Shed Hunter

I thought the shadow on the tree in this picture from a few days ago was cool

Attachments

• 556059FD-A14F-41A6-A5CD-B21368061289.png
    556059FD-A14F-41A6-A5CD-B21368061289.png
    584.3 KB · Views: 76

BSK

Awesome pictures Shed Hunter!

As for "junk" stuck in antlers, until recently I had only seen that a few times. But in the last couple of years, I've gotten it on cam quite a few times.

One of the questions biologists have been trying to answer is, does antler size play any role in which buck a doe chooses to mate with? In essence, is there any "mate selection" from the doe's perspective, and is antler size one of the criteria she uses to choose? The data from such studies has been a bit contradictory. Some studies with penned deer suggest does might select a mate from larger antlered bucks. However, free-range studies (which bucks are siring the most offspring) suggest otherwise, as the most prolific breeder bucks often have average o below average antlers.

But when sitting around having beers, discussing their observations, one thing most biologists will agree on is bucks seem to be in no hurry to get rid of "junk" stuck in their antlers. Perhaps it is because they believe it makes them look larger and more impressive to does. I don't want to anthropomorphize deer too much, but I swear the videos I have of bucks with branches and vines stuck in their antler is that they seem really "proud" of it. They seem to be strutting around showing off their new "bigger" antlers.

JCDEERMAN

Awesome pictures Shed Hunter!

As for "junk" stuck in antlers, until recently I had only seen that a few times. But in the last couple of years, I've gotten it on cam quite a few times.

One of the questions biologists have been trying to answer is, does antler size play any role in which buck a doe chooses to mate with? In essence, is there any "mate selection" from the doe's perspective, and is antler size one of the criteria she uses to choose? The data from such studies has been a bit contradictory. Some studies with penned deer suggest does might select a mate from larger antlered bucks. However, free-range studies (which bucks are siring the most offspring) suggest otherwise, as the most prolific breeder bucks often have average o below average antlers.

But when sitting around having beers, discussing their observations, one thing most biologists will agree on is bucks seem to be in no hurry to get rid of "junk" stuck in their antlers. Perhaps it is because they believe it makes them look larger and more impressive to does. I don't want to anthropomorphize deer too much, but I swear the videos I have of bucks with branches and vines stuck in their antler is that they seem really "proud" of it. They seem to be strutting around showing off their new "bigger" antlers.
Very interesting.

The study I saw and may be the one you're referring to is the one from Mississippi State University. They do some cool stuff there

BSK

Very interesting.

The study I saw and may be the one you're referring to is the one from Mississippi State University. They do some cool stuff there
The three top universities for penned deer studies are: UGA, Miss St. and Auburn.

At least for southeastern deer. Several universities do cool studies on Texas deer, but that's a whole different world.

Latest posts