DD214 All that is needed for the regular concealed carry permit?

lafn96

Going through the process of getting the normal concealed carry permit (not the enhanced). Best I can tell, if you have your DD214 and were honorably discharged; that satisfies the training requirement? I have my Real ID; so I uploaded everything on-line and now I just have to go in for the fingerprints?

Anyone know?

utvolsfan77

Fellows, I ain't going to say you're wrong cause I truly don't know. However, I spent over 24 years on active duty in the infantry before retiring in 2004. When I went to get my carry permit, which is now being called the "enhanced permit", even after showing my DD214, I was required to attend 8 hours of classroom instruction and 8 hours live firing on the local police range. Might be good to double check cause things may have changed since they came up with the stripped down permit.

RobDooley

Fellows, I ain't going to say you're wrong cause I truly don't know. However, I spent over 24 years on active duty in the infantry before retiring in 2004. When I went to get my carry permit, which is now being called the "enhanced permit", even after showing my DD214, I was required to attend 8 hours of classroom instruction and 8 hours live firing on the local police range. Might be good to double check cause things may have changed since they came up with the stripped down permit.
I was required to do the same. It was before 2004, in the early nineties.

Rabbitkil

Seems simple enough
E7AB6827-FFB3-4333-BD0B-EC186FA41F83.jpeg

Omega

Same here, but there was also a way to just have a memo from the commander saying you took Basic Rifle Marksmanship and that would suffice for the training. I opted for a class from a lawyer certified to give the training, figured it couldn't hurt to get the civilian side of things.

DaveTN

You had to go through training because you have an ENHANCED permit. And still would. I think military or LEO has a waiver, but its only for maybe 5 years from discharge or training.

He's asking about the new concealed permit.

lafn96

Got the approval notification email yesterday, but it says E-HCP. From everything I can see online, that is the enhanced handgun carry permit. I didn't put in for that, but if that's what they're sending me fantastic!

Omega

DaveTN

Not in TN, there is a law which protects you in cases of legitimate self defense.
TENNESSEE PASSES SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT TO CIVIL IMMUNITY FOR THOSE RESORTING TO SELF-DEFENSE
That's a great addition to the existing law we had. In the past someone could file a civil suit if there was no action by the DA or the courts on a shooting. The DA or courts didn't typically rule a case "Self Defense", they just didn't prosecute. This will give the accused an opportunity to get that ruling by the court prior to a civil action.

Specializedjon

The online version for your "regular" CWP doesn't require a class and live fire. The enhanced does, which allows you to open carry in certain circumstances if that's important to you. I don't recommend open carrying but that's a separate conversation. I'd recommend getting the enhanced CWP if you're gonna go through the process anyway. Fingerprinting is $60 bucks now and then you'll have to go to DMV or the county, whatever licensing is in your area to get your photo and turn in your paperwork. I agree with @Swampster, the law / liability training is worth attending a class. Too many dingbats running around out there that don't know what the laws are (not saying you're one of them). I teach the class if you're interested. PM me and we can talk more.

Specializedjon

Got the approval notification email yesterday, but it says E-HCP. From everything I can see online, that is the enhanced handgun carry permit. I didn't put in for that, but if that's what they're sending me fantastic!
The "regular" CWP is now the enhanced. I just remembered they changed that last year I believe.

PM me even if you just want to chat gun law and what to do and say, who to call, who not to call, what to say to LE when contacted, etc. It's important to know this stuff and have it engrained in your brain in the event something happens and you need to use your firearm to defend yourself. You can get yourself in a pickle quickly by saying the wrong thing on the phone to 911 and especially the cops when they show up. (I'm a former LEO, not bashing cops)

WestTN2288

The "regular" CWP is now the enhanced. I just remembered they changed that last year I believe.

PM me even if you just want to chat gun law and what to do and say, who to call, who not to call, what to say to LE when contacted, etc. It's important to know this stuff and have it engrained in your brain in the event something happens and you need to use your firearm to defend yourself. You can get yourself in a pickle quickly by saying the wrong thing on the phone to 911 and especially the cops when they show up. (I'm a former LEO, not bashing cops)
Where are you located?

WTM

Same here, but there was also a way to just have a memo from the commander saying you took Basic Rifle Marksmanship and that would suffice for the training. I opted for a class from a lawyer certified to give the training, figured it couldn't hurt to get the civilian side of things.
there used to be an exception if you were combat pistol qualified. BRM didnt count.

Latest posts