Best WMA's in Middle Tennessee for coyote hunting?

SouthernWino

Hello all. I'm new to the site and have been looking around for the last few weeks. I found an old thread addressing my question, but wanted to throw it out to you again. I'm new to the state and haven't done any hunting here yet. I know I'll need a small game license and that there are some restrictions on weapons depending on the particular hunting season.

I'm looking to hunt coyotes, but don't have any land of my own, or friends with hunting land, so I'll need to hunt on a WMA. Any thoughts on the best ones in the middle Tennessee are for hunting song dogs? I'd also be interested in joining a hunting club/lease if there's a way to do it with a discounted membership since I wouldn't be taking any deer or other game.

SouthernWino

If you were willing to drive to Lexington, TN I would let you hunt on my 416 acre lease that is loaded with them. You'll probably find somewhere closer though.
Thanks! I'll keep you in mind if I can't get anything a bit closer. I'm not a deer hunter any longer, but sure do want to take some Yotes and help out all the deer hunters I can.

SouthernWino

You will need a wma small game permit also if hunting a wma
Yep, I'll be getting my permit this week. I just have to figure out the nuisances of what rifle I can carry when. I have a .223 and looking to pick up a rimfire .17HMR soon. It seems there are certain times when you can only carry a rimfire to hunt on WMA's here in TN.

mike243

A sportsman License is good for a year from purchase, you could use the 223 during deer season even if you don't want to shoot a deer, coarse it covers a lot of other stuff also, good luck hate yotes and never pass a shot up at them.

TboneD

If you're in Murfreesboro I wouldn't overlook Percy Priest WMA and Cedars of Lebanon State Forest. You'll need a free permit for the Natural Area west of Hwy 231 that you can get from the Cedars of Lebanon State Park office. No TWRA WMA permit required like for Priest WMA, though. On Priest you're limited to shotgun and rimfire but I'm pretty sure you can use your .223 year round in Cedar Forest and the adjacent Natural Area. Just realize you can't use it anywhere in TN between half hr after sunset and half hr before sunrise.

SouthernWino

If you're in Murfreesboro I wouldn't overlook Percy Priest WMA and Cedars of Lebanon State Forest. You'll need a free permit for the Natural Area west of Hwy 231 that you can get from the Cedars of Lebanon State Park office. No TWRA WMA permit required like for Priest WMA, though. On Priest you're limited to shotgun and rimfire but I'm pretty sure you can use your .223 year round in Cedar Forest and the adjacent Natural Area. Just realize you can't use it anywhere in TN between half hr after sunset and half hr before sunrise.
These rules are why I'm considering getting a .17HMR or .22 MAG

Latest posts