Glock Carry FMJ vs. JHP

ScLowCountry

Most fmj ammo has difficulty expanding at 45 acp velocities. Most HP will not expand and function like an fmj. So with that being said fmj ammo is just as good in most cases

ScLowCountry

Ooops lol. Most hollow point projectiles have difficulty expanding at 45 ACP velocities. The 45 ACP is a low velocity round and hollow points have difficulty expanding at such low velocities.

Hollow points in 45 ACP end up functioning just like an FMJ. So for the most part it is wasting money buying hollow points for a 45 ACP especially out of a handgun.

TnTurk

Law enforcement carry hollow points. I strongly suggest you do the same. Hollow points expand which results in less penetration. FMJ will have more penetration and likely exit. You are just as responsible for that bullet after it exits as you are when you pull the trigger.

Wiley

All of my 45ACP hollow point ammo is Winchester Ranger T 230gr. August 2008 was a very good time to stock up before the November election that put the illegal Kenyan in the WH. For those that don't know, Winchester Ranger T has the Black Talon bullet without the black coating so they don't offend the daisies out there. And they do open up like a beautiful flower when they expand.

Mattt

Personally don't have a problem either way. Both have their place. All those years handloading never saw an issue with a hollow point doing it's job in the acp. They were designed for it. Load it hot and there could be adverse results as the bullet wasn't being used as intended. I can also see the need for increased penetration in urban settings, but the acp doesn't like windshields. Haven't shot any newer vehicles but I'm pretty sure they're gonna be easier to penetrate. 45acp had difficulty punching through the door of an old car that was in the woods at a place we used to shoot. I'd say mid 70s some kind of Pontiac. 9 and .40 poke right thru. 1911s were and will always be my favorite but in town I'd probably lean towards a 9 for increased penetration

Latest posts