depending on the thickness of your jerky, relative humidity in your home etc... but I generally start checking it around 5-6 hrs and every ~30 min's after that. I like to pull it just before it becomes brittle. You will likely want to pull some of the smaller pieces before the larger ones.

Omega

I've never done the shooter. Just cut into strips and dehydrate. Is that grinding it up and making what looks like sausage links?
It has an attachment to make them flat, or round, so you can make jerky or hot sticks if you like. It really is nice, and you can't really tell it started as ground.

WTM

for quick jerky i have used the wildlife seasonings from rural king. the original flavor tastes like a slim jim. the nesco brand tastes about the same.

as far as the nitrate comment on the above recipe, you dont use sodium nitrate for jerky or hot smoked meats. you use prague #1 (salt and sodium nitrite 6.25%. sodium nitrate is in prague #2 mixed with salt and sodium nitrite and used for low temp drying like pepperoni or salami, dry hams, etc. which are dried for months and the nitrate breaks down into nitrite for an extended release effect. the 2012 study pretty much put to rest the cancer link. besides if you eat spinach, eat smoked meat, celery, drink water or use kingsford charcoal then youve been eating nitrates/nitrites and didnt know it. its the nitrosamines that cause cancer not nitrites or nitrates themselves.

its fine if you dont use a cure #1 in jerky, just avoid recipes without an acid component and use a good smoker or dehydrator and freeze for storage. avoid those round stackable Ronco types for safety sake.

MUP

Dale's steak sauce, low sodium now, worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, some liquid smoke, then shake in some garlic and onion powder, along with some coarse black pepper. Let it all marinate for at least a couple hrs, then, as I lay it out on the dehydrator, I sprinkle some mesquite flakes over the top on each level. Some of the best I've ever et. :D

Woodman

I use what's left of last years venison round steaks cut in 1inch x 1/8 inch strips. I make a marinade of teriyaki sauce, soy sauce, tiger sauce, texas pete, season salt, onion salt, black pepper and let the meat marinate for at least 10 hours overnight. Place in dehydrator for 8 to 10 hours. I have 6 lbs. in the dehydrator as I type this. :)

Smo

16 ozs Worcestershire Sauce
16 ozs Soy Sauce
16 ozs Liquid Smoke

Soak in refrigerator over night then dehydrate.

I sprinkle Tonys Cajun Seasoning on it with a little black and red pepper..... for taste.

Mud Creek

I tried a new recipe this year that I thought turned out real good. Don't have the exact measurements but I used

1 bottle of teriyaki sauce
Little bit of Dale's seasonings for the salty taste.
Honey Powder
Weber Jalapeno Garlic rub
And some cayenne for extra kick(but not much, you could even leave it out)

I wasn't sure how it would turn out and just wanted to try something new honestly but everyone that had it said it was hands down their favorite. The mixture of the teriyaki, honey rub, and garlic jalapeno garlic made for a great taste.

Mag

2-Step Enabled
Per pound...

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbl spoon black pepper
1 tbl spoon onion powder
1 tbl spoon garlic salt
1 tbl spoon lemon juice
3 tbl spoon liq smoke
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/3 cup soy sauce

then I add some red pepper flakes and bbq sauce with a little honey. Makes a great sweet / spicy jerky