Confused on this deer what say you

BSK

If it was killed in TN, definitely a trophy! Most Fallow deer have a prominent Adam's Apple in the upper neck region, this doesn't. My guess is sika, the mystery will continue for me. What say you BSK?
I wish I could see more of the antlers. Body-shape-wise and coloration-wise, Fallow and Sika deer are similar, but their antlers are different. Fallow deer have palmated racks (like a moose), while Sika have antlers closer to an elk. However, when it comes to TN logistics, I know certain areas raised Fallow deer years ago (LBL). I know of no one raising Sika deer in TN. If this was truly a TN kill, I would go with Fallow deer.

bobbuck

I wish I could see more of the antlers. Body-shape-wise and coloration-wise, Fallow and Sika deer are similar, but their antlers are different. Fallow deer have palmated racks (like a moose), while Sika have antlers closer to an elk. However, when it comes to TN logistics, I know certain areas raised Fallow deer years ago (LBL). I know of no one raising Sika deer in TN. If this was truly a TN kill, I would go with Fallow deer.
They raise Sika deer at Wilderness Hunting Lodge.

Union Co. Boy

Saw one hit on the interstate at Monterey once. Spent a lot of time with some friends who own a preserve and they do escape occasionally. In fact, they couldn't keep Aoudad inside the fence. They would hook their legs in and climb out. The rack on that picture looks like it's starting to palmate at the border of the pic, and the coat and neck structure just look more like fallow than sika to me.

swd

Don't think it's a sika. Their hide is darker and more like an elk. I would agree with fallow or some kind of hybrid.

crawford3546

There's a guy around Hartsville that has both Sitka and Fallow. The area hunters kill them frequently. Drove by there last Wednesday and one of the females was across the road on a neighbor.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Is it supposed to be tagged before dragged? Does it count against the bag limit for antlered deer? Back with the Red Deer, there was no limit for either sex.

Dodge Man

BE82150A-CC63-4B57-B536-FF60E6C4149D.jpeg

I say juvenile fallow deer.

tdt5446

There is one thing for certain about this deer! The young hunter that shot it made a dang near perfect shot from the way the pic looks. This picture has created a lively discussion about different deer species and that is what makes this forum special! The next question is, how does it taste and is it better baked, bbqed, fried, stewed, or smoked? Thanks for a great post, you guys are great and would like to meet some of you in a real life setting! Good luck this weekend with a ML this weekend.

Latest posts