Deer Harvest numbers/ Poaching

peytoncreekhunter

From reading the other deer harvest number thread I read posts that were laying blame on the TWRA because of the telecheck system. I just don't think any blame can be put on the TWRA. Poachers are going to poach. As far as making it easier, we'll to me, that is all on the individual. Whoever does it knows its wrong whether it is "easier" or not. And I'm sure that deer go unchecked, an unfortunate (and illegal) side affect. Could be the person hunts private land and they can slip it down to a barn and butcher it themselves. Could be they load it in the vehicle and decide to get to their house as quick as possible and chance it. Is that the fault of the TWRA? No way..... again it's the hunters fault solely.

I remember a thread where the TWRA caught guff from some for being on an overpass and having an officer stop vehicles if they saw a deer in the bed of the truck to verify it was legal. So it appears that they are danged if they do and danged if they don't. We can't have it both ways.

I like the telecheck system as I've read that others do. It sure is nice to check it out right there on the spot and not have to leave the farm.

No system would be perfect for every hunter.

Just my opinion.

Lost Lake

I don't think it can be blamed on telecheck. As soon as someone praises telecheck though, the usual suspects will chime in about the need to bring back physical check stations.

As soon as someone praises physical check stations, someone will chime in about how nice it is to to not have to drive around searching for a place to check one in.

I see both sides, and loved the excitement of bringing a buck in to a check station, but I like telecheck much more.

There are so many ways that the numbers can be wrong that it can't be blamed on any one thing IMO.

The one thing that I see that could greatly skew hunter numbers and #'s of deer checked in are landowner exemptions, and the possibilities that many of those deer killed by them aren't checked in because of it. Not trying to insult anyone.

backyardtndeer

the telecheck system as I've read that others do. It sure is nice to check it out right there on the spot and not have to leave the farm.
Yes sir, from my field to my kitchen to my freezer. Never has to leave our property. No excuse not to check them.

Excuses for cheats are just that. If someone isn't gonna check theirs, it isn't going to matter to them how easy it is, it is in their mindset for whatever reason.

backyardtndeer

The one thing that I see that could greatly skew hunter numbers and #'s of deer checked in are landowner exemptions, and the possibilities that many of those deer killed by them aren't checked in because of it. Not trying to insult anyone
Landowners are required to check theirs just like anyone else. I have hunted landowner most my time hunting and have ALWAYS checked in my deer as have all our family that hunts our small farm. Maybe we are an exception, dunno?

catman529

Checking in a deer from your phone is way easier than driving to a checking station. You still have to have a temp tag or check it in before you drag the deer. People who don't check their deer in were doing it before telecheck. I don't see how making it easier to check in a deer would mean that fewer people check their deer in. Makes no sense. I have no problem at all with the system right now.

AT Hiker

I had this conversation with a "old timer" not too long ago, they brought up a good point.

Paraphrasing here; "back in the day I would shoot a deer, drive down to the check station and drive back home to hang it in the barn. Now, I shoot it and hang in the barn, get busy doing something else and almost forgot to check it in"

I personally don't think it happens enough to matter and most are probably honest about it and make it right.

I believe KS requires you to take a picture of your harvest during online check in, that might help if it truly is a concern here. Cost would be a issue?

peytoncreekhunter

I checked more deer in at check station
With the deer hanging in the cooler at home

Never once had some one look at it

One gas station made me use the lil computer to check my own deer in

If you are gonna break the law it is as easy then as now

It is the individual that is the problem

Absolutely

Stalkhunter

I think we are a dying breed and the up and coming generation doesn't hunt. This is even talked about in my home state.

I heard less shots this season then ever.

BSK

Cheaters are going to cheat, no matter the rules. But I do think many MORE deer go unchecked under telecheck simply because it's so easy to forget to do it. But does this bother me? Nope.

