Comments please on hang on stands.

BossAF

I purchased a Zodiac at Dicks when it was on sale for $79. I absolutely love it! The mesh seat design is the way to go for comfort.

Brownie

Agreed that accidents may be more likely in a lock-on or a climber, but only if you're negligent imo....If you are safe when hanging and climbing in and out then you have nothing to worry about. I don't rely on just one strap for my hang ons. I put an extra ratchet strap around the bottom and then also a cable lock. I use a lineman's belt to climb into the stand and when I get to the bottom of the stand (about to step out onto the stand) I also tie into the tree above the stand before unclipping my lineman's belt so that I'm always attached. If for some reason the stand was to break or give and throw me off..I'll be hanging with plenty of climbing sticks to get my bearings with...

Here's a question...If your ladder stand breaks or if your climber breaks or drops out from underneath you, what are you going to do?? You'll be stuck hanging from your harness..if it happens with a lock-on and you're strapped in, you can easily climb down your steps.

Brownie

That said, I use the gorilla stands...although they are a bit heavy when hanging...May buy a couple of aluminum stands for next season. A buddy of mine has the Millinium 100 and I've sat in that thing...only problem I would have is staying awake!

dsa5455

Winchester said:
Hang ons are a great tool that's needed in any serious hunters bag of tools! I recommend the climbing sticks that come in sections, as you can use as many as is needed per situation, and move these around the tree, over limbs, etc. where the one piece sticks have to basically go straight up the tree all in one piece, not as versatile. I also use a system called "treehopper" which is great on private property. Its basically an auger bit that fits any cordless drill, and 8 inch hardened pins that go in the holes you drill. I can install a hang on in 5 mins start to finish with this system and it weighs about a quarter of climbing sticks. I also use Loggy Bayou hang on stands that literally slide in a bracket that hangs on the tree. I can have a half dozen brackets hanging on a property with pins already installed in these trees ( I remove bottom 3 to keep people from stealing anything). I then can carry my 7 lb loggy and simply walk up the pins and drop my stand in the bracket and Im ready to hunt in less than a minute. Great system for these steep mtns here where a long walk is the norm. Makes me very mobile without losing time or making noise.

Good points.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
in the dog house! said:
Ummmm safety for one thing :eek: I can't do it without the rail around me :D
When I use a small hang on stand I look for just the right tree with 2 trunks that make a V. Sitting in a stand with a tree in front of and behind me gives me a good feeling of security. It also gives you some extra mobility for a wider range of shots .
I do agree the little strap on stands just hanging out there give me the willies.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Re Hanging stands:

I use tohang 50-60 a year. Most of ours were Gorilla. We used the climbing sections on most and a few had Rapid Rails. On average, it would take us about 40-minutes per stand and that included clearing shooting lanes etc. Just to hang the stand was maybe 10-minutes. There are some tricks that keep it from being hard work.

First we used climbing belts that kept our hands free. A simple hammer and one big nail held the stand in place while securing it with ratchets. I am 70-years old and hung two stands this year with no help and did not break a sweat.

Also, on my perosnal stands here, I used nothing but a cordless drill, a tree-hopper bit and stove bolts. Drill the hole in at a slight upward angle, insert the bolt and you have steps wherever you need them.

UTGrad

Brownie Boy said:
Here's a question...If your ladder stand breaks or if your climber breaks or drops out from underneath you, what are you going to do?? You'll be stuck hanging from your harness.

My seat and platform sections on my Summit Viper are securely connected with Third Hand Archery stabilizer straps. My climber is the safest way to climb. I'm tethered to the tree the entire time I'm ascending or descending the tree. If my platform slips it is securely connected to my seat and can be recovered quickly.

I highly recommend these Third Hand Stabilizer straps for anyone with a climber. When cinched down tight it makes the climber rock solid! Watch the video in the link for product demonstration.

http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=13

landman

I've got to were we will use a ladder to hang stands, I don't usually go deep into the woods, I have plenty of access roads on my land, my stands are along these roads. Drive up set ladder against tree is a lot easy hanging stands and hanging climbing sticks.

But I feel I'm going to start changing them out to ladders on several sets next year, more for ease of use and safety, just go to decide on which stand, if it won't last 10 years then forget it

fairchaser

UTGrad said:
Brownie Boy said:
Here's a question...If your ladder stand breaks or if your climber breaks or drops out from underneath you, what are you going to do?? You'll be stuck hanging from your harness.

My seat and platform sections on my Summit Viper are securely connected with Third Hand Archery stabilizer straps. My climber is the safest way to climb. I'm tethered to the tree the entire time I'm ascending or descending the tree. If my platform slips it is securely connected to my seat and can be recovered quickly.

I highly recommend these Third Hand Stabilizer straps for anyone with a climber. When cinched down tight it makes the climber rock solid! Watch the video in the link for product demonstration.

http://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=13

Those straps look pretty cool. I gonna try some. Thanks

Latest posts