When is the hunt over?

fairchaser

When is your hunt on that bird over for the morning?

This morning I moved in on a bird gobbling from the roost. It was a a strip of woods and I eased into the woods 100 yds from the gobbling lethario. However, some of his ladies were perched over my ambush. They began clucking and he shut up. Eventually, they flew down as well as he. He never said another word. I hung out for 20 minutes and left to pursue another bird.

Did I quit too soon? Did I miss an opportunity? I've always stopped after the jig was up.

megalomaniac

Personally, if I don't know of another bird, I'm not leaving the area unless I bump the bird. And even then, I'm taking a break for a couple hours and going to try to work him again from a different location later on.

Now if I know of another bird at different location, I'm bailing on the 1st as soon as the ladies are leading him away. Many birds are just unkillable in certain situations without bushwhacking them, and I'd rather leave them be and check them again in a day or two.

If I'm blind in a new area with no gobbles or turkey sign, I'm covering ground as fast as possible until I find sign or strike a bird until real life forces me to leave. But I'm a turkey optimist, and I keep thinking I will strike a bird if I just go another 250 yards.

bowhunterfanatic

When is your hunt on that bird over for the morning?

This morning I moved in on a bird gobbling from the roost. It was a a strip of woods and I eased into the woods 100 yds from the gobbling lethario. However, some of his ladies were perched over my ambush. They began clucking and he shut up. Eventually, they flew down as well as he. He never said another word. I hung out for 20 minutes and left to pursue another bird.

Did I quit too soon? Did I miss an opportunity? I've always stopped after the jig was up.
I have 0 patience. I would have done the same thing as you. Sometimes I'll come back to my original starting spot a couple hours later and try it again

Gravey

I'll try to hang in there as long as I know he's still there. Fortunately I have room to roam so if he gets quiet and another bird fires up I may leave to pursue that one. Usually by the time I get to the second bird he goes quiet and the first one starts back up. 🤪 If I do leave I may try to come back midmorning hoping his ladies have gone to the nest and he's out looking for love again.

tickweed

Ive bumped many on the roost. If still mostly dark, l get still, call softly, very little, calm them down. Now, if they are on the ground, gobbler bust me, let him go. Do not call. I give him an hour, circle way ahead of him before l reset.

timberjack86

20240427_094410.jpg

Shag

I've found myself in similar situations a bunch of times. Get where I think I want to be to set up on a bird gobbling on the roost, only to be under his hens. I've been successful just walking past them and closer to the Tom….puts me between him and who he already wants to be with. I've also tried that and spooked everything! 😂 Really depended on the situation, how thick it is and topography.

megalomaniac

For me... its just about to be over. Season closes May 1st, but today is the last day I can hunt.

On National Forest, somebody left a present at the parking spot... but despite that, I'm on a hard gobbling bird on the limb. He gobbled 15x as I made my approach to 200y, got set, but he has gone silent past 30min. Really.dont think I spooked him, but gonna wait him out till he comes in or gobbles again to let me know where's he's headed so I can reposition.

As far as the 'gobbled out' folks who complain about late season... im so far south we already have hatched out poults on the ground... yet I'm still on a gobbling turkey on hard pressured public. Now granted, this is the first bird I've heard in 3 weeks, but that's mostly a function of low population and most are dead already

Can't complain about MS 2024...killed 1 bird, passed up 2 others I didn't call in, and been on 3 or 4 others on public. Now granted, I hunted 31 days and covered 137 miles on foot, but I had some great experiences with hard gobbling turkeys, some right in my face.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240428_063939_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240428_063939_Gallery.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 11

fairchaser

I heard one gobble 3 times from the roost. Set up 150 yds away and heard nothing. I fear turkey season is quickly turning into bushwhack season! I'm still in the woods hunting for now. It's great to be in God's creation.

timberjack86

I heard one gobble 3 times from the roost. Set up 150 yds away and heard nothing. I fear turkey season is quickly turning into bushwhack season! I'm still in the woods hunting for now. It's great to be in God's creation.
I haven't heard anything this morning, winds blowing pretty good. Just picked out a place that looks like a turkey would like to die at lol. Gonna sit and call for awhile in hopes that one can hear me. Best strategy I've found on breezy days.

prstide

Patience kills more turkeys than anything else. He has a hen—try to call softly and see if you can get her help leading him your way.

fairchaser

I haven't heard anything this morning, winds blowing pretty good. Just picked out a place that looks like a turkey would like to die at lol. Gonna sit and call for awhile in hopes that one can hear me. Best strategy I've found on breezy days.
I'm sitting and doing the same thing. Looking and hoping. I can't or won't sit more than 30 minutes. Otherwise, it's deer hunting for turkeys.

megalomaniac

I'm sitting and doing the same thing. Looking and hoping. I can't or won't sit more than 30 minutes. Otherwise, it's deer hunting for turkeys.
I used to think the same thing... but its totally different when you KNOW there is a bird close that has shut up. THOSE are the birds you want to stick with and call to periodically if they aren't spooked. Many times they will fire back up after an hour or two.

I'm still sitting on this public bird here in MS. He hasn't gobbled in 1h 15min, but I know he is close. I also know (as an eternal turkey optimist) he is going to fire back up and give me tachycardia later this morning.

30-06 type of guy

Trying to get a guy on a bird now. We setup on a point about 75 yards from him on roost. He gobbled about 3-4 times on his own then a few at a crow. He pitched down towards the river bottom and hasn't said a word. We looped him and got down here so we'll see if he comes in. Still heavy winds tho

Latest posts