Deer Hunting Ames Plantation

Mike Belt

I haven't met these 2 hunters yet and either they're dedicated to deer hunting and/or have lots of money to spend but they just joined Ames a couple of weeks ago. As much as I love deer hunting I don't think I could pay our dues for 2 weeks of hunting at the tail end of the season. Evidently somebody thinks Ames is worth it.

Headhunter

The turkey hunting part does not bother me in the least. I will be a member when my best places are sold which seems to be getting closer.

shaggy

The amount of 4 1/2 year olds that are killed and don't make the 125" requirement seems odd. Either the genetics aren't that great or the person judging them is just saying that the deer are that old so that fines don't have to be paid.

BSK

shaggy said:
The amount of 4 1/2 year olds that are killed and don't make the 125" requirement seems odd. Either the genetics aren't that great or the person judging them is just saying that the deer are that old so that fines don't have to be paid.

It has nothing to do with genetics. Mature bucks in most of TN do not grow anywhere near the size antlers hunters think they do. In many parts of the state, 4 1/2 year-old bucks only average 120-125, hence half of mature bucks won't gross 125. Heck, in large parts of East TN, mature bucks don't even come close to averaging 125.

fairchaser

BSK said:
shaggy said:

It has nothing to do with genetics. Mature bucks in most of TN do not grow anywhere near the size antlers hunters think they do. In many parts of the state, 4 1/2 year-old bucks only average 120-125, hence half of mature bucks won't gross 125. Heck, in large parts of East TN, mature bucks don't even come close to averaging 125.

I agree BSK with your stats. We get pics of deer that are mature but don't make the score. Very difficult to age on the hoof because the buck's body size can fool you on age. Also, the manager ages the buck right in front of you and shows you how he determined the age based in tooth wear and replacement. If there is a question, he will lean toward the hunter. There is no bias based on my experience. Here is an example of a mature buck that won't make the score as impressive as he is.

BSK

For any single age-class of buck 2 1/2 or older in any given location, the range of scores actually grown will produce a bell-shaped distribution curve with a smallest to largest range exceeding 100 gross inches. I've yet to find any location where this rule does not hold true. That means for every truly top-end buck of that age, there will also be a bottom-end buck of the same age that is more than 100 inches lower in score. In fact, I usually find considerable "overlap" between top-end of the youngest age-classes and the bottom-end of the oldest age-classes. In most locations outside of the Midwest, I find the very top-end yearling bucks in the area have higher gross scores than the smallest-antlered mature bucks.

I've measured plenty of mature bucks that only scored in the 50s (usually big forkhorn racks), and plenty of yearling bucks that scored in the 80s.

Mike Belt

Ames has reached it's potential just as any managed property will in time when a high percentage of bucks are reaching maturity (4.5 years/+). Once a land has been developed for deer hunting (adequate food, cover, and age/sex ratios achieved) there's not much else a hunter can do to boost gross antler scores. That's left up to Mother Nature and the nature of the beast. Unfortunately, here in this part of Tn that doesn't bode well for huge antlers. Many of the bucks taken at Ames are 4.5 years old by default; we let them walk at 2.5 and 3.5. Our 4.5 year olds probably don't average 125" but many of them will score that and better. That's why so many that don't necessarily reach our minimum antler score are still considered legal bucks by age (4.5 or older).

Although scoring and aging is done by Ames there is almost always a contingency of hunters gathered at the checking station scoring and aging on the side. With enough practice you can get pretty good at it. I'd have to say that Ames does a pretty good job. As far as boosting the age to eliminate fines, Ames doesn't want to see anyone have to pay a fine, but they don't hesitate levying one if need be. First and foremost, it would mean that their guidelines aren't working or being adhered to.

Fact is, in case you missed it somewhere along the lines, we have an outstanding record of progressing bucks into higher age brackets. I don't doubt there are many places in Tn you would stand a better chance at higher scoring mature bucks but I doubt there are many that would rival Ames' number of mature bucks.

