Coyote Mounted Light!

Wrangler95

What is a good scope mounted light that will shine a good distance?I have looked at some Foxpro lights than run around 200.00 dollars and up.Got any suggestions?

Atchman2

Dang when you spend a lot on lights, you are almost at the low end of Nightvision. I have Predator Hunting Lights that I use that can see a long way. I bought them at Allpredatorcalls.com. I don't have them here anymore. My brother in law was having coyote problems around his calves in Kansas so I let him have them.

If you are predator hunting, it doesn't take much to see them coming as their eyes give them away way before you can shoot them. I've never seen one react to a green light. That includes shooting hogs with them. I have a much shorter ranged light that I use for Hog Hunting that is mounted on my .450 Bushmaster. I'm afraid of the recoil ruining my Nightvision stuff.

Wildcat

The coyote "mounted" light is your shooting light, not your searchlight.

Get a good light you wear on your head and search with that. Make sure it is white, red, and green. I use the red most of the time. You see the "eyes" a long way off then bring the gun up to where he's coming. Once in range hit the shooting light and fire.

Like said there are good lights on All Predator Calls.

Get cheap stuff and you end up not liking what they do. Like duck hunting, it costs. When Kentucky first came out with night hunting with shotguns I already had my turkey shotgun. I ordered a new caller, lights, folding seats, new chokes, and shooting sticks. Spend over $2,000. The ammo I used is Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot. Today those things cost $85 a box of ten.

As soon as KY allowed rifle at night I quit the shotgun hunting and went thermal. Still, use my search lights.

Wrangler95

The coyote "mounted" light is your shooting light, not your searchlight.

Get a good light you wear on your head and search with that. Make sure it is white, red, and green. I use the red most of the time. You see the "eyes" a long way off then bring the gun up to where he's coming. Once in range hit the shooting light and fire.

Like said there are good lights on All Predator Calls.

Get cheap stuff and you end up not liking what they do. Like duck hunting, it costs. When Kentucky first came out with night hunting with shotguns I already had my turkey shotgun. I ordered a new caller, lights, folding seats, new chokes, and shooting sticks. Spend over $2,000. The ammo I used is Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot. Today those things cost $85 a box of ten.

As soon as KY allowed rifle at night I quit the shotgun hunting and went thermal. Still, use my search lights.
Thanks for the advice,Ive never hunted coyotes at night but have coyote a pretty longtime in day with my 25-06 and 223!

Wildcat

Thanks for the advice,Ive never hunted coyotes at night but have coyote a pretty longtime in day with my 25-06 and 223!
You should not have a problem at all. It's different and fun. Just remember you have to get them CLOSE!! Play the wind at all times. Heck, I've even used my ladder stands with my caller on the ground and was able to take them. Even drove a tractor out there, set my caller out, and hunted next to that, they know the tractor smells like human and are used to it being left out in the field. Same thing with a barn or other places humans are around part of the day, I set up just outside a hay shed.

Wrangler95

You should not have a problem at all. It's different and fun. Just remember you have to get them CLOSE!! Play the wind at all times. Heck, I've even used my ladder stands with my caller on the ground and was able to take them. Even drove a tractor out there, set my caller out, and hunted next to that, they know the tractor smells like human and are used to it being left out in the field. Same thing with a barn or other places humans are around part of the day, I set up just outside a hay shed.
When you hunted at night with your shotgun did you get many in close enough to kill with a shotgun?I just dont know if its worth spending much money on good equipment if you dont have much luck getting them in shotgun range.I just wish in Tennessee you could use a rifle at night like Kentucky!

Wildcat

When you hunted at night with your shotgun did you get many in close enough to kill with a shotgun?I just dont know if its worth spending much money on good equipment if you dont have much luck getting them in shotgun range.I just wish in Tennessee you could use a rifle at night like Kentucky!
The truth is no. There were not many of them coming in that close. But to me it was fun. I understand not wanting to spend too much. I hunted both day and night.

I had been wanting a new caller and shooting sticks for a while so that was my excuse to get them.

Something to remember. If you don't have enough different farms to hunt on then it's not worth it at all. I have several different "family" farms that I can hunt from. Plus in the daytime, I have all the land in LBL to hunt and a couple of small WMAs. If you overhunt them you can forget it. Plus the coyotes here in my back field take 2 weeks to make their rounds. I get to the point I know where they will be on what days.

Wrangler95

The truth is no. There were not many of them coming in that close. But to me it was fun. I understand not wanting to spend too much. I hunted both day and night.

I had been wanting a new caller and shooting sticks for a while so that was my excuse to get them.

Something to remember. If you don't have enough different farms to hunt on then it's not worth it at all. I have several different "family" farms that I can hunt from. Plus in the daytime, I have all the land in LBL to hunt and a couple of small WMAs. If you overhunt them you can forget it. Plus the coyotes here in my back field take 2 weeks to make their rounds. I get to the point I know where they will be on what days.
Thanks,I have a good number of farms to hunt but Im not the only hunter on them! I think I will pass on the night hunting with a shotgun,just trusted your word on it because I know you have predator hunted a longtime.I will just stick it out hunting daytime with a rifle!

Wildcat

Go ahead and try it a few times with what you have. You will have fun but not too many "kills". For me Jan and Feb were the best times. Open cut fields, no leaves on the trees, etc

The biggest problem trying to get them into close range is they almost always are trying to get downwind of the caller, most times they circle long and wide picking you up. Getting them between you and the caller for a close shot is hard.

mike243

They should have let it include rimfire, I would carry my 22 mag if I wanted to hunt, no interest in it at this point. even the 17 cal would have give some more yardage, plenty of hp at 100y to take them out,

Mattt

Ok. So go buy a cheap set of scope rings. Mount them on an existing rifle/scope upside down. Take handheld light of your choice and zip tie it on top of the rings. Will be effective to about 150yds at night. Better light better range. Example, vx2 3/9-40, tasco rings upside down and old school 4c mag light zip tied on top. Switch mounted 90 degrees left. Perfect position for thumb operation while holding forearm.

Latest posts