Glock Carry FMJ vs. JHP

KPGman710

I carry a Glock30 with FMJ 165gr Federal. I've read that JHP would probably be an overkill for .45 and its not needed for stopping power. Yet, I also see JHP are more effective and I'm considering switching over to JHP. What do you think about carrying a Glock .45 with JHP as to FMJ? Recommonded or not? And whats with .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) ammo? Should I be buying GAP ammo? Whats the difference in recoil (if any)? Thanx

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Glock 30 is 45acp. 45 GAP is a different round, shorter and uses a small pistol prime is for pistols chambered for it.

Union Co. Boy

I always carry hollow points. I don't like the idea of over penetration associated with FMJ's in the event that I have to use it in a public place. I also like the energy transfer from the expansion of a hollow point to help eliminate any threat ASAP.

rifle02

I would recommend some sort of hollow point or expanding bullet. You have to try them first in your pistol to see that it will feed reliably. Different expanding bullets feed good in some pistols not so good in others. It may take trial and error to find the correct bullet.

DaveTN

I carry a Glock30 with FMJ 165gr Federal. I've read that JHP would probably be an overkill for .45 and its not needed for stopping power.
You can read anything on the internet. Whoever wrote that was clueless and didn't pay attention in physics class. JHP is absolutely the best choice for self defense rounds.

Madbowh

I carry a Glock30 with FMJ 165gr Federal. I've read that JHP would probably be an overkill for .45 and its not needed for stopping power. Yet, I also see JHP are more effective and I'm considering switching over to JHP. What do you think about carrying a Glock .45 with JHP as to FMJ? Recommonded or not? And whats with .45 GAP (Glock Automatic Pistol) ammo? Should I be buying GAP ammo? Whats the difference in recoil (if any)? Thanx
It's been a long time since I got my concealed carry, but I think I remember you are not allowed to carry fmj. Why in the world would anyone want to do that anyway you are responsible for that round and most likely fmj will exit a body.

I see so much controversy over bullets for self defense. I don't care what caliber or round that anyone thinks is not good enough let me try it on you and tell me what you think. My mom carries a .22 I laugh at her but I also would not want her to shoot me with it. Get what feeds in your gun the best.

I think to many over think it all, if I am squeezing I'm aiming...if I'm aiming I'm squeezing... and if I am I'm really close to you and I will hit my mark so go for the window not the door.

DaveTN

It's been a long time since I got my concealed carry, but I think I remember you are not allowed to carry fmj. Why in the world would anyone want to do that anyway you are responsible for that round and most likely fmj will exit a body.

I see so much controversy over bullets for self defense. I don't care what caliber or round that anyone thinks is not good enough let me try it on you and tell me what you think. My mom carries a .22 I laugh at her but I also would not want her to shoot me with it. Get what feeds in your gun the best.

I think to many over think it all, if I am squeezing I'm aiming...if I'm aiming I'm squeezing... and if I am I'm really close to you and I will hit my mark so go for the window not the door.
We have no limitations on what we can carry. I wouldn't carry FMJ for several reasons, but if someone wants to carry it they can. It's usually the cheapest thing you will find on the shelf and so I'm sure its pretty common.

Specializedjon

Agree with the Hollow point crowd. Pass through would be my concern with FMJ's and I'm not expecting to have to shoot through doors or structures in a defensive situation. It'll all be over in less than 5 seconds.

Any other scenario you're in a gun fight, which ammo you're using will be the least of your worries.

Just my $.02

Latest posts