Etowah poaching

backyardtndeer

Seeing how much corn they stock at Rural King, Walmart, Tractor Supply, etc tells you how many people are baiting
And it is even still going on here in cwd unit. Walmart and tractor supply closest to me stock their deer corn.
I believe a lot of people bait. It's unfortunate because it does give them an advantage on small parcels.
My property is pretty small, and I don't bait. There are larger properties around me, one is 3-4 times the size of mine, and I have seen that property owner with bags of corn in the back of his side by side on the trailer behind his truck as I passed him on our road. What really gets me is that they have ag crops on the other end of that property, but they push over a mile in to hunt on top of me. I just get in earlier than them and let them push deer to me.;)
Maybe @Poleaxe can give an explanation and try to clear all this up ;)
According to his profile page https://www.tndeer.com/members/poleaxe.12090/ , his last activity here was Nov 19, 2023.

HoytDawg

No rabbit hunting is fine because they won't normally come walking by you. I'm talking about dogs running deer I don't care for. Jmo
Hunting anything with a dog is blast. I'd rather run my squirrel/coon dog than about anything, watching what they are capable of is what's fun for me. I've never owned deer dogs, but growing up in MS would tag along with friends from church and it's a blast too. There's alot more strategy/woodsmanship involved than many people think. Next on the list for me is bears in east tn

No rabbit hunting is fine because they won't normally come walking by you. I'm talking about dogs running deer I don't care for. Jmo
People dont run deer with dogs because they cant hunt. Any hound hunting is done because they enjoy the hounds. I have never ran deer. I used to coon hunt years ago and enjoyed the hounds.

7mmWSM

People dont run deer with dogs because they cant hunt. Any hound hunting is done because they enjoy the hounds. I have never ran deer. I used to coon hunt years ago and enjoyed the hounds.
I personally see nothing wrong with hunting small game running dogs. I did it as a kid growing up and have since. In my opinion I think running deer with dogs is a lazy way to do it and those lack the skill to outsmart a deer one on one. If they're running them to hear the hounds then I'm sure they have no problem leaving the guns at home then. I'm glad Tn doesn't allow it even in the CWD areas. jmo

Spurhunter

I put baiting deer up there with running dogs. You either know how to hunt or you don't. If you have to bait them or run them then you're not a hunter in my eyes.
You obviously have no clue about old traditions and reasons people hunt. I used to hunt with a club in Mississippi that ran dogs on the weekends it was open. It was an absolute blast. Those houndsmen didn't give a fat rat's ass about a 140" deer or "outsmarting a deer one on one". They loved the old traditions of the south. Don't knock it til you've tried it. By the way, I can't help but laugh that you think you are outsmarting a deer one on one if you are like most hunters using cell cams, incredible glass mounted on a precision rifle capable of 1" groups at 300 yards, cover scents, grunt calls, doe bleats, electronic rangefinders, and clothing/footwear we couldn't dream of 30 years ago. For the record I'm not against any of that stuff but spare me the judgemental looks of disgust from your high horse. Those houndsmen put in more hours and more work year round than you ever will. Yet, since they don't hunt like you they are lazy. 😅😅😅

7mmWSM

You obviously have no clue about old traditions and reasons people hunt. I used to hunt with a club in Mississippi that ran dogs on the weekends it was open. It was an absolute blast. Those houndsmen didn't give a fat rat's ass about a 140" deer or "outsmarting a deer one on one". They loved the old traditions of the south. Don't knock it til you've tried it. By the way, I can't help but laugh that you think you are outsmarting a deer one on one if you are like most hunters using cell cams, incredible glass mounted on a precision rifle capable of 1" groups at 300 yards, cover scents, grunt calls, doe bleats, electronic rangefinders, and clothing/footwear we couldn't dream of 30 years ago. For the record I'm not against any of that stuff but spare me the judgemental looks of disgust from your high horse. Those houndsmen put in more hours and more work year round than you ever will. Yet, since they don't hunt like you they are lazy. 😅😅😅
You're right I won't never try it. Like I said imo I don't need a dog to move a deer out to me. I think I can read the sign well enough to hunt a buck one on one not a pack of dogs running one out. I guess turning the dogs out and let them run across everyone's property is ok with you? Real woodsmanship there bud.
Why do think Tn don't allow it?

Spurhunter

You're right I won't never try it. Like I said imo I don't need a dog to move a deer out to me. I think I can read the sign well enough to hunt a buck one on one not a pack of dogs running one out. I guess turning the dogs out and let them run across everyone's property is ok with you? Real woodsmanship there bud.
Again, you'll never get it because you weren't exposed to old southern traditions before you formed your opinion. The club I hunted with had 5000 acres leased. Yes, 5 THOUSAND. Those dogs weren't running across "everybody's land". You have convinced me to make you my hero for the day though. Outsmarting a deer from a heated shooting house wearing Sitka clothing while shooting a magnum rifle with a $1000 scope is heroism at it's best. 🤣

7mmWSM

Again, you'll never get it because you weren't exposed to old southern traditions before you formed your opinion. The club I hunted with had 5000 acres leased. Yes, 5 THOUSAND. Those dogs weren't running across "everybody's land". You have convinced me to make you my hero for the day though. Outsmarting a deer from a heated shooting house wearing Sitka clothing while shooting a magnum rifle with a $1000 scope is heroism at it's best. 🤣
Good you finally get it!

Antler Daddy

And it is even still going on here in cwd unit. Walmart and tractor supply closest to me stock their deer corn.

My property is pretty small, and I don't bait. There are larger properties around me, one is 3-4 times the size of mine, and I have seen that property owner with bags of corn in the back of his side by side on the trailer behind his truck as I passed him on our road. What really gets me is that they have ag crops on the other end of that property, but they push over a mile in to hunt on top of me. I just get in earlier than them and let them push deer to me.;)

According to his profile page https://www.tndeer.com/members/poleaxe.12090/ , his last activity here was Nov 19, 2023.
I believe it is still perfectly legal for any homeowner to buy corn and feed deer in their backyards.

backyardtndeer

I believe it is still perfectly legal for any homeowner to buy corn and feed deer in their backyards.
Yeah legal to feed within 100 feet of a residence. There is no house on the property behind me, it is a flood prone river bottom. The other baiter that I am aware of was feeding nowhere near his house. Only reason I know where his bait was at is because the boy that has the farm on the other side of me told where his cows were getting out to get into the corn the baiter was putting out for deer. The baiter, when he first moved here, offered to put feeders(PVC pipe) on my property. I declined, I didn't want him on my property and sure as hell didn't want feeders on my property.

Biggun4214

You would be surprised how much woodsmanship it takes to hunt with dogs. Wheather it's bear, rabbits, even deer. These animals have selected escape routes and don't just run helter skelter when dogs chase them.
One year one of the local bear hunters was under house arrest, he sat at his house and was able to direct the bear hunters to many of the crossings. Just because you know where the animal might cross doesn't mean it's a dead animal. Lots of times the animal may be several minutes even hours ahead of the dogs.
Also many places that allow deer dogging have large tracts that are virtually unhuntable without dogs.
While dog hunting isn't for everyone, there's people that don't bow hunt, people that only use traditional muzzleloaders.
This could be the same argument for fly fishing vs spin fishing vs trolling vs bait fishing. Years ago I actually heard a fisheries biologist say that trolling was just road hunting for fish.

Last edited:

HoytDawg

Those dog hunters and gun hunters. No woodsmanship required with either man. Who needs to be able to shoot 100+ yards to be able to kill a deer?

Latest posts