Controversial statement about fishing

Sako

My wife wouldn't eat fish for years
Finally got her to try it and now she actually asks for it.
Her and my best friend agree with me in order of preference
Bream
Bass
Crappie

A filleted crappie is pretty much tasteless to me.

I would actually put catfish between bass and crappie also.

With that being said I can't fish where there are walleye and sauger with any regularity.
Sauger is the best freshwater fish I have ever had.
I agree with the tasteless part of a filet crappie... That maybe why so many people either do or do not like it.. I actually like the taste of fish and when it tastes like nothing (like the crappie) I have no use for it... However, I can put a hurting on bream, catfish and bass...

Sako

id prolly rank them, walley/jack salmon, shellcracker, bluegill, yellow bass, spotted bass, crappie, white bass, small lmb, fiddler flatheads, fiddler white cats, gasper goos, silver carp, and spotted cats. ive eaten gar but did not care for it. id rank trout between canned jack mackeral and dog shat.
Now that is some detail...

Omega

id prolly rank them, walley/jack salmon, shellcracker, bluegill, yellow bass, spotted bass, crappie, white bass, small lmb, fiddler flatheads, fiddler white cats, gasper goos, silver carp, and spotted cats. ive eaten gar but did not care for it. id rank trout between canned jack mackeral and dog shat.
Wow, I don't know where you got your trout from; the Cumberland in Nashville? Best trout I had was in the northern part of Japan, fried until the tail could be eaten, but Colorado trout, all varieties, could rank right up there, specially when cooked right on the banks of the Colorado river.

Crow Terminator

I with some of yall on trout. Nasty. I've had it fried, grilled, blackened, baked. Fried in Crisco, bacon grease, peanut oil, etc. Wrapped in foil with butter in the cavity...all the ways everybody swears by, and I'd rather eat fried spam. Love fishing for them though...wade fishing is one of my favorite things to do but I'm solely a C&R guy on those things now days.

Crappie...I love to eat them but only while the water is 55 degrees and under. Once it's above that, it's C&R time. As stated, the flesh gets mushy and freezing it doesn't help. I like it fresh...never frozen.

atnvol

I do like Crappie but they must be caught in January or February and then the filet is firm. Crappie gets softer as the water warms. I like some species of catfish(blue) and detest other species. Walleye is definitely my fav. I have been told that a fat yellow perch is mighty good.

Sako

I haven't seen anyone mention White Bass... I have some in the freezer, and they're purty danged good pan fried. Bass and bluegill rank up at the top of my list. Trout, not so much. It always seemed a bit chalky to me.
I do like White bass as well...

WTM

Wow, I don't know where you got your trout from; the Cumberland in Nashville? Best trout I had was in the northern part of Japan, fried until the tail could be eaten, but Colorado trout, all varieties, could rank right up there, specially when cooked right on the banks of the Colorado river.
gatlinburg, farmed or stocked trout i forget. grilled whole. too fishy, tasted like jack mackeral. i just cant handle salmony tasting fish.

Omega

gatlinburg, farmed or stocked trout i forget. grilled whole. too fishy, tasted like jack mackeral. i just cant handle salmony tasting fish.
Hmm, not sure I would say trout tastes like salmon, except maybe the steelhead which is actually a salmon though still don't think so. But yea, I would guess trout has a flavor which some may not like. Myself, it's large fish, like catfish and bass that lose a lot of flavor when they get too big. Black sea bass is actually pretty good, as are most saltwater fish, even when they are a bit on the large size, but I think it's the salt that does it. With freshwater I actually like my fish in the 10-12" range, if they could be kept legally.

WTM

Hmm, not sure I would say trout tastes like salmon, except maybe the steelhead which is actually a salmon though still don't think so. But yea, I would guess trout has a flavor which some may not like. Myself, it's large fish, like catfish and bass that lose a lot of flavor when they get too big. Black sea bass is actually pretty good, as are most saltwater fish, even when they are a bit on the large size, but I think it's the salt that does it. With freshwater I actually like my fish in the 10-12" range, if they could be kept legally.
these were rainbow trout. maybe some wild caught trout taste better. all of the fresh salt water fish ive eaten has been good.

my bil caught some crappie out of springville bottoms one time and had a big fish fry. those were the strongest, fishy tasting fresh water fish ive ever had. my wife quit eating fresh caught fish after that. i dont think he ice shocked them after he caught them out of the tannic water in springville bottoms.

Specializedjon

You do realize one of the Moderators on here is @Crappie Luck ??? 🤣🤣

It was nice knowin you bro :oops:

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

(we're laughing right??)

Specializedjon

Holy crap! Didn't know there were that many fish, let alone rattle them off like that.

Who knew so many fish were "fiddlers" 😆

Omega

Holy crap! Didn't know there were that many fish, let alone rattle them off like that.

Who knew so many fish were "fiddlers" 😆
Ha, I'm with you, actually had to look them up. I recall back in the late 80s I had to carry a laminated sheet to Id any fish I caught off Carolina beach to make sure I didn't keep anything not in season. Now with the internet so handy, you can practically scan the fish and it will tell you what it is.

Latest posts