Conditioning Deer to Human Odor/Scent

gatodoc

Will they block scent? Oh yes! Are they dangerous to be around? Oh yes...
I oftentimes hand a small battery powered ozone generator out of the window of my elevated sportsmans condo on the downwind side. I don't know if it helps or not, but I can't smell any ozone inside the stand and I see no negative reaction from downwind deer. I'm probably wasting my time, but I think it might help prevent some of my leaking scent being as noticable...

Omega

See I was going to say the exact opposite. You would think with all the training that goes on within post they would be really used to human interference. But they take off on me on post quick. Now I mainly do 99% of my hunting on base and have so for a while now. So maybe I forget how skittish deer on private land and national forests are.
Oh, they won't stick around if they see or hear you, but they won't avoid training areas unless they are currently being used my a bunch of troops. But now and then they will stop a range due to deer, and they will also hang out in off limits areas, even if there is an adjacent area with human activity. At Ft Bragg, they would hang out between the firing points and impact areas, not even looking when a 155 shell made impact.

trout

I have used an ozone generator on my clothes in a bag with good success. While I can still smell the ozone on my clothes in the field, deer are sometimes curious but rarely blow out. I would be reluctant to use an ozone generator on stand.

Rakkin6

Oh yeah we always stopped firing out on range 52(5th Groups Ranges) when deer would be on the range. They would walk out there while we were letting loose with 240B. But has soon has I walk into 09A, 20 etc. they are gone lol

OffHand85

During the rut though, with increased hormones would the bucks be more wary of scents? Colder weather, our diets change throughout the year like wild animals, increased traffic associated with changing of seasons, putting the deer on their toes.
mover the summer checking trail cams your scent is there at certain times of the day and stronger, during the winter your scent changes and is there at different times, like bass fishing every thing plays a role in behavior.

Latest posts