coyote night hunting

Crappie Hunter

Obviously, this has some sort of political tie as does everything these days. Only excuses as to why it's a bad idea, instead of the benefits to the eco system of removing coyotes being discussed.
I got an idea, how about taking the money from the license increases and apply that to what it would take to legalize night hunting for coyotes.
JMO

diamond hunter

I have noidea why the state doesn't do jumping jacks every time they hear about a coyote being killed. They should encourage it,and embrace it,instead they make it harder to do so.Bait,lights at night and trapping should be ENCOURAGED not discouraged to thin these pesky animals.Especially on private land .

deerchaser007

Fully agree that night hunting should be allowed for these mangy sticking things, and it ticks me off they wanna raise my license fee but ignore what hunters want! Only thing that ticks me off more is I can't shoot a bobcat during turkey season! If I am set up, and a freaking bobcat stalks up to my deks or my calling, I should legally be able to take it out. The coyotes and the bobcats are absolutely destroying our turkey population and fawn recruitment!

7mm08

IF I was a poacher, the last thing I would be doing is going onto private land at night knowing that the landowner might be hunting coyotes! Therefore .....less poaching and less calls to TWRA.

Atchman2

Most states want coyote (and hog numbers) to go down. They both have a negative impact on the deer and turkey population. Trying to hunt them when they aren't active is pretty fruitless sometimes. I mean you can hunt coyotes all year around, but it would be FAR easier to call them when they are active instead of trying to wake them up.

7wsm

JUST SELL A PERMIT TO HUNT COYOTE AT NIGHT AND FORGET ABOUT RAISING OUR OTHER LICENSE .WE HAVE TO HAVE ONE FOR EVERYTHING ELSE WHY NOT THIS.

scn

TWRA's track record of giving sportsmen what they want is pretty darn good. However, if there are biological or safety concerns, those tend to influence the decisions.

But, the public has the option of attending the commission meetings and convincing the commission on any regulation since they set the regs and TWRA does not.

Planking

Im with everyone else on this. I don't see the safety concern difference between shot gunning yotes and coon/hog hunting. What are the biological concerns hunting an invasive species?

scn

Planking":euam08g4 said:
Im with everyone else on this. I don't see the safety concern difference between shot gunning yotes and coon/hog hunting. What are the biological concerns hunting an invasive species?

There are no biological concerns at all for the yotes. I was speaking in generalities and process with my above post.

There would be major safety and law enforcement concerns for any rifle yote hunting at night.

TheRealSpurhunter

I believe its time to allow it with shotguns at night for sure.
It is certainly not more dangerous than coon hunting, and probably safer honestly since your not RUNNING around with loaded guns in the dark.

scn

TheRealSpurhunter":h8qbasu8 said:
I believe its time to allow it with shotguns at night for sure.
It is certainly not more dangerous than coon hunting, and probably safer honestly since your not RUNNING around with loaded guns in the dark.

I, personally, have no problems with yote hunting at night with shotguns and the current shot size. There are just way too many issues with the rifles, including rimfire.

jlmustain

scn":15f3cxho said:
dovahkiin said:
Or not, have no idea why twra would oppose this so hard. To protect coyotes? Almost to the point of them being rude. Oh well, nevermind gents.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be rude. The TWRA forum is set up to answer questions and is not set up for discussion and debate.

There are a lot of law enforcement and safety concerns that I suspect will continue to keep TWRA from supporting night time coyote hunting. The killing of a US Forest Service officer in GA a couple of years ago in a night coyote hunting accident highlights some of the safety issues. It has NOTHING to do with wanting to protect coyotes.

I don't know the details, but it makes sense to me that that was a freak accident or that that officer wasn't being very cautious.

The safety thing is a stupid crutch. If that were really the issue, there wouldn't be night-time coon hunting allowed.

Wildcat

The "safety" thing to me is it's much more dangerous to hunt at night WITHOUT lights.

There are some states that allow night hunting but NO lights so they hunt in the moon light.

Hunters using lights to spot and shoot coyotes can bee seen for a mile away in the winter open fields and open woods, anybody driving the highways can spot the lights working a set and can pin point where the hunters are. Anybody walking up to the hunters shining his light himself let the hunters know there is another human being there and not an animal.

In the daytime in full camo you will NEVER spot the hunters if they are trying their best to hide from coyotes and have their player 50 to 75 yards away. Same thing if someone was to walk up behind them also dressed up in camo or cloths than bend in without calling to them letting them know someone is there.

The lights I use are powerfull enough for my needs but there are some new lights out there where people out west use them to take a 300 yard shot at night. I don't recommend that but it's allowed in some states.

Now NV gear is a different ball game, there is NO light for other people to see.

scn

calledin":1uiwjwxh said:

My guess is that it faces an uphill battle of passing unless some folks attend the Commission meetings in April and May and lobby for it. Since I am now a hunter rather than TWRA employee, I sent it in as a recommendation. But, unless there is a lot of support, I am not optimistic.

fishboy1

scn":1f2cdw6v said:
calledin":1f2cdw6v said:

My guess is that it faces an uphill battle of passing unless some folks attend the Commission meetings in April and May and lobby for it. Since I am now a hunter rather than TWRA employee, I sent it in as a recommendation. But, unless there is a lot of support, I am not optimistic.

SCN knows what he is talking about.
Throwing ideas around on a website will have zero effect. Sending in a random recommendation will likely have little effect.

Now get a dozen or so guys together to make phone calls, schedule face to face meetings, have your documentation together and your position down tight, and you are starting to get some traction. Get those same dozen guys to show up with friends at a commission meeting to push for the change and you WILL get noticed. Not saying you will get your way, but you will have an impact. Be persistent, polite, and on top of your game and you have a good chance of getting REASONABLE changed passed.

scn

fishboy1":18louo2v said:
scn":18louo2v said:
calledin":18louo2v said:

SCN knows what he is talking about.
Throwing ideas around on a website will have zero effect. Sending in a random recommendation will likely have little effect.

Now get a dozen or so guys together to make phone calls, schedule face to face meetings, have your documentation together and your position down tight, and you are starting to get some traction. Get those same dozen guys to show up with friends at a commission meeting to push for the change and you WILL get noticed. Not saying you will get your way, but you will have an impact. Be persistent, polite, and on top of your game and you have a good chance of getting REASONABLE changed passed.

Very well said, David.