BSK

Mike Belt said:
Fact is, in case you missed it somewhere along the lines, we have an outstanding record of progressing bucks into higher age brackets. I don't doubt there are many places in Tn you would stand a better chance at higher scoring mature bucks but I doubt there are many that would rival Ames' number of mature bucks.

And that's why Ames is such a unique hunting opportunity in TN. It, and the rules it uses to get there, are not for everybody. But they are for some hunters, and those hunters have no problem paying what they do to have that experience, and have no problem living by the rules used to produce that experience.

fairchaser

Headhunter said:
What are the rules and fines on buck harvest?

There are many and can be complicated. Generally, the buck must score 125 gross B&C or be 4.5 years old or there is a fine, loss or hunting time or both. Fines run $150 if you have hunted there three years or more and the buck is at least 115 and its the first buck. They can run up to $400 if its the second buck under 115. The fines are meant to increase with the severity of error or consistency of mistakes. Any buck under 120, the hunter loses the horns too. If you want more specifics, you can probably contact Ames for a set of rules. The peer pressure and the desire to conform with the QDM objectives is probably more of an incentive to stay within the rules than the fines, at least for me. By the way, no one is made to feel bad if they make a mistake. Every one does at some point regardless of their experience.

BSK

fairchaser said:
The peer pressure and the desire to conform with the QDM objectives is probably more of an incentive to stay within the rules than the fines..

Just as a technicality, I wouldn't call what Ames is doing "QDM." It is far more a modified form of trophy management.

Mike Belt

New Members (a continuous membership for 1 or 2 years.
Veteran Members (" " " " for 3 or more years)
1. A $400 fine for taking over 2 bucks and possible termination of membership.
2. First buck of season scores less then 115": new member $250 and loss of buck hunting privileges for 10 days following kill date/veteran member $150 and loss of buck hunting privileges for 7 days following kill date.
3. First buck of season scores less than 125" but more than 115":new member $250/veteran member $150.
4. Second buck of season scores less than 125" but more than 115":new member $300/veteran member $200.
5. Second buck of season scores less than 115": new member $350 and loss of all hunting privileges for 10 days following kill date/veteran member $250 and loss of all hunting privileges for 7 days following kill date.
6. Any member regardless of status killing 2 bucks that score less than 115":$400 and loss of all hunting privileges for remainder of the year.
7. Any spike with antlers 3" or more: Any member $100
8. Loss of racks scoring 115"-120". Member can keep them by paying an extra fine of $150.
9. Loss of racks scoring less than 115".
10. If any buck is killed when buck hunting privileges aren't allowed and that buck scored 125" or more: $1000 fine, loss of all hunting privileges for remainder of season, and possible termination of membership.
11. All scores are negated if bucks prove to be 4.5 years old or older.

Seems like a lot to remember but not really. All you have to remember is 125" or 4.5 years old. It'll improve your on the hoof scoring and aging skills...or lighten your wallet, lol.

volsgo1

Contacted Dr Houston today about signing back up. I was a member for several years.

Here is the return Email I got

James,

I am glad to see your interest in the Ames deer program. A first step for joining the club is to contact Beth and ask her to forward the contract/regs so you can look them over. After that, if you want to join, the process is pretty simple and she can lead you through it.

I anticipate no waiting period this year. The Membership is not full and has not been since the economic fall-out. The numbers are steadily climbing but I do not believe we will fill up this year. So, this is a good year to get in.

Having hunted here in the past you likely know the terrain and the ropes, but anything I can help you with, let me know.

Allan Houston

bbuck14

Another thing about Ames is that it's always has been good deer there. I hunted Ames a number of years ago along with several friends before it was ever a hunting club. I killed a 2 1/2 yr old 10 point that grossed 130 2/8 back in 86. It's always has been a good place to hunt with plenty of potential!