Carry Law in Tennessee.

DaveTN

But learn the laws.
Absolutely. It's okay to ask questions about any law on the internet, but I can assure you, some of them are open to interpretation by the Officer or DA. You should read the actual law. You will be the one held responsible regardless of what anyone tells you.

My experience has shown me that young people especially don't get the proper information they need. They take what parents, teachers, and peers say as being correct when too often it is way off base. When they hear dumb azz statements like "The Police can't search your car without a warrant." They may believe that and react in a dumb azz way that ends with them in jail and a record that could impact their career before it ever gets started.

Smells Like Sulfur

Where can you get the laws at
Most states have entire digital copies of their legal code available online. Here's a place to start, although it's not completely updated.

You can also usually Google the specific code you're looking for. A google search for "Tennessee laws firearm open carry" will yield some actual case law.

Smells Like Sulfur

Remember too that a lot of crimes have the qualifier of "knowingly and intentionally". I've learned that if you can prove that you did research; called the sheriff's department, looked up case law online, etc, that it is a somewhat valid legal defense, because you did not knowingly commit a crime, especially if you have a record of calling the sheriff's department and them telling you that it was okay.

That doesn't usually work for serious criminal charges, but for petty stuff like traffic laws it can actually be very effective, I've seen people walk away from charges because they were able to show that on the county's website the information was incorrect, or were told something incorrect by an officer.

I was in court once for a minor traffic infraction, one of the people who saw the judge before me was arrested / ticketed for panhandling. He was able to pull up the county website and show where panhandling was not a crime. Unfortunately for the court, the legal code had had been updated since, but the county's website never bothered to update the new codes and he was able to beat the infraction based off of the fact he checked the laws on the county's website. He walked out with no charges or fines.

However, saying that someone on a forum told you it was legal is not a valid defense whatsoever.

DaveTN

When asked by friends or family, or commenting on a forum, I usually try to point out, not necessarily how to beat a charge in court, but more importantly how to not end up in court.

As we all know, we have had some very good discussions on this forum about various laws and procedures. And as we also know we have had some comments on the law that are blatantly false.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If I could do any type of public service in my old age it would be helping young people understand the law that can impact their future. Some parents are good at that; too many are not, and the kids pay the price. I know that because I have been the guy impacting their future over lies their parents, teachers or friends have told them.

Smells Like Sulfur

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. If I could do any type of public service in my old age it would be helping young people understand the law that can impact their future. Some parents are good at that; too many are not, and the kids pay the price. I know that because I have been the guy impacting their future over lies their parents, teachers or friends have told them.
YES! I couldn't agree more.

I was arrested once for just being in the car with someone who had committed a relatively serious felony. I had no idea what he had just done, and I thought I was just giving my friend a ride.

I ended up being charged with multiple felonies, although they were later dropped in court and I pled down to a misdemeanor. I spent two years in a county jail, and spent about 40K on a lawyer, all for hanging out with the wrong person at the wrong time.

Wooden Arrow

you have the "constitutional concealed carry", with no carry permit required. last i heard, to carry openly you needed an "enhanced" carry permit, which at that time was $100. carrying concealed is free... not sure why open carry costs more than concealed. maybe to discourage the practice so as to not alarm folks .

Latest posts