The only thing I lament about the loss of check stations is the physical data that was collected. I found that data invaluable from a biological standpoint.

bulld

From reading the other deer harvest number thread I read posts that were laying blame on the TWRA because of the telecheck system. I just don't think any blame can be put on the TWRA. Poachers are going to poach. As far as making it easier, we'll to me, that is all on the individual. Whoever does it knows its wrong whether it is "easier" or not. And I'm sure that deer go unchecked, an unfortunate (and illegal) side affect. Could be the person hunts private land and they can slip it down to a barn and butcher it themselves. Could be they load it in the vehicle and decide to get to their house as quick as possible and chance it. Is that the fault of the TWRA? No way..... again it's the hunters fault solely.

I remember a thread where the TWRA caught guff from some for being on an overpass and having an officer stop vehicles if they saw a deer in the bed of the truck to verify it was legal. So it appears that they are danged if they do and danged if they don't. We can't have it both ways.

I like the telecheck system as I've read that others do. It sure is nice to check it out right there on the spot and not have to leave the farm.

No system would be perfect for every hunter.

Just my opinion.
I concur. Most systems work well when people simply follow the rules and Extra rules won't make dishonest people do better unfortunately

Joe2Kool

Yes sir, from my field to my kitchen to my freezer. Never has to leave our property. No excuse not to check them.

Excuses for cheats are just that. If someone isn't gonna check theirs, it isn't going to matter to them how easy it is, it is in their mindset for whatever reason.
Yep. Those that aren't going to check in a deer aren't going to. In today's world, if you don't like telecheck/technology, you can tag and check in the old school way. Or, you can telecheck. Personal preference. No excuse for someone not to. Too easy.

PickettSFHunter

Cheaters cheat. The poachers here just don't check any bucks because they don't want to appear to be limited out or even close. They know not to post their pictures too and really only send those to trusted people through Snapchat. They did this with check stations and have done this with telecheck the same. There is no enforcement so there is no concern over getting caught here. Tag before you drag is helpful to combat this but doesn't matter when there is no enforcement. Laws aren't worth the paper they are written on if no one is making sure they are followed.

Mb423

I think telechecking deer is the least of their concerns when they are already hunting over bait, poaching private land, and spotlighting. Laws are only for law abiding citizens, criminals will do what they want regardless of what laws say.

Flintlocksforme

Today's hunters are different. I grew up thinking a buck is a buck. Every now and then you would get a nice one, but never as nice as the ones you saw at physical check stations when I was a kid. Dad always got all his bucks 11-12 and said that was more fun than just shooting one really big one. ( not wanting a discussion about that here, as that's probably why we never saw any big bucks). Anyway I wonder what it would be like pulling into a check station in TN in 2021 with a couple of yearling bucks and everyone else in line had 2 1/2 and older deer. For some pride might keep you from wanting to check that spike in nowadays. Might be easier online. It shouldn't, but that's now how envy and pride work, both unfavorable qualities to have by the way.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
There are plenty of deer out there. People tend to want to blame their lack of successfully shooting a Trophy Buck on Someone else. Neighbors, Poachers, TWRA, ect ect. If we had this weather 10 or 15 years ago #s would have been down.
Ethic's or lack of is a Learned behavior, Passed on from generation to generation. Stiffer Fines and Penalties is the only way to change that. Take away Guns ,Vehicles and put a dent in the wallet will slow it down.

fairchaser

TWRA is well aware their check in system is not 100%. But, it's much better than the previous system and the man hours collecting data is much less. The data they get online is much more extensive than what was collected at the check stations by the clerk. That efficiency and extra data far exceeds any other considerations.

tnanh

TWRA is well aware their check in system is not 100%. But, it's much better than the previous system and the man hours collecting data is much less. The data they get online is much more extensive than what was collected at the check stations by the clerk. That efficiency and extra data far exceeds any other considerations.
I agree. I hunted not far from Fairchaser in Grand Junction for a lot of years. You were lucky if you could find a clerk who knew how to use the machine.

Latest posts